Unexpected NGD - 1975 Gibson Les Paul Custom

Bad.Seed

Walk into my local music store as I usually do on Fridays, just to check and see what they have going on. Every now and then I'll find a crazy deal, or something interesting.

Lo and behold, I asked my buddy if they had anything cool in and he pointed me to a 1975 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black beauty. As soon as I looked at it it caught my eye, as I have been lusting over a vintage Les Paul. I own many, but none of them are anywhere near the vintage realm. And I figured that was the next natural step as a collector to grab something like that.

They had it listed at $3,000 plus tax, and even though it felt really nice in the hands, I wasn't looking to spend that anytime soon. So I said cool take a stroll on left. I was walking the dogs later that night and thinking about things that I could get rid of it they can meet me at the price that I was willing to pay. I texted him back and said make me a better price, he said 2650 at the door. I said if you'll do 2,500, I'll do it right now. He agreed, and I went up there and grab it and came home with it.

Has the original t-top pickups, although the bridge one is so microphone and I can't use it under any sort of moderator High game. So they're going to look at that for me, but I swapped in a Gibson 496 into the bridge, which is a surprisingly nice sounding Bridge pickup for the time being.

the guitar is all original, as far as I can tell. It's definitely been played in love to, but that's what I wanted. Vintage guitar with some mojo to it. I'm sure a lot of guys don't use vintage instruments for thrash metal, but this will definitely be getting heavy rotation and gigging play from me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190803-090955_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190803-090955_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,284
  • Screenshot_20190803-091033_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190803-091033_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 919
  • Screenshot_20190803-091047_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190803-091047_Gallery.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,319
Nothing beats a great Les Paul!! Happy New Old Gibson Day!!!! Thankful to have found a few new ones that sound great, but I’ve always wanted a vintage 70’s faded white LPC :rock:

Bad.Seed":2ye92oyt said:
Has the original t-top pickups, although the bridge one is so microphone and I can't use it under any sort of moderator High game. So they're going to look at that for me, but I swapped in a Gibson 496 into the bridge, which is a surprisingly nice sounding Bridge pickup for the time being.

Might just need to get that humbucker waxed up and it'll be good to go. :rock:

Ive tried to like them many times. Each and every Les Paul I bought ended up getting sold after 6 months tops.

Theyre just not for me somehow...

Nice guitar. I have a vintage dirty fingers that would be great in there. I could dig it out if your interested? Let me know.

errrrrl":27wkcjrg said:
Congrats man! Are the frets super flat aka the fretless wonder years?

Yes sir, it is a Fretless Wonder. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about it until I played it, and I definitely enjoy it. Plays effortlessly.

gtrwun":1653i75d said:
Nice guitar. I have a vintage dirty fingers that would be great in there. I could dig it out if your interested? Let me know.

I may be interested, depends on if the T-Top can be saved or not. Pm me the details

Looks killer!!! I was born in 1970...it sucks that 70s guitars are considered vintage now. Blarg, I'm old!!

gibson5413":3lo52w50 said:
Looks killer!!! I was born in 1970...it sucks that 70s guitars are considered vintage now. Blarg, I'm old!!

I was born in 1988, which would also be considered vintage at this point. Don't feel bad!

Bad.Seed":hc1konpq said:
errrrrl":hc1konpq said:
Congrats man! Are the frets super flat aka the fretless wonder years?

Yes sir, it is a Fretless Wonder. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about it until I played it, and I definitely enjoy it. Plays effortlessly.
I picked up a 91 Orville by Gibson LPC from Japan a few years ago. It was based off the fretless wonder years but I didn't know that. I actually thought some idiot sanded the frets down lol. At first I hated the damn thing and debated on getting it re-fret. I finally got use to it and it is now one of my most played guitars in the stable. Sounds great with a set of BK mules.... also picked up a 78 Gibson RD also fretless wonder.. its cool but not sure I want another fretless wonder :LOL: :LOL:

In 1988 I stumbled across my 1973 goldtop for $425.00, and it is still my #1 guitar. Take off that pickguard, and it changes the visual shape of the guitar in a very good way, in my opinion. :rock:

Back