Captor X to Scarlett 4i4

Bloozestringer

When connecting my Captor X to my Scarlett 4i4 do I use XLR-XLR cables or XLR-TRS? Curious as the Scarlett manual say to only connect mic level to the XLR inputs and Line level by TRS. I’m getting all sorts of conflicting info on other groups.

When connecting my Captor X to my Scarlett 4i4 do I use XLR-XLR cables or XLR-TRS? Curious as the Scarlett manual say to only connect mic level to the XLR inputs and Line level by TRS. I’m getting all sorts of conflicting info on other groups.
[Balanced] XLR-XLR carries the same signal as [balanced] XLR-TRS; just depends how ya wanna plug it into the Scarlett

I've got a couple CaptorX units - and because I've got a lot of cables, I try to keep XLR-XLR so I can identify the ends better coming through my desk and into my 8Pre

If I see TRS ends dangling around - I'm not sure if they're for a footswitch, amp switching, headphones, etc - I like keeping XLR-XLR cuz it's easier on my eyes. Some peeps dig the fact XLR also prevents current-latching issues or the possibility thereof; I just like their solid feel of connectivity.

But technically speaking - there's no difference in their connectivity if the ends are the same or not - providing they're of good quality and well made.

Last edited:
Had this discussion elsewhere and a guy called Focusrite to get the scoop. If using XLR into the Scarlett it automatically gives you 5dB gain whether you want it or not. Can’t lower it. It assumes it is a mic. To bypass any gain (preamp) from the Scarlett you have to use a XLR out of the Captor X and use TRS into the Scarlett set on line input with the Scarlett gain knobs on zero.

My captor x is connected to my 4i4 via the trs inputs on the back and they are balanced but not mic level. Sounds and works great.

Back