Mesa mark 3 no stripe?

I used to have a blue stripe for 5 years and it's one of the best amps I've ever had. When I tried the mark iv tho I was floored because it has tons of tones and it's super versatile. I sold the mark iii and now that I have the 2c+ srgx I can safely say that people who want the raw mark tone should definitely grab a mark iii for less money. The 2c+ is not as harsh sounding as my blue stripe and it does have something special but then again I wouldn't pay a small fortune for one. I got mine 2800 in mint condition, combo exotic wood plus the road case and shipping.

Years back I was in a cover band with a guy who played a strat thru a cranked twin
that he had up on a chair. Icepick tones were his thing and every time I'd walk by
the front of his amp my teeth would start hurting.
I can visualize exactly the sort of scenario you are explaining. I had a buddy that was a great lead player, but had the worst, overly-trebly tone I ever heard. For months, I just wanted to hide a Wah in his FX loop, and lock it in the heel-down position without him knowing.

Eventually, the desire to help him turned into rage. I went and bought a Whammy pedal, and cranked the channel volume (I was playing a Triple Rec at the time). When he walked in front of my rig, I hit the most glorious pinch harmonic ever, engaged channel 3, and then slammed the Whammy to the floor. The high pitched squeal at full volume made it feel like an ice pick was chipping away at our ear drums. I told him this is what it sounds like when he played lead.

From there on out, he always made sure to EQ some bass/mids into his rig...lol.

To piggyback on this story, this all happened in his garage at his parents house. His sister lived there too and had a pet ferret. When I hit the Whammy/harmonic, the ferret (who happened to be sleeping in his hammock at the top of his 4ft cage) was startled so bad, that he fell out of his hammock and crashed down to the bottom of the cage. Poor ferret.

Maybe this is why I always opt for 150w-180w amps...

When he walked in front of my rig, I hit the most glorious pinch harmonic ever, engaged channel 3, and then slammed the Whammy to the floor. The high pitched squeal at full volume made it feel like an ice pick was chipping away at our ear drums.
Jeez, thnk about any dogs in the vicinity!
When I hit the Whammy/harmonic, the ferret (who happened to be sleeping in his hammock at the top of his 4ft cage) was startled so bad, that he fell out of his hammock and crashed down to the bottom of the cage.
I'm calling the SPCA.
Maybe this is why I always opt for 150w-180w amps...
Where's your Herbert? :D

Can someone help me distinguish if this is the “mark IIC+” transformer from a NO STRIPE Mark III I found for sale? Couldn’t get numbers off of the PT without removing from shell and store won’t allow that…

Attachments

• EA644043-9258-429E-8BD7-E63165DE410F.jpeg
    EA644043-9258-429E-8BD7-E63165DE410F.jpeg
    723.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 25D40A5E-1EC0-49AC-BF5B-D3C8492E77FC.jpeg
    25D40A5E-1EC0-49AC-BF5B-D3C8492E77FC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • 58ED8B69-072D-4C35-A3C3-DD2D15066AE0.jpeg
    58ED8B69-072D-4C35-A3C3-DD2D15066AE0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • AB1FDF82-0369-4E92-8CC5-9E556CCC1A70.jpeg
    AB1FDF82-0369-4E92-8CC5-9E556CCC1A70.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
They're closer to their value. Prices of older Mesas will go up after the sale of the company. Plus, those of us who grew up when the MkIII's were at their prime are now at the age to afford to such toys and enjoy them......and are at the earnings level to afford to pay silly prices for them - maybe not everyone but enough of us.
Definately NOT a 105 PT. They nearly touch the bottom of the headshell (reverb tank, if so equipped).

Attachments

• DSC00025.JPG
    DSC00025.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 36
Back