EVH 5150 III vs 6505+ comparison... Cleans + High gain

c_tecks

Cleans are definitely different, but high gain is really close!
I just matched the EQ settings, I think it can even sound closer with a little bit more tweaking.

On the gain side, they’re like slightly different shades of the same color. Both sounded great. On the clean side, the evh was definitely fuller sounding on its own than the peavey. Once you heard them in the mix, I liked both. The thin, clean sound of the peavey had a cool, distinctive character to it. Nice vid! (y)

They're a lot closer than I thought they'd be. Neat.

Sounds like the 5150 III occupies just a bit more of the spectrum with slightly extended highs and lows. Other than that, they seem quite close.

I think the EVH is a little more balanced and clear sounding, just a little bit. In the mix it almost doesn't matter at all.

BTW It's a pretty fucking generic tone. Both amps.

Did c_techs call your mom ugly or something?

Because I don’t remember reading “Check out my Totally Original Tone Which Is Definitely The Point Of This Thread” as the title of the thread, so being insulting towards that seems a bit uncalled for.

In the mix would a standard metal guitar HPF/LPF on the guitar track make the EVH sound even more similar to the 6505+ on the high gain parts? I’m a novice when it comes to mixing but the difference between the two kinda reminds me when I’ve experimented with some HPF/LPF on tracks - you lose a bit of the extreme highs and lows but you get a bit more focus / control... might just be talking out of my ass though :LOL:

All the 5150s have that iconic tone used on countless albums. We are so used to hearing "that" tone which is excellent in my opinion. I guess some would consider it generic since its an industry standard.

Great comparison vid! I thought the 6505+ cleans were more chimey and on the distortion in the mix part I thought the 5150iii popped more.

In the mix would a standard metal guitar HPF/LPF on the guitar track make the EVH sound even more similar to the 6505+ on the high gain parts? I’m a novice when it comes to mixing but the difference between the two kinda reminds me when I’ve experimented with some HPF/LPF on tracks - you lose a bit of the extreme highs and lows but you get a bit more focus / control... might just be talking out of my ass though :LOL:

I used some subtle HPF+LPF on the guitars, but definitely not as much as in a normal mix. Probably would make them sound even closer, yes.

I used some subtle HPF+LPF on the guitars, but definitely not as much as in a normal mix. Probably would make them sound even closer, yes.
Thanks for posting the comparison, was fun to hear them contrasted in such a straight forward / direct way :thumbsup:

That was pretty cool. Didn't think I would like the EVH as much as I did but yeah it sounded best to my ears. Cool vid!

Back