EQ Pedal guys, see the Boss EQ200 yet?

Needs a different adapter though for it I think from when I read about it. That would be the only downfall, if that is indeed the case.

swamptrashstompboxes":3en22hep said:
Needs a different adapter though for it I think from when I read about it. That would be the only downfall, if that is indeed the case.

Yes it runs on 3 AA's so 5V. Likely has a 5V microcontroller, apparently they didn't want to buck down from the standard 9V. A number of power supplies have a sag down to 5V or dedicated 5V output.

I do like the concept on the boss of having actual sliders, but I wish they had an analog mode where its What you See is What you Get and it would bypass the AD and DA converters. The Source audio programmable EQ is another smaller option that runs on 9V.

I haven't seen this discussed much, but at some point if you have many digital pedals lined up and on, than you may be better to just go with a multi effects unit. Not sure at what point this makes sense, but I know I would not want my signal going through 10 AD/DA conversions before it gets to the amp.

blackba":hg5dblax said:
swamptrashstompboxes":hg5dblax said:

Yes it runs on 3 AA's so 5V. Likely has a 5V microcontroller, apparently they didn't want to buck down from the standard 9V. A number of power supplies have a sag down to 5V or dedicated 5V output.

I do like the concept on the boss of having actual sliders, but I wish they had an analog mode where its What you See is What you Get and it would bypass the AD and DA converters. The Source audio programmable EQ is another smaller option that runs on 9V.

I haven't seen this discussed much, but at some point if you have many digital pedals lined up and on, than you may be better to just go with a multi effects unit. Not sure at what point this makes sense, but I know I would not want my signal going through 10 AD/DA conversions before it gets to the amp.

The 5v thing sucks for me, but you could get it to work with a zener in the path of the power and knock it down.

I grabbed an EQ-200 and have it set up for using it in front as a driver to sharpened the edge and tighten the bottom end, and in the loop to dial in the tone. It is super flexible. You can use it many different ways. At first I thought I'd use it as a tone shaper with channel A and a lead boost with channel B, both in the loop but then I watched a few videos, it does very nice in front.
I use it with the 4 memories. I can set it to have 4 presets on both channels. That works well ifor Dimebag sound, Metallica sound, AC/DC, Hendrix tone at a push of a button, and it's simple enough to set on the fly at a gig to dial an amp in for the room. If I upgrade I'll have access to 128 memory presets.

It will take a few days to dial in, you know how that is!

If you look at the display, you will see how I have ch.A set with the low and highs chopped off for a thicker sound with no flub in the low and no piercing high end, just lush boosted mids. The EQ in the loop basically cuts the low lows and boosts the mid low 2 .db and I slightly scoop the mids and leave the highs alone and bam, the amp responds with more. That's what's good about EQ, you can A/B it and get a firm answer to if it's better or not, and man, it's better.

The Boss EQ-200 is a great way to shape and thicken your tone in any amp, I was inspired to put an EQ in the loop by my Boogies with their built-in GEQ. Sure the EQ-200 is digital, but it's super high grade 32 bit crazy good digital so I don't notice any artifacts or lag.

Out front - CFH wah, Vibe Unit, Chorus, EQ-200 ch.A to amp input. In the loop - Delay, Reverb, EQ-200 ch.B, MXR Micro Amp. The tuner comes off a spare output on the wah.

11/2/2020 by John Bazzano, on Flickr

skullfxr":22md1l2e said:
I looked into that and saw that it's a Boss money grab. I see dealers on line selling them with accessories like cords and power adapters that are not the PSA-S.

I had one of these, the AD/DA was shit, major tone killer, what a bummer. Same with the Behringer DEQ2496 and the Alesis DEQ830. I give up on digital equalizers.

I had one of these, the AD/DA was shit, major tone killer, what a bummer. Same with the Behringer DEQ2496 and the Alesis DEQ830. I give up on digital equalizers.

Well that sucks donkey balls Amos. Sounds like graphic EQs in general are not for you.

For me, the EQ 200 is great, but I play metal exclusively. The ability to save settings is crucial. I can get Dimebag, James or Eddie at a push of a button.

I've A/B'd it in and out of the line and it adds zero to the signal when off or when I take it out of the signal completely, as in not plugged in at all, or if it is in line when there is no sliders moved, it does not affect the tone. It is super powerful so if you move one slider one increment, you can hear it. I have the EQ in the loop for both sides. One for a tone change and the other as a lead thickener.

The AD/DA doesn't bother me. I could rock a Kemper, if I had to.

Well that sucks donkey balls Amos. Sounds like graphic EQs in general are not for you.
I use graphic EQ's all the time, they're crucial for dialing in my tone. I have some analog ones that don't color the tone whatsoever. Every digital EQ I've used, it's like it takes in your tone and puts out a lifeless facsimile on the other side, sort of like the difference between hearing live music versus a recording, or tube warmth versus solid state. I reccommend anyone using a digital EQ to compare their tone with the EQ set flat versus not having the EQ in the chain. World of difference to my ears, at least with the three units I mentioned.

So the Boss EQ is digital and requires A/D,D/A?

I'm a fan of great modeling and digital effects with true dry-through, but I tend to shy away from digital EQ.

I bought one recently and it sounds awesome. I love that you have 2 channels, so you can put it up front AND in the loop. This pedal runs on Boss's PSA-S power supply which is 9V 500ma. I power mine with a 9v terminal off my Cioks DC-7 no problem.

I bought one recently and it sounds awesome. I love that you have 2 channels, so you can put it up front AND in the loop. This pedal runs on Boss's PSA-S power supply which is 9V 500ma. I power mine with a 9v terminal off my Cioks DC-7 no problem.
Ive been running one for a year now and been powering it on a Strymon Zuma 9v 500ma banger as well. Knowing how to manipulate the EQ of the low end and mid section in front of the amp is so useful.

I have the Boss EQ-200 and sill haven't settled on how to use.
I mostly want to use it as a lead boost or maybe as a tonal change now and then.

I only use the four patches or banks available since I want easy access at a gig. Have any of you use other banks beyond bank#4? How do you toggle to the high banks? I have to check the manual.

I'm also curious how you all set it for leads and as a tone thickener. What are your key or favorite settings? For leads I normally just bump up the 800 slider and then make a little hill with the surrounding sliders. I forget my settings when I had a modified GE-7.
I also use the 400 slider for a low mid boost.

What do you all do? Just a slight bump of a few frequencies or is it best to make a slope, hence really boost up 400/800 and slightly increase the surrounding frequenciea or just the target frequencies. Also, do any of you lower the bass and high treble frequencies as well when creating a lead tone?

Do you use the level control to boost level or leave that flat? I think I had a variety of ways I used my GE-7, but so far with the EQ-200, I've kept the level flat and only raised or lowered frequencies. If I boost mids and lower lows and highs, I'll have to compensate by raising the level. I wish the level could be saved per bank since some banks I use a mid boost and some a mid boost with bass and treble reduced.

Thanks!

Back