Splawn 2020 Mini Competition Video

As the owner of a Quick Rod, I think the "OD1/OD2" thing is a waste of time. Its such a tiny amount of gain that it might as well not be there.

As the owner of a Quick Rod, I think the "OD1/OD2" thing is a waste of time. Its such a tiny amount of gain that it might as well not be there.
Oh I quite like it on the Super sport, it's just another variation of the circuit. I like it more with single coil pickups than humbuckers.
I wish the Old/New switch was foot switchable

Last edited:
I have to agree. Id rather see that switch do something else like maybe have control over all 3 gears or switch effects loop on and off.

I have to agree. Id rather see that switch do something else like maybe have control over all 3 gears or switch effects loop on and off.

I will disagree. I love having OD1 and OD2 being footswitchable. Use it to help push a lead or to help certain rhythm parts pop out a bit. Very handy for me.

I want one of these. I was watching one before I bought the Runt, but the guy was asking too much. I love the small footprint.

I honestly never used it with either Competition, or Quick Rod I had. I felt it took away some rawness. I was a first gear/second gear user only. Never used third, ever.

I honestly never used it with either Competition, or Quick Rod I had. I felt it took away some rawness. I was a first gear/second gear user only. Never used third, ever.

Yeah I’m in the same boat with the QR. Gear one and Gear two are where it’s at.

Yeah, definitely share what you can. Do you find you have a good "give/sag/bounce" on the fingers with it despite it being pretty tight/dry without a lot of compression?

With the B+ engaged and a boost, it feels good to me. Using the boost and the gain at noon or above compresses things a bit on all of the gears.

I did notice that when I started using the QR that I cleaned up my playing a little bit. I notice when I miss a note or chord more than I did before. Not a big difference but it is not as easy to get away with sloppier playing on the QR than it was on some other amps but I like that about it. I can also run the gain higher on the QR without it falling apart. Depending on what I am going for however, the gain sits in the 11:00 to 1:00 range. Rarely do I go above 1:00.

I'm usually Gear 2 / OD2 / Koko or Bad monkey boosted / Treble = 0 / Presence on 1 oclock / Bass on 9 oclock / Gain at 2 oclock / volume at 11 oclock / loop volume at 3 oclock.

But I'm playing heavier stuff than your average Splawn owner.

With the B+ engaged and a boost, it feels good to me. Using the boost and the gain at noon or above compresses things a bit on all of the gears.

I did notice that when I started using the QR that I cleaned up my playing a little bit. I notice when I miss a note or chord more than I did before. Not a big difference but it is not as easy to get away with sloppier playing on the QR than it was on some other amps but I like that about it. I can also run the gain higher on the QR without it falling apart. Depending on what I am going for however, the gain sits in the 11:00 to 1:00 range. Rarely do I go above 1:00.
same here , I've been practicing a lot more since I got this head.
I tend to be living on Gear 1 OD1 gain at 11:00 volume at 11-12:00 cut back with the loop master boosting solos if need be with the BBE Pre Amp in the FX8, but my band does all classic hard rock, when I do my own thing I tend to go OD2 gain 1:00 old/mid cut -on for the Satch , Vinnie Moore Yngwie nonsense that I love to play. gives me a much smoother marshall tone than OD1 at lowr gain , that seems to 'bark" a bit more which is perfect.

I'm usually Gear 2 / OD2 / Koko or Bad monkey boosted / Treble = 0 / Presence on 1 oclock / Bass on 9 oclock / Gain at 2 oclock / volume at 11 oclock / loop volume at 3 oclock.

But I'm playing heavier stuff than your average Splawn owner.

I tried the zero treble setting and I didn't like where it put the EQ or something. My settings are always moving a little bit one way or the other but my treble is close to noon, mids at noon or just under, bass about 9:00 and presence up to 2:00. Maybe I am missing a lot of the high end from my hearing!

The Treble on 0 thing is a weird thing for sure. I made a thread about it here several years ago. For me, as I lower the treble slowly from 12 oclock to say 9 oclock you can hear the treble fall off but when it gets all the way down to 7:30 oclock or Off or '0' it opens back up to 'normal' but the tone feels a lot more full to me. Not sure if I explained that right. At that point, you use your presence to dial the treble in and out. But yeah, I've heard from plenty of other people that the whole Treble on '0' thing does nothing for them so no worries.

Hey guys, I'm back at RT. Here's another quick clip of the Comp with my new to me 1975 L6-S loaded with a Suhr SSV in the neck and SSH+ in the bridge. Really loving this amp ...

How long has it been now, a month since you got it? What’s your take a few weeks in? Does it lack anything compared to 100w?

How long has it been now, a month since you got it? What’s your take a few weeks in? Does it lack anything compared to 100w?

Obviously, it doesn't have the "smack you in the face" power of the QR. But, its much easier to get it in the "zone". I used to have to use an attenuator with my QR to get it in the zone without being too loud. With the Competition, I don't think I will have that problem. Also, the Competition doesn't have the gobs of low end that the QR has. I can actually turn the bass up a little more without stepping on the bassist and drummers domain... I'm really happy with the amp. I look forward to gigging with it this coming year.

Obviously, it doesn't have the "smack you in the face" power of the QR. But, its much easier to get it in the "zone". I used to have to use an attenuator with my QR to get it in the zone without being too loud. With the Competition, I don't think I will have that problem. Also, the Competition doesn't have the gobs of low end that the QR has. I can actually turn the bass up a little more without stepping on the bassist and drummers domain... I'm really happy with the amp. I look forward to gigging with it this coming year.
Thanks, @Fusionbear

I never was able to open up my 100w Pro Stock on stage anywhere, and mine also have massive punch and bass. I was always running my bass at 10:00 on Gear 2 and 3, and maybe 1:00 on Gear 1.

But would you say the Comp could get to 90% of the punch and bass of the 100w?

Back