Replace back panel on guitar cabinet.. tone change?

Bash_Man

hey everyone,
Hope you're all doing well. I have a Vertical 212 Marshall cabinet. The cabinet is made of MDF wood and so is the back panel. However I've been thinking about getting a replacement Panel that's Birch Plywood.

But before I go spending the money on this, am I going to notice any tone change?

The cabinet currently has 2 Vintage 30 speakers.

Thanks

hey everyone,
Hope you're all doing well. I have a Vertical 212 Marshall cabinet. The cabinet is made of MDF wood and so is the back panel. However I've been thinking about getting a replacement Panel that's Birch Plywood.

But before I go spending the money on this, am I going to notice any tone change?

The cabinet currently has 2 Vintage 30 speakers.

Thanks
Google is your friend...I've thought it myself but as I researched it, not many guys thought it was worth it. I have put some foam batting in Ala Bogner, Rivera, etc and thought it was a nice change..focuses the sound more but the cab gets a little quieter, doesn't resonate as well as before.

I would say if the tone is suffering because of MDF, it’s because the main box is MDF. The back isn’t as important. I believe Marshall has been doing plywood main with an MDF back for many years.

The typical Marshall 1960 backpanel is chipboard, which is a bit different than MDF. Supposedly the chipboard sounds different than a plywood panel.

Google is your friend...I've thought it myself but as I researched it, not many guys thought it was worth it. I have put some foam batting in Ala Bogner, Rivera, etc and thought it was a nice change..focuses the sound more but the cab gets a little quieter, doesn't resonate as well as before.
Thank you. I did do a research and couldnt come across many results. Perhaps I didnt use the correct search term.

Hate to ask but would you be able to take some pics of how you installed the foam inside the cabinet?

Thanks

I would say if the tone is suffering because of MDF, it’s because the main box is MDF. The back isn’t as important. I believe Marshall has been doing plywood main with an MDF back for many years.
Thank you... and I would agree with you as well about the MDF. May be a good cabinet to have for home practice rather than band volume.

FWIW, my Fryette Fat Bottom 2x12 is a birch ply cabinet with an MDF back. Cab sounds great, I assume the MDF is intented for dampening.

Every guitar cab with MDF sides and baffle that I've ever heard sounded like ass and are also inefficient (gotta crank the amp to match the volume of a birch cab).

I wouldn't waste my time or money trying to improve an MDF cab, I'd wager your time would be better spent working towards a new plywood cab.

FWIW, my Fryette Fat Bottom 2x12 is a birch ply cabinet with an MDF back. Cab sounds great, I assume the MDF is intented for dampening.

Every guitar cab with MDF sides and baffle that I've ever heard sounded like ass and are also inefficient (gotta crank the amp to match the volume of a birch cab).

I wouldn't waste my time or money trying to improve an MDF cab, I'd wager your time would be better spent working towards a new plywood cab.
Thank you. that's what I am thinking I might just do, just save up for a new 2x12 cabinet.. looking at the Mojotone vertical British 2x12.

Thank you. I did do a research and couldnt come across many results. Perhaps I didnt use the correct search term.

Hate to ask but would you be able to take some pics of how you installed the foam inside the cabinet?

Thanks
It’s just stapled on the back panel covering it entirely. I took mine out of my Bogner cabinet. I like it better without. It sounds a bit more woody and less bass

Back