Ever been ripped off selling/buying gear online ?

Ever been ripped off selling/buying gear online ?

• Total voters
I've been lucky but I've seen some good people get royally shafted.

Do you guys remember that old school HCAF dude xixixiwiwi, something like that? I know his name was Roland and he bought a recto and got a box of floor tiles...

xiwiwix; I remember that well lol

On the flipside, i remember when sixtonoize found an ebay ad for a Bogner Uberschall headshell (for the price you'd expect to pay for a headshell) but the pics in the ad showed a complete amp.

He tempted fate and pulled the trigger.....and got a complete Uberschall head in perfect working order for like $250 or something like that :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've been super lucky to have never been burned myself.....yet! lol

Anyone remember the dude who told everyone how he would buy USA strats, take the pickups out and replace them with cheap ones and return the guitar? He thought it was a great idea lol

Batotman

I think it was Epiphone Elitists he was doing that with.....maybe strats too

Just wondering how widespread this problem is.
I have been ripped off before but not by online sales but people have tried.

No, but I've been accosted online by military posers utilizing stolen valor.

xiwiwix; I remember that well lol

On the flipside, i remember when sixtonoize found an ebay ad for a Bogner Uberschall headshell (for the price you'd expect to pay for a headshell) but the pics in the ad showed a complete amp.

He tempted fate and pulled the trigger.....and got a complete Uberschall head in perfect working order for like $250 or something like that :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've been super lucky to have never been burned myself.....yet! lol
Bro thats insane, I dont remember that. Talk about a score..

I was gonna say, the inspector first and also the title company, as they have to abide by the inspection. But ultimately the seller is the real A-hole. Wow.
I've had 2 occurrences, one on eBay-sold a Marshall VM and the guy said it 'had a problem' and 'if I refunded him 200 his tech could take care of it'.....then later the same day I noticed he had THE SAME AMP up for sale, using MY PICS for 500 more than what I sold it for. Lol. Won that dispute fairly fast. Next was on Reverb a few yrs back...guy got my amp and tried to return A DIFFERENT ONE of the same model. I had pics to prove it but Reverb sided with the buyer. I shut everything down on Reverb and told them to stuff it. Fuck them.

I would have been enraged if someone pulled the switcheroo!! Sorry that happened man!!

I bought a bogner xtc on harmony central. Paid the guy PayPal gift. The xtc arrived and it was broken. Took to a tech and he said it was broken before it was shipped to me and seller would have known. It was a LOT of cash to get it working again!

I sent message after message to the seller and he never responded. Because it was PayPal gift, there was nothing I could do. PayPal told me tough luck. I wanted nothing to do with the xtc at this point so I gave it to a friend to try and get it working as he was ampless at the time. So, in the end it was a total loss for me. I think my friend ended up sending it to bogner and it was costly to get it going again.

One other time I met a guy in person and he paid PayPal. The next day the money was sucked out of my PayPal account!! The buyer said he didn’t meet anyone or buy anything, so PayPal refunded him. PayPal told me it’s not for in person payments and it’s against the rules so I was out $850. He scammed me.

nothing worse than dishonest thieves and shysters!!!

Last edited:
Be careful on reverb…
The Most recent couple items I sold on there were absolutely mint pristine condition, but some how, miraculously, when the buyer got them, something didn’t work right on each item, they asked for some money back for repairs… (BS)
It’s a very corrupt the world we live in😑

Watch out!! That’s the new partial refund scam!! Scum bags!!!

I've been lucky so far, but I'm starting to feel like it's going to be inevitable that I get shafted some time. I've been sitting on things, because I've become paranoid I'm going to sell something of value and the buyer is going to do something stupid.

I bought a mini Crate stack off ebay. Think 2006? Sent the guy PayPal thru ebay. Nothing. No reply. Etc. got my money refunded.
think it was $300
Not big bucks. But I really wanted the amp set. 🤣

I haven't been outright scammed on an online deal, but had a few that weren't great transactions.

I was ripped off on a local deal though with a guy that was supposed to build me a hollowbody. He was just starting off, but after months of very slow progress for no real apparent reason and some shady stuff he was doing and saying I requested a refund. It got ugly and I took him to small claims court. I won, he went bankrupt, I never saw a penny of the money I fronted for the project. Was supposed to be my wedding present too.

Last edited:
I haven't been outright scammed on an online deal, but had a few that weren't great transactions.

I was ripped off on a local deal though with a guy that was supposed to build me a hollowbody. He was just starting off, but after months of very slow progress for no real apparent reason and some shady stuff he was doing and saying I requested a refund. It got ugly and I took him to small claims court. I won, he went bankrup, I never saw a penny of the money I fronted for the project. Was supposed to be my wedding present too.
That’s a bummer Man. Sorry to hear that.

one of my first major ebay purchases, back in 2002. i saved like 700 bucks working, and decided to buy a used esp eclipse (90's series mij with the bolt on neck). The guy was selling it on ebay under the pretense that his brother was a fire fighter who died in 9/11, and that he wanted to sell the guitar for money to get a tattoo to memorialize his brother. Ok, i win the auction, i send the guy a postal money order (Back in those days before paypal), and i didn't get the guitar for almost 4 months. That was four months of me doing everything except driving to NY to find the guy. He eventually shipped it, in a square box, with the neck unbolted. not totally ripped off, but 4 months of dealing with that uncertainty when you're like 18 years old sucked pretty bad.

Omg... Vince sansevere... xiwiwix and his box of NOT a recto... classic stories. I’m glad 15 years later Vince sansevere is still a thing. I remember one time he tried to play me over the phone a “cover” by his band doing low by testament... it was the fucking record... that guy... wow... memory lane.

Back