PRS into a Dual & Mini Rectifier (the 'nu metal' sound)

• Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27494

Hey guys,

I got my beautiful PRS SC58 last week. I traded my Ibanez RGT320Z for it and I'm super stoked about it but that's another story. So when I think of PRS I tend to think of bands from the late 90s and early 2000s, you know, those 'nu metal' bands like Incubus, Limp Bizkit, Sevendust etc. So I really wanted to see how close I could get to that iconic tone with my Dual Rectifier and the PRS.

The PRS has the 57/08 pickups, which are basically very vintage voiced pickups. They sound like old PAF's supposedly but they work very well for modern styles as well luckily.

I ran that guitar through my Dual Rectifier and that sounded really nice but since I also own a Mini Rectifier I thought I needed to try that as well. And while I was at it, why not also do a comparison between the Dual Recto and Mini Recto? So I snuck that in as well. I think both amps sound really nice here but I would love to know your thoughts as well!

Here's the vid:

PRS/Mesa/Tremonti tone is anything but "new' but its great tone.
Creed was like 28 years ago.
Oh yeah, totally! I love Alter Bridge and Tremonti although I wouldn't consider them to be 'nu metal' per se. For that Tremonti tone I would probably blend in something like my MT15. That's worth a seperate video altogether I think....

The Mesa rectifier is one of my fav amps of all time. Great video bro!

Thanks! Same here. I love a lot of other amps and brands, but this is just a sound that I keep gravitating back to. Sounds like home to me ;)

Beautiful SC58! I had a Stripped 58 for several years, and it was a great one, too. I prefer the bigger necks on these. Congrats on scoring such a fine axe!

Nice tones on your video. The 57/08s are very versatile pickups, as I'm sure you've already figured out. The do low gain stuff well, too.

Beautiful SC58! I had a Stripped 58 for several years, and it was a great one, too. I prefer the bigger necks on these. Congrats on scoring such a fine axe!

Nice tones on your video. The 57/08s are very versatile pickups, as I'm sure you've already figured out. The do low gain stuff well, too.

Thanks! Yes those pickups are really nice indeed! :)

Ya, it was just my headphones that was causing it to sound brittle. The cover on the earbud came off. Sounds great for rectifiers, i prefer the reguilar recto.

Ya, it was just my headphones that was causing it to sound brittle. The cover on the earbud came off. Sounds great for rectifiers, i prefer the reguilar recto.

To be fair, Rectos are know for not having the most smooth top-end. A good Recto is supposed to sound a little raw imho.

Back