Is a G Major 2 still the best buy for rack fx?

Good topic, i was wondering that too. i'm at that point where i'm 4-5 fx pedals deep in my rig now, and when i get to this point, typically i start thinking about flipping them all for an all in one. I really liked the original g-major, save for the shitty knobs and buttons that were prone to falling off.
what about the g-system? anyone one use those? can't they be racked and/or mounted on that floor board? i've been seeing those go for 500ish lately.
The gsystem can be rack mounted. There is a 1U rack under the floorboard. You can remove the fx processor and use it without the floorboard.

I have a G major 2. For the price I think it works fantastic. I use it in my wdw setup. However, I’m currently looking to upgrade to a an Eventide Eclipse. I’ve heard they are amazing.

I think you guys have successfully talked me out if going the G Major route. The older Axe FX seems appealing but there’s no channel-switching relays. I can work around that though. There’s also the Helix Rack but then we’re back to 3U beasts.

I think you guys have successfully talked me out if going the G Major route. The older Axe FX seems appealing but there’s no channel-switching relays. I can work around that though. There’s also the Helix Rack but then we’re back to 3U beasts.
Sounds good. You can always look into the Voodoo Labs Control Switcher unit. that's what I use with my Splawn Nitro to change channels via Midi.

Good luck

The G-major 2 has the single relay jack.
Yeah, but it's stereo, right? Like the G-major OG?
I use it in a 2U rack with an Engl 530 preamp. I can change between the channels and the gain structures.
Combined with a Eurekaprom FCB1010, it's a versatile and good sounding rig.

The Axe-fx is probably better sounding, but it costs twice to thrice as much, at least over here. You can get an Ultra for 700$, and the G-major OG for 150$. Depends on what you want to spend, and how picky you are. I play rock and metal, and I've never been anything but satisfied. Then again, I'm not a "it can always sound a little better.." kinda guy. If it sounds good, it is good. Everything at noon, and let's play instead of tweak :D

Yeah, but it's stereo, right? Like the G-major OG?
I use it in a 2U rack with an Engl 530 preamp. I can change between the channels and the gain structures.
Combined with a Eurekaprom FCB1010, it's a versatile and good sounding rig.

The Axe-fx is probably better sounding, but it costs twice to thrice as much, at least over here. You can get an Ultra for 700$, and the G-major OG for 150$. Depends on what you want to spend, and how picky you are. I play rock and metal, and I've never been anything but satisfied. Then again, I'm not a "it can always sound a little better.." kinda guy. If it sounds good, it is good. Everything at noon, and let's play instead of tweak :D
you're correct, however its not "enough" to get access to all the channels/features on the Splawn Nitro as the Nitro has 2 TRS jacks for the footswitch. I tested with the G-major 2 and I was only able to switch between Clean and OD1, that's it. Couldn't access OD2 and Solo boost.

That eclipse needs a facelift to drop that memory card slot, add a USB port and develop a user app. Jesh, or fractal needs to jam their FX shit in a 1U. One or the other already. WTF.

Why dropping the CFCard?
It gives you unlimited presets storage, way over any internal amount of internal memory possible, quick backup of your presets and setups on a computer or a smartphone.... I can travel wherever in the world with my card, insert it in any Eclipse and the box will be configured exactly like mine at home, in a second, without a computer or anything else!
USB port ain't necessary!
An user app may be nice for some... but it's been good to use it without for so long... There is a third party editor IF really necessary.

Last edited:
The Axe-FX is amazing also. Probably the biggest downfall is it way overkill and huge for what you are looking for. I think there is somthing fun about using these older, smaller, and more limited units. I could easily use my Axe-FX II in the loop all the time, but still like to switch around between different units for the fun of it. If anything, I would say the Axe effects are kind of vanilla, so you are not going to get a special coloring different brands are known for. However, you can do anything on it. It definitely wins on switching and routing capability.

Eclipse and PCM80 are the 2 best i've used. Although i only use the PCM for verbs.

They just have a 'mojo' and a character of their own.

The AxeFX Ultra had great quality effects! but they were very neutral and 'clean'. That 'mojo' wasn't there.

Eclipse and PCM80 are the 2 best i've used. Although i only use the PCM for verbs.

They just have a 'mojo' and a character of their own.

The AxeFX Ultra had great quality effects! but they were very neutral and 'clean'. That 'mojo' wasn't there.

Hey Spaceboy...
listen to saxxamafone... he's got THE EARS!
You have TONs of listening examples here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChRXGm_7EGQeIB4CbEK9t0A/videos
Spend quality time there with headphones or real spekaers and you'll know better about TONE and possibilities.

Unfortunately, no one is really making new affordable rack gear. Couple that with the fact that companies like Strymon and Eventide are releasing pedals that have better sound quality and effects than the rack gear that we were using ten to fifteen years ago. The new rack is a pedalboard with a switcher.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, not one is really making new affordable rack gear. Couple that with the fact that companies like Strymon and Eventide are releasing pedals that have better sound quality and effects than the rack gear that we were using ten to fifteen years ago. The new rack is a pedalboard with a switcher.

How would you prove that Eventide (Strymon doesn't build rack processors so it's out of the equation) "is releasing pedals that have better sound quality and effects than the rack gear that we were using ten to fifteen years ago"? Where are the technical facts about that?

How would you prove that Eventide (Strymon doesn't build rack processors so it's out of the equation) "is releasing pedals that have better sound quality and effects than the rack gear that we were using ten to fifteen years ago"? Where are the technical facts about that?
Well, I have owned the G Major, G Major2 and the G Force. My ears tell me that the effects sound quality of my H9, TimeLine and Mobius sound better and cleaner than the TC Electronics units. They are definitely more transparent on my core tone. I have compared them directly to my G Major 2. That is not to say that the G Major 2 doesn't sound good, but it does sound dated to my ears.

Well, I have owned the G Major, G Major2 and the G Force. My ears tell me that the effects sound quality of my H9, TimeLine and Mobius sound better and cleaner than the TC Electronics units. They are definitely more transparent on my core tone. I have compared them directly to my G Major 2. That is not to say that the G Major 2 doesn't sound good, but it does sound dated to my ears.

Well... you kind of shifted your statement. I'm not a big fan of those TC racks, particularly the G major and its variations as they never sounded good to me, being VERY cheap products. The G-Force is a little better but still isn't on the same level as other TC products of higher quality.
You say "more transparent"... now that's the major criticism moved to all these new units as they have no character at all; the cause of this is the removal of the analog input stage (preamp/filters/compander/etc.) which in classic rack units were what created their character, the reason why people love them and still use. I mean... go to the Capitol record in Hollywood, Studio A and B and you'll find a PCM70 in both studios, not a Strymon or a G-dude. Same for all Eventides from H3000 to H8000, TC2290, all Roland, Yamaha, Korg delays, all Lexicon PCMs delays and multi-fx, let alone the glorious Prime Time I/II/III monster delays... and the list goes on and on....
The cheap stuff made today IS transparent... so transparent to even sound glacially cold, dead. I have a TimeLine and a Volante... no matter how you tweak them... there is still a tone that has not much of an epic musical appeal, compared to others delay I own (2x2290s, Korg SDD1200, a spectacular Bel BDE-2400).. and being pedals they havo no versatility really as they can't accept true line levels signals so you have no way to process the good voltage signals thru them... try a piano or an orchestra thru them and you'll laugh badly.
It is not true that today technology delivers better fx processors. That's one of the big lies we are living today. Choice have been made, the kind that makes more money for the foxy bean counters and let young folks with cruelly characterless toys that won't stand the time test.
The smart move today would be to use some of these older classics as many of them are so damned cheap, even cheaper than a Strymon... and get to know the difference both in terms of sound quality AND versatility of algorithms and effects. There is nothing out there in the new products scene that is minimally capable of doing what many 1990s units can do... and with so much better tone!

I wish more manufacturers would make selectable line-level pedals. I hate having to neuter the signal in an amp design down to pedal level and then boost it back up to drive the output stage. It can add additional noise in the signal path that could be avoided.

In my not-so-humble opinion, pedals should be run in front of an amp at guitar level, or they should have a switch to allow them to run at line level in a proper effects loop. That's why I like rack effects, they can run at either level. Then again, I also hate doing the pedal tap-dance, so I avoid pedals. I prefer midi control so the amp channels and effects can all change with a single button press.

I have a G-Major, G-Major2 and an H9, and I like them all. The H9 effects sound best to me, but the interface is so horrendous I can never figure out how to run the damned thing without a computer hooked up to it. I'd love to see a low-cost "H9-R" rack unit with actual buttons and controls for the effects, but I guess the rack market is too small nowadays to make that worth developing. The Eclipse is great, but it is really too expensive to justify for my meager talents.

I have a TimeLine and a Volante... no matter how you tweak them... there is still a tone that has not much of an epic musical appeal, compared to others delay I own (2x2290s, Korg SDD1200, a spectacular Bel BDE-2400).. and being pedals they havo no versatility really as they can't accept true line levels signals so you have no way to process the good voltage signals thru them... try a piano or an orchestra thru them and you'll laugh badly.

Curious to know if you've ever tried the Pigtronix Echolution 2 pedals and if so what your thoughts on them are. I've used them for years now and dig them but I have zero experience with all those rack units nor the Strymon stuff so I'm curious how it compares

Back