WTB Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+

Interesting, how do these compare to the Beijing Square getter 12AX7 from the late 80s early 90s?
Those ones from Beijing are my favourite Chinese preamp tube
The Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+ are richer in high mids and treble than the square getter 12ax7. Square getter sounds flatter in the mids and a bit more bass

I got some Ruby AC5, HG+ tubes that just came in from a buddy of mine who was getting rid of a bunch of his stash, and in my opinion, they don’t come close to the NOS [ ] getter Beijing ones.

The AC5’s aren’t as open and sound fizzy and congested compared to the Beijing ones, (in my opinion)...

Last edited:
Here you can see in the top of the tube there is a square foil getter, Not a circular ring as in all of the new production ones…
These [square] getter ones are from old (destroyed) factory in Beijing.

Attachments

• 9DE16A09-5B66-4090-AFFD-61EF9547EDC4.jpeg
    9DE16A09-5B66-4090-AFFD-61EF9547EDC4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Here you can see in the top of the tube there is a square foil getter, Not a circular ring as in all of the new production ones…
These [square] getter ones are from old (destroyed) factory in Beijing.
I run a combo of these and the HG+s in a few of my Wizards. Great tubes. I also have some of the 12AX7B silver dragons referenced above that sound great as well. Don't tell Rick I swapped out the JJs. :ROFLMAO:

I agree about the tone. The newer Chinese have more top and can sound fizzy. I still like the Beijings.

The AC5 HG+ are just tested/selected versions of the Shuguangs of which there are probably still bazillions unused ones. It was only a couple years ago that all the square getter Beijings got blown out. They were like $6-$8 on Alibaba and many were lots of 100. I know a few around here remember that.

https://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/shuguang-12ax7-b.html
If you want the EXACT SAME tube as the Ruby AC5, these are less money…

Ruby is buying these from the exact same source and testing them and puting the ‘HG and HG+‘ sticker on them without the Ruby silkscreening now.
As mentioned before, HG does NOT stand for ‘high gain’, It stands for ‘high grade’.

It's always been the exact same tube, just the branding is different.

https://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/shuguang-12ax7-b.html
If you want the EXACT SAME tube as the Ruby AC5, these are less money…

Ruby is buying these from the exact same source and testing them and puting the ‘HG and HG+‘ sticker on them without the Ruby silkscreening now.
As mentioned before, HG does NOT stand for ‘high gain’, It stands for ‘high grade’.

It's always been the exact same tube, just the branding is different.

Exactly. But I always found the HG and HG+ tend to be quieter in high gain circuits. ...is that Snake oil?

I don't know what the testing is but as you might expect, lower gain tubes tend to have lower noise (just as a very general trend). So I would hope these are tested as low noise AND nominal or better gain. If it's low noise/low gain, that's good to know too but not what most people think they're paying extra for.

I don't know what the testing is but as you might expect, lower gain tubes tend to have lower noise (just as a very general trend). So I would hope these are tested as low noise AND nominal or better gain. If it's low noise/low gain, that's good to know too but not what most people think they're paying extra for.

not sure on the Ruby’s but mine Definitely aren’t lower gain As I would have noticed when I’ve installed them.

I have bought high gain/low noise rated Silver dragon Chinese 12AX7B tubes From Tubes for Amps (I think) and they’re great. I wonder if they’re the same as the Ruby’s as the Dougs link above says his are 12AX7Bs as well.

Exactly. But I always found the HG and HG+ tend to be quieter in high gain circuits. ...is that Snake

Yes, exactly…
You’re paying extra for a somewhat more quiet tube,

From thetubeking website:

80‘s/90‘s Beijing Chinese Military Square Getter Triple-Mica 12AX7

Another tube I really like is the Chinese Military Beijing 12AX7.
This tube was manufactured in the 1980‘s-1990‘s in the Beijing Factory in China and features a Solid Foil Square Getter, Triple-Micas, and Military Markings. The sonic hallmarks of this 12AX7 are extreme clarity and a very low-noise floor. A ruggedly-built tube, the Beijing is perfect for high-gain applications, since it is quiet and very resistant to microphonics. In fact, the Beijing contributed a great deal to the 1980‘s “Marshall/Mesa Sound.” A lot of hard-rock guys go crazy for these particular tubes. They have great gain and a viscous rich distortion sound. These tubes have a surprisingly nice clean tone as well, which is good for blues, funk and rhythm guitar. The clean sound can be described as “clear and round with balanced bass, mids and highs." They have a very nice treble that is never harsh. I have used them in many amps, including Peavey Classic 30‘s and 50‘s with great results. In fact, I was shocked at how dead silent my modified Classic 30 became when I popped one of these Beijing 12AX7s into it’s V1 pre-amp slot. You will be surprised at how quiet your amp becomes with it’s ‘jet black’ background in both clean and high-gain use. If you want (V1) a slightly warmer tone with huge overdrive, try a Mullard I61 or I62 in the first slot of your amp and a Beijing in the distortion slot. These 12AX7s also work quite well in the phase-inverter slot in a tube amp, and sound great in home audiophile applications because of their clarity.

It is important to note that these older production tubes sound nothing like the newer mass-produced Chinese Shuguang 12AX7s, which can have a very harsh and unmusical tone.
There is constant debate on the Internet about which new Chinese version is the best, and how to identify a tube from the correct production run. I have found that the older NOS Chinese Beijings are far superior in sonic quality to ANY new production Chinese tubes. You must make sure to look for the ones that have a Dual-Supported Square Foil Getter. Sometimes these tubes have white Military ‘Star’ markings. Others have ECC83/12AX7 written vertically in thick red paint on the side of the tube. Still others were re-branded by companies such as Groove Tubes. Regardless of the paint, all the Square Getter Beijing 12AX7s are the same tubes and sound great. Remember that the Beijing tubes were produced for the Chinese military and, as such, are very well built and reliable. They are no longer being produced and are still considered a bargain for such a quality tube. Most of these tubes list for around $16.95-$19.95 on the Internet when you can find them. I buy them whenever I can and recommend them to all my customers. The Beijing is a great quality economy pre-amp tube, and you will be surprised at how good these can sound in the right applications.

I may be the minority here, but I found nothing glorious about their tone, and also found them to have the cheapest, flimsiest pins of any preamp tube I've owned. They bend, break, twist, junk. Hate 'em.

I may be the minority here, but I found nothing glorious about their tone, and also found them to have the cheapest, flimsiest pins of any preamp tube I've owned. They bend, break, twist, junk. Hate 'em.
Just another reason why I much prefer NOS Beijing ones👍

The ruby 12ax7ac5 has two types.. the china 12ax7b or JJ Ecc83S ? I tried and surprisingly i think the JJ sound better more open but less tight compared to china... but so far i like tungsol 12ax7 its both open and tight...

Back