Anyone own a Les Paul Replica?

I own three Yaron 59 replicas. Incredible instruments.
I’ve never had a chance to play one but everything I’ve read has made me believe they are stellar! I hope mine will be on par. Post some pics if you can! Mine is a long way off still

Attachments

• 7A2684E2-BD34-40AD-ABC4-0BB616C1A90C.jpeg
    7A2684E2-BD34-40AD-ABC4-0BB616C1A90C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 39
I have two LP replicas. The top one has an early Patent # neck pickup (same as a PAF in my case), while the bridge is a real PAF from a 61 SG. Old Black Beauty Sprague caps/pots/etc with Historic plastic, no wire ABR-1, lightweight tailpiece.
Replicatop-1.jpg

The bottom one has Jim Wagner Darkburst neck pickup, JW Godwood bridge pickup, and a wiring harness with Centralab pots/Bumble Bee caps from a 1960 Gibson, lightweight tailpiece, wired ABR-1, and some exotic plastic (can't remember the repro maker's name right now).
keebler1.jpg

At least I have my pinstripe and wide flame top fetishes handled. LOL

For those undecided on pickups, I can tell you that everyone who brought their Les Paul over to the demo room left here wanting to replace whatever they had (fill in the blank, Wizz, Throbak, whatever) with the Darkburst/Godwood mix from Jim Wagner Pickups. Of course, everyone lusted after the real PAF's, but a pair of those costs as much as your replica now. Most players want a potted pickup, PAF's are not, so you have to know how to control your volume/hands better with those. The JW set has his own potting "sauce" (not wax) which works really well, but doesn't make the pickup sound dead like most wax pickups sound. And at around $400 for a set with nickel covers, hard to go wrong over a PAF set priced from $4-10K.

Ok, busy as hell here, back to work since 7 orders came in this morning.

Last edited:
I have two LP replicas. The top one has an early Patent # neck pickup, while the bridge is a PAF from a 61 SG. Old Black Beauty Sprague caps/pots/etc with Historic plastic, no wire ABR-1, lightweight tailpiece.
Replicatop-1.jpg

The bottom one has Jim Wagner Darkburst neck pickup, JW Godwood bridge pickup, and a wiring harness with Centralab pots/Bumble Bee caps from a 1960 Gibson, lightweight tailpiece, wired ABR-1, and some exotic plastic (can't remember the repro maker's name right now).
keebler1.jpg
Which pick up combo do you prefer?

Not an LP but I do have a Burny RSA65, which is for all intents and purposes an ES335 replica. It's a great guitar

A friend of mine recently built a quilt top Les Paul replica and it's pretty fucking amazing

Depends what music I'm playing that day. I've got three PAF loaded Gibsons, 6 Jim Wagner loaded guitars (5 Gibsons, 1 Strat). It's hard to choose between them all when they all sound superb, you know? I can tell you that the pots/caps upgrades make a big difference, so don't cheap out on those.
Yeah I’m trying to buy the best stuff I can get. I went with audio 500 pots to not lose the treble when you back off the volume, and vintage spec caps. Also went with the brass inserts and thumbwheels, rather than the newer Steel which I think robs string/body vibration.

So many good pickup options, it's almost hard to go wrong. I'm not sure I can hear a difference between good basic pickups like Wolfetones and Brandon Wounds and the detail obsessed ones like Throbak. Report back when she's finished :rock:

Any pics? Any chance it was done by a builder in AZ?

Nah, buddy of mine named Daniel Short in Canada. Built off of Tom Bartlett’s ‘59 template. Currently sporting a set of 90s PRS McCarty pickups

2E3D7305-677B-4CFB-A795-B7F842BA24AA.jpeg

Good luck on yours man, getting exactly what you want instead of buying something existing and then having to spend more to change it is awesome.

Last edited:
So many good pickup options, it's almost hard to go wrong. I'm not sure I can hear a difference between good basic pickups like Wolfetones and Brandon Wounds and the detail obsessed ones like Throbak. Report back when she's finished :rock:
A client came over with his LP replica on Friday with his BrandonWound pickups. He played my Keebler darkburst replica with the JWP pickups...he's ditching his BW set for the Darkburst/Godwood combo now.

Back