Wizard Vintage Classic - your thoughts

stratjacket

Looking for thoughts on the Wizard Vintage Classic. Never owned a Wizard but read all about them here. But not much on the Vintage Classic (I searched). No good YouTube videos on them either. I’m sure build quality and those things are good, mainly how does it sound or what does it compare to?

For where I’m coming from, I like the high gain stuff, KSR, Diezel Herbert/Hagen, Bogner Uberschall/Eclipse, Marshall JVM/JCM800 kind of guy. Can the Vintage Classic reach that or am I better off sticking it out for a Wizard Metal/MC?

Those VC's caught my eye too for the price, but I think you'd be better off going MC, MCII, or MTL based on the amps you mentioned. MC/MCII if you like upper mid grind vs. MTL if you like more of a lower mid oriented voicing. Hybrid if you want something smack in the middle. MTL and the Hybrid will be much closer saturation wise to the amps you mentioned (less the 800). The MCII is not that saturated itself or even boosted. Still will do all kinds of metal, just not with much saturation.

Regardless of Wizard model, they will be worlds apart from every amp you mentioned (again except the 800). Opposite end of the gain structure spectrum IMO.

If you're actually looking for something different with an old school sound and vibe that can still bring some serious crunch, you should definitely consider one of the new (Fryette built) Sound City amps.

You'll need an attenuator for sure but goddamn they're glorious amps

I have not owned a VC, but I own a MC I and MTL Mk II and have played a VC. I am a Boosted JCM 800 guy, but own/owned a lot of high gain amps (Bogner Uber, KSR Artemis, IIC+, Mk IV, Cameron Marshall, Butterslax, VHT Ultlralead etc.)

The VC is basically plexi with a fantastic build quality. The MC is like a great JCM 800 with more gain and grind (a lot of people say it is like a JCM 800 mixed with a Hiwatt). The MTL reminds me of a VHT/Fryette Ultralead with more gain and, frankly, just a little better. I like the high gain stuff simillar to you and the MC and MTL really scratch that itch (and are so different from each other it is worth owning both). In my opinion, the VC would leave you wanting--it is clear and articulate but it just does not have close to that amount of gain on tap.

Thanks guys, that’s about what I expected but had to ask. There’s a couple of decently priced VC’s out there right now so was curious. Think I’ll pass on them.

Thanks guys, that’s about what I expected but had to ask. There’s a couple of decently priced VC’s out there right now so was curious. Think I’ll pass on them.
I think as long as it will take 2 boosts well you could get some killer hard rock tones..they have a master vol on the back so you can generate some power tube saturation and boost it. When I double boost my 72 Trem I wouldn’t trade it for any amp out there. Perfect rock tone to me. Problem is, it’s got no taper and goes from off to blow my windows out loud. The VC would do much the same I imagine.

You could look at a W800... built on a VC platform. Has as much gain as the MC2 but much more Marshallseque.

QH3ua6Y.jpg

Exactly as said above, my VC is a crazy loud well built beast but it won't give up the decent distortion until your ears bleed. If you have some stadiums to rock then it would excel. :)
It's a great Marshally clean amp that takes pedals well, but it wouldn't be suitable for your higher gain needs, def go for the MC/MCII/MTL options.

PQCfhP2l.jpg

Looking for thoughts on the Wizard Vintage Classic. Never owned a Wizard but read all about them here. But not much on the Vintage Classic (I searched). No good YouTube videos on them either. I’m sure build quality and those things are good, mainly how does it sound or what does it compare to?

For where I’m coming from, I like the high gain stuff, KSR, Diezel Herbert/Hagen, Bogner Uberschall/Eclipse, Marshall JVM/JCM800 kind of guy. Can the Vintage Classic reach that or am I better off sticking it out for a Wizard Metal/MC?
The Vintage Classic is Rick's take on the stock late 60's Marshall circuit. It will do AC/DC incredibly well, as it will do anything else a great sounding stock plexi will do. And that includes 70's Metal and Classic Rock. It's a classic plexi sounding amp.
Now, for a more modern tone, like 90's Metal and beyond, a Modern Classic or a Metal would be a more suitable amp to get.

Back