5153 blue channel changes. True or false?

It would be nice if someone could take some good shots of the board on the Stealth. Would love to see exactly what they did on the red and blue channels and how the resonance controls are hooked up

Ok.... Update. I ended up undoing this mod. While It did add more gain to the blue channel, it also effected the tone of the red channel. For me that was a deal breaker. It took some of the low mid thump out. And since I'm a hack player, I pretty much depend on the low mid thump to make me sound better. Some people may like it, but it wasn't for me.

SFW":2q21datb said:
Ok.... Update. I ended up undoing this mod. While It did add more gain to the blue channel, it also effected the tone of the red channel. For me that was a deal breaker. It took some of the low mid thump out. And since I'm a hack player, I pretty much depend on the low mid thump to make me sound better. Some people may like it, but it wasn't for me.
i didn't notice any difference in my red channel.

no difference in the red on mine either.

Hmmm what year amp?
maybe a preamp tube on the way out, but like i said i did not notice any difference in ch3.

maybe now that your ch2 has more gain it lets your ears hear how ch3 is more compressed than ch2?? ch2 is less compressed than ch3.
just a thought. let us know if you figure it out.

donho":foxghgjh said:
no difference in the red on mine either.

Hmmm what year amp?
maybe a preamp tube on the way out, but like i said i did not notice any difference in ch3.

maybe now that your ch2 has more gain it lets your ears hear how ch3 is more compressed than ch2?? ch2 is less compressed than ch3.
just a thought. let us know if you figure it out.
Yeah the difference is more apparent I guess. This is why I want to see the full Stealth board to see what they did to the red channel.

The compression on the red channel has never bothered me. But when I did the mod it sucked some of the bottom end out and made it sound harsh. As soon as I put it back to stock the harshness when away. I can live with less gain in the blue channel to keep the amp smoother.

SFW":2wn8dpqi said:
The compression on the red channel has never bothered me. But when I did the mod it sucked some of the bottom end out and made it sound harsh. As soon as I put it back to stock the harshness when away. I can live with less gain in the blue channel to keep the amp smoother.
I don't see how modding the gain on the blue channel would affect the tone of the red.

Just for some fun here's some video of my OZZY tribute band playing at the House of Blues in Houston last Friday night. I used both my ivory standard 100 watt haflstacks in stereo using the blue channel with a slight boost. I'm too nervous to try the mod. I love my blue channel way to much. Don't want to void my warranty either.

SFW":24csn7d1 said:

The mod should have no effect on the red channel. The red channel has it's own separate signal path.

The mod effectively makes the blue channel the same as the blue channel in the 50W version.

victim5150":17o85kl9 said:
Just for some fun here's some video of my OZZY tribute band playing at the House of Blues in Houston last Friday night. I used both my ivory standard 100 watt haflstacks in stereo using the blue channel with a slight clean boost.
Damn man, great band and great job dude. You guys are nailin it right there! Wish keyboard guy was just a hair lower, or you a bit louder in the mix (could have been the position of the camera too). Very well done right there man. If you get a chance, post another tune from this. Over the mountain was just crankin up at the end. Anyways, reference the blue channel with your clean boost on it, are you wide open on the gain on this channel and boosting or do you boost with the gain pulled back a touch. Also, like in the mellow section of "I don't know", do you just switch off the boost and roll back the guitar a tad for this part or go to the clean channel. Personally, I don't like the clean all that much on my 5153 100watter. Thanks and again, very cool performance brother!
Len

Thanks Len. Ya, the keyboards were too loud at first. Our keyboardist does the "Ozzy intro" so the soundman had him a bit louder at the start of our set from what we had it at soundcheck. Gonna remember to nudge my volume knob up a hair before we go on from now on. But by the 2nd verse he's got it worked out pretty well. As for the amp, I have the blue channel dimed. I'm using a Clinch Fx Pico Pre and a MXR CAE Boost/ Line Driver. The Clinch Fx is always on and the MXR I use for leads. The Clinch Fx is basically the preamp from an Echoplex. It adds the slightest amount of gain. Just enough where I like it for rhythm's but also adds a little something to the tone. I then use the MXR for leads to just get a little bit more. I'm using a G system iB modified for my effects so the MXR is in one of the loops of the G system. I have it set to be on with my lead presets. For the middle section of the song I'm just rolling the guitars volume down. Here's a couple of more videos from the show.

Over the Mountain

Suicide Solution

Bark at the Moon

War Pigs

Victim, those clips sound killer!

On a side note, I think I am going to try this again. I think a lot of what I was hearing was a new cab that is in serious need of speaker break in.

Victim's Ozzy tribute band is top shelf and he's a monster guitar player. We've been going through the 5150III thing since they came out. He knows his way around the amp for sure and gets one of the best live tones with the standard 100w that I have heard. Ozzy (or Sharon) is going to catch a glimpse of him on YouTube and it'll only be a matter of time till he is sharing the stage with the Prince of Darkness.

Lmao! I don't know about that brother but thank you for the kind words guys. We have been at this awhile now haven't we nevusofota? Originally I was using the red channel just cause the blue didn't have quite enough gain and I didn't feel like boosting but I think you talked me into it. The blue channel is the bomb. Let me know how the mod works out for you SFW. I'm really weary about modding mine but I would if it doesn't change the tone at all. We're both in Houston so we could compare amps. I have a first run 100 watt and a later model 2013 maybe? and a Stealth. So lets keep in touch and get together sometime. Still need to check out you band live too. I dig the tunes and the tone I've heard from your clips. It's almost impossible to get a chance to check out other bands when your in a regularly gigging band unless your playing a gig with them. LOL!

victim5150":3hcot1jl said:
Lmao! I don't know about that brother but thank you for the kind words guys. We have been at this awhile now haven't we nevusofota? Originally I was using the red channel just cause the blue didn't have quite enough gain and I didn't feel like boosting but I think you talked me into it. The blue channel is the bomb. Let me know how the mod works out for you SFW. I'm really weary about modding mine but I would if it doesn't change the tone at all. We're both in Houston so we could compare amps. I have a first run 100 watt and a later model 2013 maybe? and a Stealth. So lets keep in touch and get together sometime. Still need to check out you band live too. I dig the tunes and the tone I've heard from your clips. It's almost impossible to get a chance to check out other bands when your in a regularly gigging band unless your playing a gig with them. LOL!

I just started another thread with a clip of the modded amp. I think you played the same night at HOB as my singers Cult tribute band. You're welcome to come out for a practice night at check the amp out.

Yes, they were the first band that night. They sounded great. My wife's a big Cult fan and had nothing but praise for them. Will probably take ya up on that man. Thanks!

Back