Svetlana Reissue

I have owned them the original Svetlana 6l6 winged C tubes in the past. No current production tubes compare to them. The Svetlana reissue is a different tube altogether. Not bad, just different

Svetlana winged C are more open in the mids. A little more upper mids and wider mids across the spectrum than a traditional 6l6 tube. They also have a slightly rolled off top end. That said, you may or may not like them. How they sound also depends on how they blend with the amp they are in. I like them more in scopped amps like mesa rectifiers to fill out the sound

Last edited:
Going to hijack this thread, what about the Telefunken Black Diamond reissues?

They’re just relabeled JJ tubes. Maybe they have been tested more thoroughly?
I asked about the black diamonds on another forum and was blasted for even considering them as they were said to be snake oil. Yet no one had tried one to know for sure.

Ok talked to Jeff Bakos, he says either chinese or russia all are from the same two plants just labeled different. So maybe it in our heads that different brands sounds better?

I asked about the black diamonds on another forum and was blasted for even considering them as they were said to be snake oil. Yet no one had tried one to know for sure.
It looks like they’re cryo treated JJs with some extra testing. Who knows if you would hear a difference or not?

I tried some of the Black Sable =C= EL34s from Tube Depot. I put them in a 101b. They sounded good, but I honestly couldn’t pick up on any extra mojo this added to the amp after installing and biasing them.

I would rather save some money and buy JJs from a dealer that tests them very well. On the other hand, some folks may hear something different or leave their minds open to the possibility of them being “different”.

Svetlana's are OK in my Marshall Super lead. Very good in My DSL40CR however.

I tried original Wing C's about 15 years ago in my Marshall Super lead & they were just OK as well; nothing spectacular like the all of the hype would suggest.

The JJ 6CA7s I replaced the Wing C's with blew them away. The JJ 6CA7s are by far the best sounding power tubes for my vintage Marshall. Next would be the Ruby EL34s.

Svetlana's are OK in my Marshall Super lead. Very good in My DSL40CR however.

I tried original Wing C's about 15 years ago in my Marshall Super lead & they were just OK as well; nothing spectacular like the all of the hype would suggest.

The JJ 6CA7s I replaced the Wing C's with blew them away. The JJ 6CA7s are by far the best sounding power tubes for my vintage Marshall. Next would be the Ruby EL34s.
I absolutely agree with you. I replaced Svetlana Winged C with JJ 6CA7 in a dual rectifier and the 6CA7s sounded far better. People often dismiss this tube due to disatisfaction with other JJs however the 6CA7s have their own sound. They are rich in low mids, upper mid crunch and have the tight punchy low end of a good 6l6. I've never heard that combination in the one tube type before.

Would you guys recommend the JJ 6ca7 for a silver jubilee or Vox ac50? Currently running eh el34s in each one and they sound great. Ran winged c’s before that.

It's impossible to guess how 6CA7 will sound in your Jubilee. They are cheap enough to try and decide for yourself though. In general I find the 6CA7s sound closer to winged C's in the midrage than eh el34s. They should also add more bass, a tighter punchy bass while retaining some el34 qualities. The eh tubes are typically brighter in top end and have less low mids. This is just my opinion. Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and try...that's what I did and loved them. I got them from eurotubes and they gave me a quad that was in my amps bias range and that saved me a bit of $$$.

Back