Pete Thorn demos Mick Mars Dr. Feelgood Marshall

Eh it's a collectors piece, you're not paying for the amp you're paying for the history. Not something I would do personally but I get it.
Exactly. The amp sounds great but no amp sounds 44k great. I happen to love Mick's tone and that album and IF I was some rich dude who had cash to throw around at things like watches and cars, I'd def pick that up if it was involved in the recording of the Feelgood album.

Thing is, you can measure and map out every resistor and cap, transformers etc but it still won’t get there. This has been tried so many times with Jose amps...it’s always gonna sound different no matter who does it. Only way it would completely match up to the original is finding an identical vintage Marshall, that sounds and feels exact like it with the same measurables...and even then I’d still bet they wouldn’t sound the same.
Rabbit hole stuff.

Last edited:
Yep and given the typical values Jose used are well-known shouldn't be difficult to replicate this at all...
Transformer specs, at least not all of them, are not revealed in circuit schematics. I believe in order to truly clone a transformer, the original has to removed, dissected and analyzed in a multitude of ways. All but the most skillful of hands could destroy the original in such an attempt.

Mick Mars tone worked great for mick, not exactly a tone I’m looking for though

Same here. Bob Rock also really got the absolute best out of Mick and his rig on that album.
Funny, had read that the only way he could be productive with the band during those sessions
was working with each separate while the other's weren't around.

Mars is a hero to my daughter cause he has a similar condition as her. She figures if he
can be a rock star and tour the world, she'll be just fine.
:rawk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Mars#Health

Last edited:
Transformer specs, at least not all of them, are not revealed in circuit schematics. I believe in order to truly clone a transformer, the original has to removed, dissected and analyzed in a multitude of ways. All but the most skillful of hands could destroy the original in such an attempt.

Cockin dippy aint got that kinda scratch.
But his Lego's are nice.
Did you hear he once Zoom-chatted with Phil Collen ?

If you look at the video, Pete explains that you have to pull the normal volume knob to bring it into the circuit when you use the boost. So, it appears that the tone comes from blending both jumped channels with the boost engaged in front. I will readily be corrected if I have misunderstood.
I’ve had couple come across and from what I’ve seen the pull engages the stage added up front.

Last edited:
I also appreciate some of these original Jose mods not being leaked and if Dave is going to do a small release it seems fitting that he should be doing it.

voodoo-amps-richard-fortus-r4-single-lead-small-png.76851

My god.. Kill it with fire..
The pussy might be tight, but can we turn out the lights??
Yeah, agreed. Who the hell thought this is a winning design?! Get rid of half that stenciling.

I also appreciate some of these original Jose mods not being leaked and if Dave is going to do a small release it seems fitting that he should be doing it.

Why Dave? Why not anyone else? Not upset, just genuinely curious what informs your opinion...

I'm of the opinion that these mods should be public domain since Jose has passed and left no instructions...

Last edited:
Why Dave? Why not anyone else? Not upset, just genuinely curious what informs your opinion...

I'm of the opinion that these mods should be public domain since Jose has passed and left no instructions...
Anybody can do em surely, Dave seems to be the one servicing the originals the most so I think it’s fitting if he releases some. The guy from blockhead / 3 monkeys has a nice YouTube video detailing his original Jose, nice of him to do so.

Mick Mars tone worked great for mick, not exactly a tone I’m looking for though
I loved his tone on Shout At The Devil and to a much lesser extent Too Fast For Love, but no thanks on the rest. Especially on Girls. I haven't listened to the Corabi album in years, but I was really impressed with his tone at the time it was released.

I've been a huge Motley Crue and Metallica fan for years. It was so crazy that Metallica, of all bands, wanted Bob Rock after they heard the great drums and guitar tones on that album. Anyone who heard past Crue albums knows that the songs were great but the tone didn't hold up. When you listen to Dr. Feelgood, it just sounds so thick. The low end rumbling, Tommy's huge drums and then THAT stacked Mick Marshall tone. Those songs still sound full.

Back