Stupid question but is there a noise gate for amp hiss?

romanianreaper

I got together with some buds yesterday and my Sentry pedal did a great job of cutting out the guitar noise but there was always this loud hiss from my 5150-III. Is that just there and I have to deal with it or is there anything to get rid of that? It is annoying.

Put your Sentry as the first pedal in your effects loop, and it should kill the amp hiss.

Noise gate in front kills feedback, guitar noise, etc..
Noise gate in loop kills amp hiss.

Get a Decimator II and take care of both.

Yeah, you just need a gate in your loop. Bonus points if you get one that goes in the loop, but has some sort of detecter input that goes in front of the amp like a Zuul or G String.

Looks like this Sentry is made by TC Electronics and has a similar set up as my Boss NS-2. To get rid of hiss from the amp the amp would need an effects loop and then you run the 'X' pattern. If you don't what that is, google Boss N2-2 "X" pattern and hook yours up that way.

Last edited:
1610993074852.png

The 4 cm. The noisegate needs to detect your signal straight from your pickups because that’s where it’s most dynamic and the transients are.

so That’s the signal to activate the gate. The actual gate needs to open and close in the loop because that will kill all the hiss.

personally, I try not to use a loop at all so I’ll just put it first in line after the guitar and be okay with the hiss.

also, a pedal like the horizons devices precision drive is great because they have a built in gate that kills its own hiss, if that makes sense. Works great in conjunction with/after another noise gate Awesome pedal.

Back