Help deciding Jackson Kelly Brandon Ellis sig or Solar V slime green?

Good to know. Man I really want a good quality pointy guitar thats green. I also am looking at the LTD Arrow, but a red one. Still sick. Red wohld be my second color choice.

The more I contemplate the V's, both Solar and ESP, it's looking a little cumbersome in the upper fret area access. Sure, they have the slight cutaways on the treble side, but the bass side still looks a little bulky to be comfortable. The Kelly's are looking more desireable. Except the finish options arent that great. I like the green on the X models than the green crackel thats on thr Brandon Ellis Pro sig, but I don't want the cheaper floyd rose on the X model.

Buddy of mine said the Ellis sig was made in China, some folks on the sevenstring.org board said that as well and that the factory that does their crackle finishes is located in China. GC also says "Country of Origin: China" on their listing. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackso...on-Ellis-Kelly-Green-Crackle-1500000340342.gc

I would not drop $1,200 on a mass market guitar from China.
Just because it's Chinese doesn't mean it's not good or trustworthy. It's the level of QC that matters. If the more expensive guitars are held to a higher standard appropriate to the price, then why wouldn't you get a guitar appropriate for the price? Look at all the quality cell phones made in China. Now I now certainly would trust a $300 guitar made in China...but I am sure that the higher quality models are held to higher quality standards.

Just because it's Chinese doesn't mean it's not good or trustworthy. It's the level of QC that matters. If the more expensive guitars are held to a higher standard appropriate to the price, then why wouldn't you get a guitar appropriate for the price? Look at all the quality cell phones made in China. Now I now certainly would trust a $300 guitar made in China...but I am sure that the higher quality models are held to higher quality standards.
I think you're misunderstanding my comment as being based in some hate or whatever of China. I'm making my comment from the position of someone that has played a lot of Jackson guitars over the years sourced from China, Indonesia, Korea, Japan, and the USA. From my personal experience, the Chinese made Jackson guitars I've played have been very underwhelming and in my opinion not worth the money, this includes ones that are priced somewhat similarly to the guitar you're looking at that have been released in the last year or two.

If you pull the trigger on the Ellis, I would highly recommend going through a shop / store that has a good return policy in case it doesn't live up to your expectations. Good luck with your search & have a nice weekend.

I think you're misunderstanding my comment as being based in some hate or whatever of China. I'm making my comment from the position of someone that has played a lot of Jackson guitars over the years sourced from China, Indonesia, Korea, Japan, and the USA. From my personal experience, the Chinese made Jackson guitars I've played have been very underwhelming and in my opinion not worth the money, this includes ones that are priced somewhat similarly to the guitar you're looking at that have been released in the last year or two.

If you pull the trigger on the Ellis, I would highly recommend going through a shop / store that has a good return policy in case it doesn't live up to your expectations. Good luck with your search & have a nice weekend.
I see. Thanks for your advice. Yeah I would go either Sweetwater or Proaudiostar.

Have you looked at Ormsby guitars?

67100866-354074638554797-44620990763761664-n_2.jpg

img}

Have you looked at Ormsby guitars?

67100866-354074638554797-44620990763761664-n_2.jpg

img}
No but i will right now and report back

OMG that Grold X 6 string is gorgeous! The problem us is with shipping to US it's going to be like $1900 which is slightly out if my comfort zone...plus it's in Aus....also not sure about they're own pickups...and looks like they dont ship with a case included....but I'm still licking my chops at it and will do more research. So thanks!

Last edited:
The more I contemplate the V's, both Solar and ESP, it's looking a little cumbersome in the upper fret area access. Sure, they have the slight cutaways on the treble side, but the bass side still looks a little bulky to be comfortable. The Kelly's are looking more desireable. Except the finish options arent that great. I like the green on the X models than the green crackel thats on thr Brandon Ellis Pro sig, but I don't want the cheaper floyd rose on the X model.
Trust me when I say there is no upper fret access issues with that carve on any V solar guitar. Between the most comfortable heel in the world, and no horns, you are golden.

Trust me when I say there is no upper fret access issues with that carve on any V solar guitar. Between the most comfortable heel in the world, and no horns, you are golden.
Hmm. It looks like their would be an issue for me...but I will consider your word and think some more. I dont mean access as far as the high e and b strings only...i mean access as far as doing 5 string arpeggio sweeps. Can you clarify if that is more difficult when you consider that?

Last edited:
Also, just read the full description on Reverb for the Ormsby X shape guitars...they do come with a hardcase!

Hmm. It looks like their would be an issue for me...but I will consider your word and think some more. I dont mean access as far as the high e and b strings only...i mean access as far as doing 5 string arpeggio sweeps. Can you clarify if that is more difficult when you consider that?
I am just curious about what guitar you consider to have full access. I have had lots of guitars with good and bad heels. I can play anything on the 17th through 24th fret on my jackson V that I could play on the 5th through 12th. It is kind of the point of a V, no pun intended. But then again, I never have had problems playing on a superstrat either. My Les Paul or acoustic are the only things that have ever been restrictive. I think it is pretty well known that neck throughs have the best heel. Solar has a neck through type of heel on every guitar they make.

I am just curious about what guitar you consider to have full access. I have had lots of guitars with good and bad heels. I can play anything on the 17th through 24th fret on my jackson V that I could play on the 5th through 12th. It is kind of the point of a V, no pun intended. But then again, I never have had problems playing on a superstrat either. My Les Paul or acoustic are the only things that have ever been restrictive. I think it is pretty well known that neck throughs have the best heel. Solar has a neck through type of heel on every guitar they make.
I should have been more specific. I guess I am thinking about how comfortable my thumb would be on the back of that heel joint because from my (limited) experience playing V's, it seems there is more meat on that joint making it feel too cumbersome. I have a few neck thrus super strats myself and I love them. It just looks like there would be more bulk around that joint on a V.

I should have been more specific. I guess I am thinking about how comfortable my thumb would be on the back of that heel joint because from my (limited) experience playing V's, it seems there is more meat on that joint making it feel too cumbersome. I have a few neck thrus super strats myself and I love them. It just looks like there would be more bulk around that joint on a V.
I see. Yeah. A V may not be for you. You got to be pretty metal to pull off a V. J/k. But you should definitely try one. If you buy to try, try to get a good deal to flip if you don't like. Or buy new and take a hit. It isn't easy to find used Solars. They are great mid tier guitars. On the other hand, I have 3 jackson right now. One is a 140$ minion I bought for my kids. It is a damned good guitar for the price and the stock pups are pretty nasty in a good way. Couldn't play super tight with them, but anything less than death metal, can probably handle. And it is fun to play. Made in China. I have a Jackson Pro Series that was made in indonesia. The gutiar is nice and playability is perfect. I had an X series Jackson that was one of my favorite guitars i ever had. It was made in indonesia. I also have a Custom Jackson V that is my main guitar. Obviously it is made in the USA. My point is, I have never played a bad Jackson.

i have just pulled the trigger on an Ormsby gtr X 6 string in Grold color!!

I hate the State I live in and it's fucking sky high taxes! I fucking hate this state.

I also have a Custom Jackson V that is my main guitar. Obviously it is made in the USA. My point is, I have never played a bad Jackson.
To think you almost abandoned it at Axe Palace eh? Lucky you've got a sensible friend to steer you in the right direction.

I hate the State I live in and it's fucking sky high taxes! I fucking hate this state.
I've only heard good things about Ormsby, enjoy.

Just to anyone else looking at Solar. I've never played one but I was going to ask how much cheaper was it?

Saw a post where a US buyer got surprised with a $300 bill for import duties.

Just to anyone else looking at Solar. I've never played one but I was going to ask how much cheaper was it?

Saw a post where a US buyer got surprised with a $300 bill for import duties.
I think it depends on your state. Mine was a bit over a hundred...and thats just initially....maybe it'll be more when it actually gets here. I dont know

Congrats. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

The "grold" finish is awesome. Of course the Aussies have to be different, because everyone else calls that finish "dragon burst" or "lizard burst". What they call "dragon burst" is pink and purple. Silly Aussies.

Back