Jose, Cameron, Friedman kind of thing

I’d bump up the NFB resistor a bit and try a 470nf presence cap. I also think a larger cap than the 470p on the second bright switch might be worth a try. How do you like the asymmetrical clipping switch?

scottosan":13dzldhh said:
I’d bump up the NFB resistor a bit and try a 470nf presence cap. I also think a larger cap than the 470p on the second bright switch might be worth a try. How do you like the asymmetrical clipping switch?

Yeah, I might try some variable NFB. I Tried 680nf on the presence, I liked it, but like 100nf better. I'll have to order some 470nf's

Really I intended to have 470p, and 2n2 available on both bright switches. So that probably how it'll end up.

I live in the aymmetrical mode, sooo nice.

Great stuff.....ya put a lot of work into that, and thanks for sharing it.

I love these places. Little gems of knowledge randomly pop up. You never know where you will find it. Even when not looking for it. Amp Garage is like that too.

A treasure hunt of knowledge.

Damn I noticed I had the depth kind of cranked and the last clips were pretty woofy.

Heres a new clip

Last clips that are woofy

This one with 4700pf bright cap on second gain

no bright caps

Last edited:
Sounds cool.

I like 1.0 cathode caps on V1

Try some 47pf snubbers at the 330k and 100k plate resistors on V1. It will remove some of the upper high end. Friedman uses 500pf which IMO makes the high end wonky.

Pi coupling caps. Try .1uf. You could just put them on top of the .022’s. This will thicken it up a bit and might make it feel better.

Depth, try anything between .002 and .0068. I tend to like .004. Use ceramic caps. There is a big tonal change between cap types and even brands.
From my experience working on my amps over the many years, cap type makes no difference at all on sound or tone, if it does, it's barely noticable or even worth worring about. Another internet myth IMO. Xicon, mustard, orange drops, Mallroys, Zozo all sound identical. I can see maybe ceramics being a little noisy but not sounding any different.

From my experience working on my amps over the many years, cap type makes no difference at all on sound or tone, if it does, it's barely noticable or even worth worring about. Another internet myth IMO. Xicon, mustard, orange drops, Mallroys, Zozo all sound identical. I can see maybe ceramics being a little noisy but not sounding any different.
Consider yourself lucky then and don’t bother with the minutiae 👍

Notice how Bogner, Cameron, Fortin, Larry all use different cap brands in specific parts of the amp? Capacitor manufacturing differences indeed change the tonal effects. I mentioned the depth circuit since there is a very big audible difference in this location.

To add fuel to the fire, different brands of zener diodes have tonal differences as well. 👍

Last edited:

Like Dave said consider yourself lucky I guess. They do make a difference, and when different caps (brand, series, and composition) are painstakingly selected for each spot in the amp. It can take a decent amp to a WOW holy grail amp.

It doesn't stop at capacitors, its every component, resistors, iron, even pots.

Back