Which Rectifier is right for me? If any?

Jdub

I have never owned a rectifier but am thinking I might like one. Seems to be quite popular around here. I didn't care for much of the 90's music other than AIC and I always associated Rectos with bands like Creed... which I don't care for... although Cantrell used them a bit I have always gravitated to the Marshall sound and Marshall derivatives.. I have that base covered and oddly find myself gassing for a Recto of some kind, but there so so many to choose from.

I play in a cover and we do tons of Rush but also mixed back of rock, hard rock and metal covers. Ozzy, Maiden, AIC, Sabbath, Dio, Metallica, Megadeth etc... ironically we also do so an STP tune and a couple Foo Fighter songs.. Amps I currently have but not using much... Mesa MKIV rev B, 2 Marshall JCM 800 4104, 1966 Bassman, DSL 50. I am using a Friedman BE100 Deluxe and JEL 20 in a W/d configurations. It does all I need and sounds great. But the never-ending GAS always gets the best of me. I don't need another amp, but I WANT one.. Lol.. Thinking Rectifier.. which one do you all think is the best one for me to get..

The ones I can think of are
Tremoverb
Badlander
Road King
plus the myriad of ones just called dual or triple rectifiers

I get lost looking at them.

Maybe a few options.
1. best choice of readily available models
2. Best choice regardless of availability and price
3. Best overall

Thanks a bunch for any input.

Jason

The bands you listed (maiden, megadeth etc) just make me think of a Marshall. But, I’ve owned many of the revisions (c, d, f) and mods (JT and Hermansson).

The badlander will be more familiar to you than many other common rectifier types. They’re also relatively cheap. The rev c or d might be more your style but they are almost impossible to find and insanely expensive. You can also do a boost and swap in el 34 into a common rev g if you want and that might make you feel more comfortable with the sound. The rectifiers really excel with a boost for big chunky rhythm and has a distinct sound which may not fit for sound or feel for some of those bands. Some it would (foo fighters listed). But it’s a great tool to have and a rev g can be had pretty cheap

I'd look at a Tremoverb. They're more flexible and one of the most beloved versions. They're a bit larger and heavier than regular Dual Rectifiers.

Runner up would be a standard two-channel Dual Rectifier (aka Rev G). Creed is a pretty good representation of their basic tone.

I wouldn't bother with the more obscure revisions or original 3-channel models. Some people like the Multiwatt, so if you need three separate tones maybe look into them.

In a similar boat - generally prefer Marshally tones but like the idea of a rectifier. Based on what I’ve read:

Early Duals and Triples, Revisions C through F:

Get progressively darker, looser and (marginally) less expensive as you move from C to F. Still the most expensive rectifier amps out there due to age/rarity.

Rev G:

The classic rectifier sound we all know. Darker and a bit looser than Rev F but can be tube swapped and boosted to tighten things up.

Tremoverb:

A Rev G with tremolo and reverb, nice clean channel and some extra voicing options.

Later 3 Channels:

Seem to the the least popular, although some say the earliest of these are on par with the Rev Gs.

RoadKing:

4 channels and loads of features, including the ability to switch the tubes being used on the fly. Voiced darker than the Rev G.

Roadster:

A RoadKing with fewer features - e.g: no option to switch tubes on the fly.

MultiWatt:

Seems popular. Brighter and tighter than a Rev G, apparently voiced like a Rev F. MultiWatt functionality (obviously!)

BadLander:

Marketed as the most Marshally rectifier. Seems to be the latest in a line of rectifier amps that were trying to balance Mesa and Marshall tones (ie: Stiletto Stage I and II, ElectraDyne, Triple Crown). I have a Stage I Stiletto and a 2204 JMP and they do share some tonal similarities depending on how you set them, but the Stiletto does retain the Mesa flavour.

I’m sure there’s stuff I’ve missed that others will jump in on / correct.

You’ll probably find demos / head to heads of most of these amps on YouTube, which will give you a flavour of which (if any) might work for you

Last edited:
I was sorta in the same boat. I ended up with a 3 channel solo that sounded like garbage. Then I started looking for a 2 channel. I would have been happy with any two channel, but I found a Roadster for a great price and went with that. The Roadster sounds exactly like the Recto I was looking for.

In your position, I would look for a Multiwatt. It will give you a Recto tone that is voiced similar to a RevF plus much more versatility. And, they are probably the easiest to find and a good start into the Recto territory.

If you don`t care about versatility, a Tremoverb, RevF or RevG would be good choices as well. Don`t bother looking into C and D, the prices are insane and probably only justified for real fanboys.

Stay away from the non-MW 3 channels. As a Marshall-guy you probably won`t get happy with them.

Not sure about the Badlander, but AFAIK it will not give you the big wall of sound Rectos are known for.

I love recs but I’m a mesa fanboy. Tremoverb is my favorite followed by the rectoverb. Least favorite is the roadking. It of course is the most flexible but all I did was constantly fuck with it. They are super flexible but the one thing they are known for they excel at…grrrrchuggachugga…to be honest though the mark iv is my favorite mesa ever. Honestly with your amp stable I would not worry about one….unless it’s just the gas gnawing at your soul…this I understand…

The Tremoverb is a cool amp for funk and fusion.
I have a Triple Solo 3 Channel, no idea what revision, black faced with chrome chassis. Its ok, doesn’t get used alot but it sounds good with the 7 string.
Needs the treble to zero trick for me.

The Tremoverb is a cool amp for funk and fusion.
I have a Triple Solo 3 Channel, no idea what revision, black faced with chrome chassis. Its ok, doesn’t get used alot but it sounds good with the 7 string.
Needs the treble to zero trick for me.
That’s a really overlooked trick. I think it helps a lot personally.

Why a rectifier?

For versatility, it seems a Mark VII or V would be a better fit.

FWIW, I was down to Mark VII vs JP-2C; I got the JP-2C, does more of what I want from a Mesa.

Rectifiers rule. If you want to just dip your toe in and see how they are I’d get a used multi watt. Usually priced reasonably and they do kick ass. If you love it then go down the rabbit hole with the early ones and all that later.

Single Rectifiers, the 50 watt one (or the rectoverb) are probably the least expensive on the used market and would give you an idea on the higher gain channel if recto is for you. I’m also attuned to Marshall DNA as my sound but I did get a Tremoverb to have a recto for fun. They’re big and fat and fun in a room but can be a bear to record vs. Marshall type circuits. I got a Tremoverb by sheer happenstance as a GC (pre Covid) had one when I was in and the price was good, it sounded good, so I got it. Wasn’t on a mission to get that specifically. Tried a new multi watt very recently and it’s Orange vintage gain sound was a shadow of what my Tremoverb sounds like. Didn’t like it all but the clean channel sounded very good and got some good medium gain rock tones with the gain up. But no one usually buys a recto for those tones.

Are you in the U.S? You should be able to find one to try, whether it’s used or new.

I have had the rect-o-verb and still have a Roadking II. I've played thru double rect (have no idea which revision).

I love them, kinda loose on the low end which a boost w/ eq or just eq alone helps a lot. I love the roadking but if you get option paralysis it is not the amp for you. If you love tons of options and ability to change and combine EL34+6l6 then it is a good choice

Got a Mark VII in january. never thought I would get a mark, but I love it.

Why a rectifier?

For versatility, it seems a Mark VII or V would be a better fit.

FWIW, I was down to Mark VII vs JP-2C; I got the JP-2C, does more of what I want from a Mesa.
Because it is different that what I have and have had over and over again... Something new and fresh to my ears. I always skipped over the Rectos. Same withe Uberschall. I had one for a few days, but it was damaged in shipping... so I made " The infamous "Bogner... Built to Last " video that went viral in a bad way... Lol.. then gave it back to UPS after a nice little roughing up of my own... some people on here will know what that was all about. LOL

I have a Mark IV if I want Mark tones...

Reactions: rsm
In a similar boat - generally prefer Marshally tones but like the idea of a rectifier. Based on what I’ve read:

Early Duals and Triples, Revisions C through F:

Get progressively darker, looser and (marginally) less expensive as you move from C to F. Still the most expensive rectifier amps out there due to age/rarity.

Rev G:

The classic rectifier sound we all know. Darker and a bit looser than Rev F but can be tube swapped and boosted to tighten things up.

Tremoverb:

A Rev G with tremolo and reverb, nice clean channel and some extra voicing options.

Later 3 Channels:

Seem to the the least popular, although some say the earliest of these are on par with the Rev Gs.

RoadKing:

4 channels and loads of features, including the ability to switch the tubes being used on the fly. Voiced darker than the Rev G.

Roadster:

A RoadKing with fewer features - e.g: no option to switch tubes on the fly.

MultiWatt:

Seems popular. Brighter and tighter than a Rev G, apparently voiced like a Rev F. MultiWatt functionality (obviously!)

BadLander:

Marketed as the most Marshally rectifier. Seems to be the latest in a line of rectifier amps that were trying to balance Mesa and Marshall tones (ie: Stiletto Stage I and II, ElectraDyne, Triple Crown). I have a Stage I Stiletto and a 2204 JMP and they do share some tonal similarities depending on how you set them, but the Stiletto does retain the Mesa flavour.

I’m sure there’s stuff I’ve missed that others will jump in on / correct.

You’ll probably find demos / head to heads of most of these amps on YouTube, which will give you a flavour of which (if any) might work for you
Thanks very much for taking the time to make this summary.. Much appreciated.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. Uber versus Recto? I suppose that is another thread altogether...

Because it is different that what I have and have had over and over again... Something new and fresh to my ears. I always skipped over the Rectos. Same withe Uberschall. I had one for a few days, but it was damaged in shipping... so I made " The infamous "Bogner... Built to Last " video that went viral in a bad way... Lol.. then gave it back to UPS after a nice little roughing up of my own... some people on here will know what that was all about. LOL

I have a Mark IV if I want Mark tones...
That was you? If that’s the one I’m thinking of then you sir are a gatdam legend….🫵🫡🫡🫡

The bands you listed (maiden, megadeth etc) just make me think of a Marshall. But, I’ve owned many of the revisions (c, d, f) and mods (JT and Hermansson).

The badlander will be more familiar to you than many other common rectifier types. They’re also relatively cheap. The rev c or d might be more your style but they are almost impossible to find and insanely expensive. You can also do a boost and swap in el 34 into a common rev g if you want and that might make you feel more comfortable with the sound. The rectifiers really excel with a boost for big chunky rhythm and has a distinct sound which may not fit for sound or feel for some of those bands. Some it would (foo fighters listed). But it’s a great tool to have and a rev g can be had pretty cheap.
That was you? If that’s the one I’m thinking of then you sir are a gatdam legend….🫵🫡🫡🫡
Yeah that was me.. Haha

Back