Engl powerball 2

Rbrad4

I kinda screwed up....I live in US and bought the Engl from UK....I did not even think about the 220/110 power difference. So my question is....what can I do now?? I really do not want to carry an external transformer to convert....Any help appreciated.....

My powerball 1 doesnt have a PT with both a 220 and 110V tap, so likely the PB2 doesnt either meaning you'd have to swap the amp, switch the transformer or run a step down transformer.

However you can get a new PT from Engl, the service guys are surprisingly helpful.

Probably a bit late getting in on this party, but I thought I would add a few comments and also a question or request as well.

First thing is that the European version of the Powerball2 does not have alternative voltage taps on the primary side of the power transformer. In other words there is no way to change the mains voltage from 220v 50Hz.

Secondly, there is indeed an export 120V 60Hz primary transformer available for the North American market.
The correct part number is
TR645NE-120V
The price is approx $260.00 USD

Perhaps this info might be helpful to others...

Ok, now maybe there is someone else who may wish to comment, or have further information?
I believe that they have had two different versions of the transformer.
The first original transformer likely has all the taps on primary inputs and secondary outputs with color coded leads.
They currently ship a second version that does not have wire leads but instead it has spade terminals instead.
The primary has four taps and the secondary has nine spade connector taps.
Shipped with the transformer is a separate parts set # KA645-TR
This is a set of colored wire leads that are terminated with the proper spade push on connectors to mate with the spade terminals of the transformer taps. Only two of the colors match the existing wiring color code of the amp. These, I assume are the primary side connection to the switch.
Regardless, of the wire color code matching or not, I still have no idea which tap terminal is or goes where?
The primary side of this tranny has four taps instead of two. Perhaps it can be wired for different main voltages?
Which taps do I wire for 120v does the inner two taps require that they be tied together for 120V or just how does the primary of this transformer get wired ? It has four taps instead of the two taps of the original transformer.
Maybe if I had the primary side wired correctly I could thru process of elimination figure out which secondary taps carry which voltages . As it is now I have no clue what tap is used for which voltage. No diagram is included and the Engl schematic is a bit vague and does not include any taps numbering or even color code to identify the actual tap positions. The transformer had no wiring diagram for its numbered taps either....
This thread was old and rather a dead end. Perhaps my input might help others with the proper part numbers. I have the new transformer but will have to get back with my Engl parts connection for more elaborate instruction, unless someone here can chime in sooner?
But yes you can obtain a North American power transformer for 120v

I have looked into this and been told they are available. I suspect the other primaries are for 100v and 110v. If that is the case then Japan market ones may work here as well with just switching some wires.

Finding any information on the web is tough. If Engl won’t give you a diagram there are some Engl repair shops like: https://desertamplifierrepair.com/warranty-repair-engl/
They are a certified Engl repair shop but I suspect Engl may tell you what to hook up, their service and support have been helpful.

I do know from looking into it that the Engl e570 preamp and e670 SE head have a multi tap transformer that can be run on any voltage by moving 3 jumpers inside. Anyone know where Germans or Brits post used gear?

If you find the diagram for this post it up, the more we know the better. Most of the info is super old and not helpful.

Man I've been looking for an ENGL ampl and haven't thought about this at all. Thank you for sharing. I hope you figure out a way around it other than reselling / rebuying

Hey man, so sorry I never reported back in the PT transplant.
It all worked out good! I was able to get support and was given info on the proper wiring. I will have to look up my past email and see if I can find it and post it up.
Yes they have several PT 's all with different wiring.
Mark at Desert Amplification Repair is always a great and cooperative resource, very helpful! Unfortunately this PT was a tad different than the ones he had documentation.
I can be reached at southboundsuarez@hotmail.com if I can be of any assistance.
I must say that the Powerball 2 is quite an amplifier. Not my own personal style of amp, but I certainly can appreciate it for its sophistication and more importantly for the tone it is capable. I can see why those that are into heavy music would enjoy the chug and gain this amp has on tap!

Hey man, so sorry I never reported back in the PT transplant.
It all worked out good! I was able to get support and was given info on the proper wiring. I will have to look up my past email and see if I can find it and post it up.
Yes they have several PT 's all with different wiring.
Mark at Desert Amplification Repair is always a great and cooperative resource, very helpful! Unfortunately this PT was a tad different than the ones he had documentation.
I can be reached at southboundsuarez@hotmail.com if I can be of any assistance.
I must say that the Powerball 2 is quite an amplifier. Not my own personal style of amp, but I certainly can appreciate it for its sophistication and more importantly for the tone it is capable. I can see why those that are into heavy music would enjoy the chug and gain this amp has on tap!
Hi I have an engl midi board that needs a lil work. What was the link to their support that u used? I can’t find one. Thanks

Back