Krank Krankenstein: Yay or nay?

PurityS.L.G

Being serious. Version 1. Not the KT88 + version. I haven’t tried one in forever. My only memory of it was it sounded huge but it has a set it and forget it eq. Not much room for EQ flexibility thanks to sweep knob.

Only thing those were ever good for... Trash amp.
IMG_13327120501966.jpeg

People always talk trash on those amps. They're not bad.

It's not an 80's Rock amp. Far from it. It's not a Djent amp either. It's sort of scoopy in a good way. Not into that? Then move along.

It's very 90's-sounding. Kinda like a 5150 or a Rectifier. Not dead on like either of those, but in that kind of vein, except not nearly as saturated. It's very dry and attacky with a grainy flavor to the distortion.

It needs some volume for it not to sound like a beehive... but are Rectos or original 5150's any different?

Benefits from a boost as well.

People say it's hard to dial in... it's not THAT hard once you know what you're doing. Sweep between 9:30-10:30. Presence low... like 9-10:00 at most. Those are kind of the unique-ish controls. Other than that, dial the tone stack as you would any other amp for 90's/2000's Metal tone: Bass 11-12:00-ish, Mid 10-11:00-ish, Treble 11-12:00-ish.

Last edited:
Built relatively well too.
Some reasonable parts but kind of shitty PCB layout.

They're very good sounding amps, I think Krank was around in a totally different marketplace 20 years ago and its probably an easier climate for smaller amp brands to exist now than back then because of social media.

Krankenstein is basically a Revolution with a few extra tweaks Dimebag wanted. They're sort of implemented in a bit of a hack way that can lead to odd tones if you don't use it right. From memory you keep the channel master cranked and then the tone is decent. I think they added some extra volume controls for Dime and they kind of suck tone so its best to dial them out of the circuit.

The Revolution (what it is based on) is sort of a modded JCM800 style circuit, but with a plate driven EQ, and the power amp has no NFB (the presence control is at the end of a preamp kind of like a Vox style), Presumably its very similar for the Krankenstein.

If the price is good, I'd say go for it. I can name more albums with a Krankenstein as the guitar tone than I can from many others. Probably worth having a tech go over it though.

They can be pretty good. The quality on some are questionable but you can get them “fixed” for long hard use. Watch olas video on how he sets it up pretty much dead on. Boost of course and a gate really make it jump out at you. I toured with 2 still have them. I have the plus model like my waist size these days I prefer it hahah

I think for the money you can get them, they are a good pick in the future value and tone wise for what they are.

I would rock it just based off of the stl amphub model.
Yeah that’s actually what influenced me to ask you guys honestly. STL model sounds great and blends so well with other amps.

I havent played one in forever but wasnt a bad amp, many years ago somebody posted some nice clips, mighta been erock but i cant remember.
Oh yeah, I remember him having one and he was one of the very few that spoke fondly of it. I wonder which model it was. I’ll have to dig a little and find out

I had a Rev 1 + for a little while ..... like someone else mentioned .... it's an absolute beast ..... but the contour knob kind of limits the voice of the amp ..... the mids kind of sit in a weird space .... is the best way I could describe it

I had the matching Krankenstein cab for some time. Voiced on the darker side but massive sounding so I have to assume the amp is on the bright side.

i just remember the one ozzfest i went to back in the 00's and a had a working pass to check out everyones rigs, back at the old place everyone was gushing all over the incredible 5150 tones as i lay dying and a couple other bands had, it was really kranks though. even with photo proof no one was buying it lol

Back