Splawn Cab Makeover

M@tt C

Hey all,

I picked up a scruffy Splawn straight 4x12 right after Christmas for a really good price, and spent the last several weeks messing around with it to get it back into shape. it had some scuff, nicks, and was on the grungy side but it was structurally sound and had a mix of G12K-100s and V30s. A good starting point.

I gave it a good cleaning to start, and most of the scuffs were gone- sweet! But, someone had splashed bleach on the cane grill cloth, and my efforts to clean that off resulted in a partially bleached grill. Oops.

Getting the speaker combo dialed in was the next order of business. Started with it as is- cool, but very tight. Not my thing, so I moved the V30 pair to the bottom and swapped in a pair of G12M greenbacks on top- much better!! But still off......

I discovered the wiring was wrong, and spent some time rewiring it to series/ parallel following the diagram on the Scumback site. Better- but not quite there. The speaker mix was just not cohesive to my ear.

So, I found a pair of Scumback M75-PVC's on The Gear Page for a solid price, so I pulled the trigger and swapped them into the top slots with the G12M's on the bottom.....YES!!!!!!!!! Juicy, warm, crunchy goodness!!!!!

Now to take on the grill cloth......

Let me start by saying Scott's cabs are built like tanks! With some carefull effort I was able to get the baffle out and swapped out the grill cloth with some black/ silver that I ordered from Mojo Tone. Considering I had never done that before I was pretty pleased with the result.

Final steps were to replace the trashed pop in casters with some good old locking casters from Lowe's, and then adding the Amazon $12 racing stripe just because.

Now the cab looks pretty good, and sounds AMAZING!

tempImageaxmtWQ.jpg
tempImagePWdAZk.jpg
tempImagecLmBD2.jpg
tempImageS54aAk.jpg
tempImageHEXfWL.jpg
tempImagec1u6eO.jpg
tempImage64RPAO.jpg

Last edited:
That's sweet. I love my Splawn cab. Those Small Blocks are the only speaker I haven't replaced with V30s to date. Great Job!

I also just redid a grille cloth on a cab. Mine was a piece of shit handmade cab I got for free when I bought some speakers. I found some cheap mesh in the discount bin in my local fabric store and stapled it up. That cab wasn't worth the price I paid for the grille, as the handles were uneven, with one being almost an inch higher than the other. I grabbed one side to "help the guy out" when I sold it. If the ugly grey 80s style carpeting wasn't bad enough...

Nice work man. Yep those Scumback M75-PVC's are great, the regular M75 is dark and flat sounding.

Back