Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Rev #006

I have my pre-500 and my Rev. G, both Blackfaces, and to my ears, they sound different enough to be used in different scenarios. My Pre-500 definitely sounds tighter, and more aggressive, while my Rev. G sounds thick and multi-dimensional.

I usually combine one of my Coliseums with one of my Rectos, to get a massive tonal footprint, but I’ll reach for my early Rectos if my Rev. G doesn’t seem to track fast enough.

But, I’ll agree with Dave. All the Revisions are great and have their own strengths, but shouldn’t be discounted compared to any other Revisions.

I did quite a bit of research on the Mesas back in the day, and as I recall, Mesa started development of the Rectos during the same timeframe the Mark III Blue Stripe was in production. Many of the early Rectos shared the same components as the Mark IIIs (I specifically remember the Trannys were the same), but I could easily see the early Rectos coming stock with the only Blue-screened Sylvania. I actually have a set of the old Sylvania around that still sound amazing!

I find Rectos typically need the low-pass an overdrive provides more than an actual level boost. I can’t speak for early Revs though.

Yeah I mean boosting a recto is awesome don’t get me wrong, but the tone with no boost is also sweet, yeah it’s a little thick and spongy but it’s a really cool tone. I have also found it to be quite a bit more unforgiving and pickup/guitar selective with no boost.

same with my triple G, way tighter than i was expecting.
I have a rev g triple and it is definitely tight enough for anything ime, the only rectos I find a little too mushy are the regular 3 channel solo heads but supposedly it’s the same as the rev g... I don’t agree

same with my triple G, way tighter than i was expecting.
This is why I can’t deal with dual Gs, way too tubby sounding, even with a boost. But Triple Gs are perfect with a boost. F is even better.

Weird I never found most rectos to NEED a boost but then I’m in the minority on that one lol
For my taste it needs a boost. Great amp but not by itself for my ear/feel. I've only owned a few but quickly sold them bc I #1 didn't know about boosting at the time and already moved on to amps that didn't need it by the time I did. Since I have now I don't need amps like that since owning a C+ Coliseum that easy can do anything a boosted rectifier can. Writing this post makes me want to try boosting the Coliseum tho but it's in the shop right now.

For my taste it needs a boost. Great amp but not by itself for my ear/feel. I've only owned a few but quickly sold them bc I #1 didn't know about boosting at the time and already moved on to amps that didn't need it by the time I did. Since I have now I don't need amps like that since owning a C+ Coliseum that easy can do anything a boosted rectifier can. Writing this post makes me want to try boosting the Coliseum tho but it's in the shop right now.
I boost mine; but only to add in the upper mid ‘flavor’ the pedal adds. I drop the gain to 3 or so. Love it.

Yeah I mean boosting a recto is awesome don’t get me wrong, but the tone with no boost is also sweet, yeah it’s a little thick and spongy but it’s a really cool tone. I have also found it to be quite a bit more unforgiving and pickup/guitar selective with no boost.
“He likes the stock”

A really good friend of mine here in Phoenix. He owns a recording studio here. Has a ton of amps! Half of them have come from me and my GAS! Lol!

I'm sure it could use a tune up as it has sat for quite some time!
Hhmmm I'm pretty sure I know who that is. The wall paper is a dead give away. Dual Rect serial 510 at another Phoenix recording studio (mine) :) Phoenix is flexing with gear!

Last edited:
Hhmmm I'm pretty sure I know who that is. The wall paper is a dead give away. Dual Rect serial 510 at another Phoenix recording studio (mine) :) Phoenix is flexing with gear!

Haha! Yeah, the wall paper!

Sweet on #510! I've noticed you have some killers amps as well!

This is such an incest fest HAHAHA We should just timeshare our amps!

I have Racer's Triple F (and it kills!) RaceU has my old Triple G (which killed!!)

So here's a question for you guys. It's Friday night & I'm drinking tequila so I'm gonna ask. I just picked up a VERY early Dual G small logo which has tons of clarity, and the G tubbiness. I was going to send it in to Mike B. to mod it to C but he's not doing mods now. So, I'm thinking about sending it in to JT for his mod (which Reza pimped) which sounds very tight, my only concern is I don't want to lose "that Recto growl". What would YOU do?

I have Racer's Triple F (and it kills!) RaceU has my old Triple G (which killed!!)

So here's a question for you guys. It's Friday night & I'm drinking tequila so I'm gonna ask. I just picked up a VERY early Dual G small logo which has tons of clarity, and the G tubbiness. I was going to send it in to Mike B. to mod it to C but he's not doing mods now. So, I'm thinking about sending it in to JT for his mod (which Reza pimped) which sounds very tight, my only concern is I don't want to lose "that Recto growl". What would YOU do?

Which was previously my Triple F I sold to RacerX... LOL. :yes:

It is a particularly mean sounding example of the species. I have 2 others and love them. Special amps.

Based on his clip of it, it seems like the growl is still there to my ears. How much are JT's mods? If they're reasonable and you don't have too much into your Rev G I say get it and make a clip AB'ing with the Badlander and maybe rev F or earlier Rectos. Would be very interesting to hear

Based on his clip of it, it seems like the growl is still there to my ears. How much are JT's mods? If they're reasonable and you don't have too much into your Rev G I say get it and make a clip AB'ing with the Badlander and maybe rev F or earlier Rectos. Would be very interesting to hear
He wants $400 for the mod. Call it $500 with shipping. I'm in the G maybe a little on the high side but it is a leather small logo #33XX. I'm on the fence.

Back