Are there any good Plexi kits?

gybe!

Looking to tackle a build, have looked at the Triode electronics kit but am wondering if there are any better options out there?

I would go all Valvestorm, he has just about everything and he is great to deal with, ships fast. I highly recommend the Metro Dagnall C1998 output transformer(built by Heyboer) or a Merren Output transformer, Just about any quality power transformer will do the job that is spec'd right but Heyboer or Merren are extremely well built and give years of trouble free performance.

If you can find the old Metro step by step build instruction with the pics they are essential to the first time builder. George might even have them PDF downloadable on Metroamp.com

Last edited:
I second valvestorm. But if you want a packaged bundle go with Ceriatone. Mojotone was a mess. Also if you want to go the PCB route Headfirst Amplification has ST1 based boards which can do a plexi or 800. I have a plexi and an 800 built with it currently that has been great. He includes layouts and BOM.

Headfirst Amps has a cool site with mods.. Jake E Lee mod looks right up my alley and I am assuming it is based on the Friedman JEL. (it is..it is in the documentation)

Last edited:
I’d go Ceriatone and have them upgrade all of the caps/components to the good sozo made in USA stuff.

I’d recommend Merren for OT and Marstran or a Heyboer direct PT.

Ive had better luck with the phenolic tube sockets over ceramic as ceramic will crack if the head ever takes an unfortunate spill. They also crack if over tightened.

I’d go Ceriatone and have them upgrade all of the caps/components to the good sozo made in USA stuff.

Ive had better luck with the phenolic tube sockets over ceramic as ceramic will crack if the head ever takes an unfortunate spill. They also crack if over tightened.
Honestly I can't really see that much of an upgrade with Nik's parts vs the sozos. The transformers would be best to buy local not that they sound bad just the amount you would save on shipping.

Having said that I gutted my Ceriatone plexi and rebuilt it with a headfirst pcb.

Honestly I can't really see that much of an upgrade with Nik's parts vs the sozos. The transformers would be best to buy local not that they sound bad just the amount you would save on shipping.

Having said that I gutted my Ceriatone plexi and rebuilt it with a headfirst pcb.
If you go Ceriatone DO NOT get the transformers from them. Get them from the aforementioned Merren, Marstran or Heyboer. I speak from experience as I've had a Ceriatone PT shit the bed 6 months after buying it new.
Just a word of warning.

If you go Ceriatone DO NOT get the transformers from them. Get them from the aforementioned Merren, Marstran or Heyboer. I speak from experience as I've had a Ceriatone PT shit the bed 6 months after buying it new.
Just a word of warning.
Man Ive heard horror stories but Ive never had any issues with their transformers. Maybe they got whatever the issue was resolved or switched vendors. But if you are building an amp Nik's transformers are going to be just as expensive if not more as US made ones after shipping.

Depends on the circuit. He’s got jacked up filtering on a lot of the Hot rod plexi line

I have the instructions for the Valvestorm/Metro kits if anyone needs them. I'm looking into an OT upgrade for my real 1987x. What to put in there? I have Merrens in my 1959 clone build, but Chris just never answers emails or vms. How to buy from him now? CT is out of business, MM is insanely expensive.

I have the instructions for the Valvestorm/Metro kits if anyone needs them. I'm looking into an OT upgrade for my real 1987x. What to put in there? I have Merrens in my 1959 clone build, but Chris just never answers emails or vms. How to buy from him now? CT is out of business, MM is insanely expensive.
I asked Chris about a PT for my 72 Trem, as mine is from a mid 70s Marshall so it measures at 490v instead of the monster 540v that the 72s could come with. He answered me within 2 days.

I got one set from him about five years ago. I've tried several more times to buy from him and he's unresponsive. He must be so busy, he just doesn't want more business. I've probably bought five more sets from ClassicTone since I tried with Chris.

I went with the Metro (now Valvestorm) kits 5 times. Got them with upgraded SoZo signal caps (the high end ones, not the base SoZo's), Mercury trannies and NOS glass. Pretty frigging close to a real Plexi at that point, as I've had them side by side using a Metro amp switcher to flip back and forth through the same cab.

I went with the Metro (now Valvestorm) kits 5 times. Got them with upgraded SoZo signal caps (the high end ones, not the base SoZo's), Mercury trannies and NOS glass. Pretty frigging close to a real Plexi at that point, as I've had them side by side using a Metro amp switcher to flip back and forth through the same cab.
Yeah that’s what I mean about the sozo caps as well - the marked made in USA old looking ones. They’re killer sounding caps and what I use exclusively in negative feedback mods. Expensive as all get out though, you have to have deep pockets and know what you want.

Huh? I didn't know there were older, better or more expensive Sozo caps. I got the cheap ones in my builds, and they sounded pretty good. How to upgrade?

Those Mojotone kits posted above are a great value considering they include cabinet and tubes. I'm buying parts for a Valvestorm '69 SL and I'm way over that already and I haven't even bought a cab...or tubes. The sticker on the OT looks like Heyboer.

But if you want a nicer cabinet and would not use those JJ tubes anyway then the kit might not be the best choice. I really like Sourmash cabs and EH EL34s...but that's about $400 right there after shipping. And I went with MM iron which is crazy expensive (I justify by saying "it only hurts once") so piecing it all together at Valvestorm worked. So just the Sourmash cab, power tubes, and transformers is more than that whole kit. It can get really expensive if you go all out with NOS parts/tubes.

Yeah that’s what I mean about the sozo caps as well - the marked made in USA old looking ones. They’re killer sounding caps and what I use exclusively in negative feedback mods. Expensive as all get out though, you have to have deep pockets and know what you want.
I've done 60's Mustards in two of mine, so don't think the SoZo's are expensive. You'll pay 3-5 times more for a complete set of Mustard caps from the 60's.

Back