Finished Acoustically Treating My Tiny Room

scottosan

I’ve been playing out of the corner of my bedroom for almost 2 years. The acoustics were horrible and my wife didn’t like the playing or the modding/tweaking of amps there. That room literally had a Jekyll and Hyde effect on my tone. Nothing sounded the same day to day. After several times hearing my amps in some other place, it became apparent that something had to give for a play area. My only option was a small 10x10 room with no carpet. As you can imagine the sound waves bouncing around like crazy, creating another unpleasant and fatiguing play area. I bought an area rug and 120sqft of budget acoustic foam 1 and 2 inch. Some trial and error with furniture and object placement and I’m really happy with the sound. My amps have never sounded like this, much more musical and no ear fatigue. The high end standing waves are for the most part completely tamed. It’s also seconding as my office and small theater. Lights off and tv against a dark wall has a nice effect and the sound treatment is great for the theater effect as well.

rpg dice games online

Last edited:
Nice one. Yeah it makes a real difference in the high end when shit is bouncing off the walls everywhere.

Nice!

Any chance of tacking a few tiles on your ceiling too?
I was thinking about it, but I have that cheap popcorn ceiling. It in itself isn’t as hard as the walls or floor and I’m pretty happy with the current result. I did read that you don’t want to deaden the room to much

I was thinking about it, but I have that cheap popcorn ceiling.

The texture itself helps a bit. The other thing that I just noticed, and it's easy enough
to try to see if it works - drape a thick towel over the TV. It's directly behind your head
based on the chair in your pictures, and the flat hard surface could be causing nasty reflections.

Last edited:
Looks better than my room. I have carpet but then hung some moving blankets on the walls.

I have a similar setup; with acoustic tiles on the opposite wall. My issue is some of the tiles keep coming unstuck...I have some double sided tape I’m going to use so hopefully that works better.

I'm totally clueless about this stuff.

About a year ago, my guitar room was "repurposed" and my stuff ended up in a small unfinished room. The amp cabinets face a cement wall, but there's stuff in front of it (more amps and cabs, haha, boxes, etc.). Exposed rafter ceiling. Cement floor but covered almost entirely by a thin area rug.

I'm noticing some unpleasant treble that I never noticed before I got shoved into this space. Is this something that treating the room can solve?

I'm totally clueless about this stuff.

About a year ago, my guitar room was "repurposed" and my stuff ended up in a small unfinished room. The amp cabinets face a cement wall, but there's stuff in front of it (more amps and cabs, haha, boxes, etc.). Exposed rafter ceiling. Cement floor but covered almost entirely by a thin area rug.

I'm noticing some unpleasant treble that I never noticed before I got shoved into this space. Is this something that treating the room can solve?
YES!

I would have just bought more gear. If you fill the room up with enough 4x12 cabs, it has the same effect. Then you have a stack of soundproofing that says "Marshall", a stack that says "Mesa", a stack that says Ampeg (just in case), a stack that "Friedman"...

So will I have more pleasant top end if my foam says Cameron or Friedman?
Yes. Friedman is already into it, his prototype foam samples are in the hands of his "amp testers", play through videos are in final editing now with quarter turn panel comparisons. Cameron is sleeping on his own foam prototypes so unknown if we will see them before Summer NAMM :rock:

Wow, your wife allowed you to man cave her bedroom! LOL! She must really love you!:D:yes:

When I was married I had a small bedroom to myself as my man cave for playing and amp tinkering, but she would have never gone for me setting all that stuff up in the master bedroom.

Glad the acoustical tile and the area rug are doing the trick!:2thumbsup:

My daughter records professionally and we converted a closet with truck blankets. It worked perfectly. She recorded multiple voice overs episodes for a kids TV show in the closet. 🤣

(y)

https://www.amazon.com/Sure-Max-Mov...ocphy=9061207&hvtargid=pla-570040227570&psc=1
@psychodave

Ever watch the documentary on the recording of Deep Purple's Machine Head?
Your closet vocal booth would have fit right in.

purple.jpg

(y)

https://www.amazon.com/Sure-Max-Mov...ocphy=9061207&hvtargid=pla-570040227570&psc=1
@psychodave

Ever watch the documentary on the recording of Deep Purple's Machine Head?
Your closet vocal booth would have fit right in.

View attachment 77238
I used the mid weight blankets. I’ve seen the Deep Purple documentary years back. It cool stuff.

Ive recorded my guitar cabinet by surrounding it with other guitar cabinets. Put a 4x12 on each side facing each other and one on top facing down. The 3 cabs absorb some sound (they are NOT plugged in). The form a little hall.

Here is my daughters closet.
1620085551126.jpeg

Ive recorded my guitar cabinet by surrounding it with other guitar cabinets.

I love watching the old docs to remember that it doesn't take rocket science to get great results.

Just cause we're on the subject - this is a favorite.
One of the dozen or so studios they used to record the Brown Bomber back in 1969.

jim.jpg

He could also hang a truck blanket on the ceiling with a few tacks which will kill sound waves.
My daughter records professionally and we converted a closet with truck blankets. It worked perfectly. She recorded multiple voice overs episodes for a kids TV show in the closet. 🤣

ive done the same with my closet where i keep my cabs.

Back