Pete Thorn demos Mick Mars Dr. Feelgood Marshall

Are the stock input stages even jumped? That bottom input with knob pulled was with boost stage AND dialing in the Normal channel to fill it out. Seemed like it was running the original inputs not jumped and then the added tube put a gain stage in front. Either in front of just the Bright channel or in front of paralleled channels (like a y-cable). Do I have this wrong?

EDIT: I just rewatched and if you look under the Normal volume knob it looks like it says "BOTH". Which to me implies that whatever input you plug into you get just the Bright channel with that knob pushed and you get paralleled channels with it pulled. Boost input or Normal input.
If you look at the video, Pete explains that you have to pull the normal volume knob to bring it into the circuit when you use the boost. So, it appears that the tone comes from blending both jumped channels with the boost engaged in front. I will readily be corrected if I have misunderstood.

It sounds like a simple gain stage in front of the jumped stock stages and a pre-phase inverter Master Volume. Its not rocket science. I hope people don't get overly excited and pay a fortune for something so simple...
Exactly. Frankly, I'm surprised this hit 3 pages. I dont think the amp sounds that great...I mean its cool, but.... I never cared for Mick Mar's tone on any album.

Last edited:
If you look at the video, Pete explains that you have to pull the normal volume knob to bring it into the circuit when you use the boost. So, it appears that the tone comes from blending both jumped channels with the boost engaged in front. I will readily be corrected if I have misunderstood.
I mistook 'jumped' to mean cascaded but I think you meant channels paralleled so I think we're on same page. Pete only did it when plugged into the boost input but my guess is that it works with either input.

How bout the DTF-100 "Down To Fuck100"

For real tho i can get most of that tone from 2 knobs once my tone stack is set.
No majic bullet IMO.
Definitely some premeditation going on with the Friedman/VooDoo camps.

Last edited:
Great video as usual from Pete. I really liked the tone, but preferred it before the boost. The boost seemed to kind of narrow the sound, until Pete brought in the normal channel.

cool to see a clone available from voodoo amps, even if the looks of that amp leave something to be desired.
Exactly. Frankly, I'm surprised this hit 3 pages. I dont think the amp sounds that great...I mean its cool, but.... I never cared for Mick Mar's tone on any album.
When I listen to the video, that tone sounds nothing like any of his albums to me. I actually like the tones in the video better than his album tones.

It sounds like a simple gain stage in front of the jumped stock stages and a pre-phase inverter Master Volume. Its not rocket science. I hope people don't get overly excited and pay a fortune for something so simple...

They will.
And in 15 years those Jose modded/Friedman modded/Cameron modded heads will go for $20K and someone will buy them if MC hasn't overdosed by then.
Its a vicious cycle.

Last edited:
I would have to agree with both of your assessments on this Jose. I think the standard pre-tonestack Jose seems to provide more of the traditional Marshall plexi/superlead clank and harmonic content. While the Mick Mars Jose seemed a little flat to my ears. Some people might like or love it and that's all good.

Pete Thorn has been putting out cool videos non stop!
And it's so cool to hear in detail a Mick Mars owned Jose amp.
On a sad note, I was very disappointed with the amps tone.
I mean, it sounded great, but compared to the Steve Vai, and other Jose amps I've heard, it wasn't that impressive. It sounded just like a good(not amazing) sounding stock Marshall.
But that's just my personal taste.
Personally, I thought the Vai Marshall annihilated this thing. I didn’t care much for the tone.

It was a joke but the real joke is who and what paid and bought that amp. A fool and their money.

Eh it's a collectors piece, you're not paying for the amp you're paying for the history. Not something I would do personally but I get it.

Yep and given the typical values Jose used are well-known shouldn't be difficult to replicate this at all...

Back