DNAD: Peavey Invective 120 and MH! (review/demo)

• Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27494

Hey all!

I'm excited guys, because I've got 2 awesome new amps in the studio: the Peavey Invective 120 and the Invective MH Mini Head. (Quick disclosure up-front: I got a pretty good deal on these for my video but at my request). You guys all know of these amps right? I know I was very interested in both of these amps ever since they came out but they were a little hard to get at times. A lot of guys really wanted to see the MH on my channel too so that's another reason why I wanted that one.

In short: I'm blown away! With the 120, the tones on this amps are just there and the amount of tweaking that can be done is nothing short of amazing! The core 6505/5150 tones are certainly there but maybe with a little bit more fierceness by default. A little brighter and more saturated I think. The built-in boost functions totally make this amp even more versatile and that's what makes this amp so well suited for modern metal or extended range guitar tones.

The footswitch that comes with the amp also is great. I love how it lets you store presets and turn all the functions on or off. I wasn't expecting it to come with the amp 'for free' so I was super stoked about that. The built-in gate and master boost are also welcome additions and the 9v jacks on the back were a pleasant surprise!

The MH is also very cool! Very tiny of course, just as the 6505 MH. I haven't compared the Invective MH to the 6505 MH directly just yet but I think the Invective is more saturated and bright sounding. The MH is a bit brighter by default than the 120, probably because of the different poweramp layout (because the 120 gets darker when you turn up the post gains etc.) but that's easily dialed in with the presence and treble controls.

Anyway, here's my demo/review video with some 6, 7 and 8 string tones of both amps:

Anyone else here have one or have you ever tried one? There is a lot more to be said about these amps. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!

I think the point you make about the interaction between the post gain and master controls is very important, and one that several reviewers have overlooked/completely missed.

I think the point you make about the interaction between the post gain and master controls is very important, and one that several reviewers have overlooked/completely missed.

Yes it has quite an impact on the overall tone of the amp!

Yeah, I'm curious how the Invective slots in to the 5150/6505 and 5152/6505+ spectrum.

Also; does the tone change with the master boost function? I thought I read some folks saying that the amp sounds best if you always dime the master boost and just control the volume with the front panel.

I love the 6505+ but am a bit interested in the Invective. The original 5150/6505 was a bit too burly/unrefined to work for me.

Yeah, I'm curious how the Invective slots in to the 5150/6505 and 5152/6505+ spectrum.

Also; does the tone change with the master boost function? I thought I read some folks saying that the amp sounds best if you always dime the master boost and just control the volume with the front panel.

I love the 6505+ but am a bit interested in the Invective. The original 5150/6505 was a bit too burly/unrefined to work for me.

I can confirm that the master boost makes the amp a bit darker sounding and you can make the amp a bit more loud with it too. For me it's fine without the master boost when I'm recording or playing through my loadbox. I don't mind bright tones, plus I'm taking the highs with the channel volumes anyway.

Invective has been a very polarizing amp ever since its release for a couple reasons, but still on that list of amps I need to try.
What are those rerasons? I think it sounds good, besides what is being played... the djenty, play dissonant chord, low note stab, repeat, kinda thing, haha, it's old and dated now I think. Not really modern anymore.

What are those rerasons? I think it sounds good, besides what is being played... the djenty, play dissonant chord, low note stab, repeat, kinda thing, haha, it's old and dated now I think. Not really modern anymore.
First being the signature amp for Misha of Periphery, hence the "Djent" thing. Second was the initial advertising as to where the amp was actually being built or "assembled." It's just always had a weird reputation surrounding it.

First being the signature amp for Misha of Periphery, hence the "Djent" thing. Second was the initial advertising as to where the amp was actually being built or "assembled." It's just always had a weird reputation surrounding it.
All I know is that Misha just uses it as a poweramp live. He uses the Axefx III into the return of the loop. I saw that in a rig rundown. I think if he wants to sell more of the amps then he should use them as they are, not just as a poweramp. It kinda gives the wrong impression of the amp.

Back