Mark IV PSA

My amp is a IVB, but it's a very early B with the attached power cord and some of the same components as the A version. It just so happens that mine has two brown Sprague 10000uf caps in it, they are bigger can caps that stand upright. Man, i don't want to send this amp in, but I think it may be time, it's been having a few issues. I wanna wait a few years still....

Does it matter if the caps are replaced with 24 volts?
Originals are 16v, so going higher in voltage is fine. It’s just the max voltage that the caps can take. So as longer as the 24v caps fit, you are good. I think I ordered 24v caps to replace the brown ones for my amp.

I still haven't had mine done. Else where someone posted that about one in four of the amps that have this issue there is a leak.

Man. That's a bummer.
Maybe the smart play if sending to Mesa:

Call and request these explosive cap replacements and have it done. Or diy.

Mine are brown and say ...

SXE
16v
8200uf

9(2)
5a

Can anyone confirm if these are are the bad ones ????

It doesn't say SPRAGUE anywhere on it.

Mine are brown and say ...

SXE
16v
8200uf

9(2)
5a

Can anyone confirm if these are are the bad ones ????

It doesn't say SPRAGUE anywhere on it.
You have an A circuit since those are your cap values. If it’s a 1992 it’s due for a cap change soon anyway, surprised Mesa said that these were not the bad ones. Checked the first post and they only mention the 10,000 if caps, not the 8200.

You have an A circuit since those are your cap values. If it’s a 1992 it’s due for a cap change soon anyway, surprised Mesa said that these were not the bad ones. Checked the first post and they only mention the 10,000 if caps, not the 8200.
The 10,000’s were the only ones Mike B mentioned to me.

It was built 11/15/1990.
Almost 32 years old. Mesa mentioned they should be changed because of age. My Tremoverb, Heartbreaker and Mark IV all are old enough to need a capacitor change.

Back