Strat build

the rossness

I don’t have a true strat and I want to add some kind of stratocaster to my collection. I want it to have true single coil pickups (not single sized humbuckers), a classic tone and I want to have it wired for as many different strat tones as I can find. As for pickups, I think I want a SD Quarter Pound in the bridge and some sort of “surf” pickups” in the neck and middle positions.

As for the guitar itself, that’s what I’m here to ask?? I want a classic 3 single coil layout, at least 22 frets, rock-solid tuning stability, enormous frets. For a strat, Ash, mahogany, basswood, alder, popular are my choices (in that order) and I’d love to find something light weight. If I can keep the cost down, that would be great too, as this is more of an experimental guitar to add to my collection.

How should I start my build, what should be my base/ and what pickups and hardware would you recommend?

thanks in advance for any help. ✌️

Warmoth, Mighty Mite or a Carvin Bolt would be where I'd start.

If you're looking for a classic Strat sound, you might have to reevaluate your wood choices and that SD pickup.

If you want to keep it simple and classic, Alder or Ash body (usually Swamp Ash). You'll have to get yourself familiar with weights...lookup the weight of several lightweight Swamp Ash bodies and compare with Alder. You can specify lightweight Alder at some places but there might be a long lead time. For neck just keep it simple and go with Maple neck with either Maple or Rosewood fretboard, 6100 frets. You decide if you want it it chunky or slim. There are several options as mentioned above plus USA Custom. If you just keep it simple and classic it shouldn't cost too much. StewMac will be your friend. Lots of parts on ebay too.

Choose your bridge wisely. Vintage style Strat bridges have a very wide spacing. Check out Callaham for info on that. They have bridges with both spacings.

EDIT: I didn't mention them at first because they aren't cheap but I really love the Lollar Dirty Blackface set I put in my build. The bridge is way hotter than a typical Strat single coil (that's what the 'Dirty' stands for).

Last edited:
Warmoth, Mighty Mite or a Carvin Bolt would be where I'd start.

If you're looking for a classic Strat sound, you might have to reevaluate your wood choices and that SD pickup.
I like the quarter pound be cause its high output and strat sounding, without having too much top end bite. I remember playing a Richie Blackmore strat and thinking to myself, “where has this pickup been all my life?” It gave me high gain strat tones but still sounded like a strat pickup. Previously to that, I never liked a single coil bridge pickup.

I like the quarter pound be cause its high output and strat sounding, without having too much top end bite. I remember playing a Richie Blackmore strat and thinking to myself, “where has this pickup been all my life?” It gave me high gain strat tones but still sounded like a strat pickup. Previously to that, I never liked a single coil bridge pickup.
You just need to learn to work the tone control

I’d use 3 DiMarzio FS-1s like Yngwie, Knopfler, Norum, Gilmour etc.

Ash will be heavy unless it’s swamp ash.

I’d go with 21 fret if it were me.

I use a non fine tuning Floyd with no locknut and locking tuners, works great and feels like any modern super strat. In fact, order a neck from Musikraft and get it to Charvel spec if you’re a Charvel guy.
Good luck OP

How important is the 22 frets? and not 21?

There are a lot of options out there. Are you sure that you want a build? If not I would get a import G&L and swap pickups and tuners. I think that would be a cost effective route and if you didn't like it return to stock and resell.

Warmoth is the best option if you want to drop that much cash. I like their consistency and have put a bunch together at the shop I am a luthiery apprecice at.

Maybe you should try a Tele, then. Teles + high gain sound glorious. My American Pro Tele has become my #1 guitar for everything. Sounds great from blues to metal.

Oh and how much of the work are you doing?
When I say a “build” It should mean anything from buying parts to buying a guitar and upgrading it. G&L/Godin/Carvin/as well as a few others are on my radar. I can piece together a guitar- I just want to make sure parts are a drop in replacement. I don’t have the tools or knownow to redrill or reposition a bridge post as an example.

Just looking fir the best bang for my buck.

When I say a “build” It should mean anything from buying parts to buying a guitar and upgrading it. G&L/Godin/Carvin/as well as a few others are on my radar. I can piece together a guitar- I just want to make sure parts are a drop in replacement. I don’t have the tools or knownow to redrill or reposition a bridge post as an example.

Just looking fir the best bang for my buck.

OK. Good to know.

At that rate I would take the G&L or the Carvin bolt route.

Back