NPD! Engl E530!

JerEvil

YdIs53Yl.jpg

r3Cez3sl.jpg

Stoked to have this guy! The E530 rig I had was actually the first thing I ever recorded way back in the old HCAF days.

I got this guy used but it looks damn new. Great price and still just a kick ass tone.

These things respond very well to boost pedals too, unlike certain other Engls

Nice Jer! So what other Engl are these close to in terms of voicing, gain structure, etc?
So from what I understand is that it is based on the Savage voicing. Much like how the Blackmore is a Savage variant as well.

I have to say, for not having been revoiced EVER in its lifespan, it really is just as aggressive as fuck! I’ll have some clips tonight hopefully.

I had the Mezzabarba set up through the KSR’s return so just swapped cables out to test this and make sure it wasn’t DOA, and it was Insta-:love:

These things respond very well to boost pedals too, unlike certain other Engls
Oh word? Yeah never boosted my old one. One thing I wish more amps had, like this does, is the separate low mid and high mid controls. Between those and the contour button there’s just a shit tone of tones.

Primal Fear used these preamps live with the big Marshall Power Amps for the tours over the first 3-4 albums - sounded awesome, enjoy!

Oh word? Yeah never boosted my old one. One thing I wish more amps had, like this does, is the separate low mid and high mid controls. Between those and the contour button there’s just a shit tone of tones.

Ya I always boosted mine with my keeley sd-1. Straight killed!

Those mid controls are indeed dope

Primal Fear used these preamps live with the big Marshall Power Amps for the tours over the first 3-4 albums - sounded awesome, enjoy!
Nice! I knew they used Engl’s but wasn’t sure which. I thought Savage. I LOVE that band. I have a total PF rip off tune written for the demo vid! Lol!

Nice find! Those are nice sounding for some heavies.
Yeah honestly between this and my modded Mezzabarba Nirvana, I could sell off a couple amps easily! I won’t, but I could...

Nice, will you be doing a demo video?
Oh absolutely!

Nice Jer, I remember you looking for one. Those things kick metal ass, good score. HNAD!
Yeah I was gonna hop on the one Billy was thinking of selling

You bastard. I have been searching for one of those. Congrats
Man this one fell in my lap on a FB group when I was asking about the E570. It’s like new and got it for quite a deal. It was the dudes backup apparently.

So from what I understand is that it is based on the Savage voicing...

I've read people saying that online a few times and I just don't see how it can be true. I've owned three E530's over the past 16 years and while I've never had the Savage head or the Blackmore, I do have the Synergy Savage preamp and a Russian copy of the Savage pre and they're not very similar to the E530 (aside from having "the Engl sound"). The E530 is more vintage sounding, I mean it's still great for modern metal but compared to the Savage it's looser and has a totally different sounding gain structure that sounds kind of smeared while the Savage it tight and focused. Also the Savage has that fuzzy/grainy thing going on from high notes all the way down to palm muted chugs while the E530 has a smoother low with the sizzle happening in the upper mids-highs.

Remember this little thing has a built-in 5W SS power amp...
You can use in with a guitar staight in-no power amp...
Check the manual...

I've read people saying that online a few times and I just don't see how it can be true. I've owned three E530's over the past 16 years and while I've never had the Savage head or the Blackmore, I do have the Synergy Savage preamp and a Russian copy of the Savage pre and they're not very similar to the E530 (aside from having "the Engl sound"). The E530 is more vintage sounding, I mean it's still great for modern metal but compared to the Savage it's looser and has a totally different sounding gain structure that sounds kind of smeared while the Savage it tight and focused. Also the Savage has that fuzzy/grainy thing going on from high notes all the way down to palm muted chugs while the E530 has a smoother low with the sizzle happening in the upper mids-highs.
Yeah I really want to check out a Savage but Ola’s clip has been the only one I’ve liked. Also the face that people still say the build quality is “meh” relative to the price and that the preamps are more well built. I think I’m gonna grab an E570.

Remember this little thing has a built-in 5W SS power amp...
You can use in with a guitar staight in-no power amp...
Check the manual...
Yeah I need to try that for sure!

Congrats! Great unit...always regretted selling mine
oh man me too. Glad this worked out.

Happy new preamp day! Funnily enough, I tried it the other day through my friend's PRS MT 15! It sounds really good although my peavey rockmaster sounds more aggressive and tight. I find the engl better for some lead stuff.

Nice! I knew they used Engl’s but wasn’t sure which. I thought Savage. I LOVE that band. I have a total PF rip off tune written for the demo vid! Lol!
They used both! Savages in the studio (possibly also for fly out / fest gigs) and the huuuuuge e530 rigs for tours. When I last saw them like 2-4 years ago, one guitarist had a Kemper I believe and the other was Marshall + a shit ton of pedals.

Back