I need a Bogner Helios

If you already have a flavor of Bogner and you like that low mid thing that Bogner imparts but still want a little Marshall then the Helios seems to be a solid pick. If you a looking for a more open less compressed high gain Marshall two channel amp with one of the best clean channels then I would look into a Landry G3, it can do traditional Marshall plexi modded plexi 800 and modded 800 and has a great loop according to owners. I'm not sure if Landry is still building his amp with NOS Mustard caps but he was for awhile I guess as long as his supply was there.

Either way the G3 Landry catches my ear more than most amps out there and they are priced pretty decent for what they offer.
The Helios didn’t have the Bogner low mid thing to my ears. Really didn’t sound or feel like any Bogner, which was for the better imo. I’d have guessed it was a modded Marshall if I was blind folded. I owned a Helios and Gower modded ‘79 JMP at the same time and they were surprisingly similar sounding. The Gower actually was the darker, more low middy amp

The Landry’s do have one of the better cleans I’ve heard in a high gain amp, but wasn’t that impressed with its gain channel when I tried it. Very solid amp for the price, but I’d easily take an old JCM800 or JMP2203 or Naylor with a boost. They’d smoke that amp imo. Of course a Wizard would too, but a lot more expensive. The Helios I think has a more organic, rich tone than a Landry, but the Landry could get tighter and more in the modern direction I’d dialed in to be. Helios will be more vintage and warm

If you’re looking for a really chewy, throaty, growly, somewhat dark Marshall flavor and it doesn’t need to be tight or metal, then the Savage Blitz is another really great option and very affordable if found used, but they are pretty loose and spongy sounding, but very organic, raw tone, especially for a non-vintage amp. Most other recent made amps will sound polished and somewhat sterile in comparison

The Homestead’s are also very good, but pricy and I’d personally much rather have a Naylor or stock JMP2203, which are also a lot cheaper

Helios 50 is Reinhold’s masterpiece.
A library of M-mods with extreme low end control and a true variac.
From Angus to Slash it delivers.
For more 80s saturation ala Lynch/DeMartini the Eclipse takes over where the 50 leaves off.

Helios 50 is Reinhold’s masterpiece.
A library of M-mods with extreme low end control and a true variac.
From Angus to Slash it delivers.
For more 80s saturation ala Lynch/DeMartini the Eclipse takes over where the 50 leaves off.
Spot on. Truly one of the greatest amp if You looking for plexi/JCM800 tones with excelent master volume and modern features.
I have Eclipse now and had 100 before and I have to say I like 100 little bit more. Slightly difference in voicing of modes. Eclipse modes are gain-insane and for me boosted '80s mode is enough. Both Helioses have great not-so-tight not-so spongy powersection.
I had '79 JMP 2204 with tube loop beside Helios 100 and pure sound of JMP is bit more raw/classic but boost them and Helios works better for any heavy style with its tighter pushing low-end. I have 4x12 Bogner with Scumbacks (J75/H75) which is perfect hit for Bogners (especially J75), I didn't like original GB/V30 combo.

I think the Atma, and the Duende for that matter are two of the best amps Bogner ever built. My Helios 50 was awesome until I got the Wizard MC25. Helios was sold immediately. My Atma and the MC25 got along just fine for a couple years.... then last September I took a leap of longtime Bogner owner faith and sold the Atma to buy a Bogner 3534. I couldn't be happier, I love that 3534. Not sure what the answer for you is. The Helios was a badass one trick pony (well it has a couple tricks but they're not easily accessible) but overall I like the 3534 much better. Another option would be a Bogner Blue or LaGrange pedal into any stock Marshall head......
Agreed. 3534 is my fav Bogner, having had a bunch of em. Lil beast kix.

Out of all of the Helios amps, the one I kept was the Eclipse. It was by far my favorite of the Helios models and the most user friendly to me.

Back