NAD: Marshall JCM800 SC20H with quick clip

acev

My new 20W JCM800 arrived a day ago, got to play it a bit today. Sound pretty awesome, more open and less compressed and less gainy compared to my EVH head. It needs a boost to get into high(er) gain territory. Sounds like a true JCM800 basically. I had some low watt heads, Origin 20, Engl Gigmaster, Jet city with ala Friedman mod and this one sounds the best out of them. Im tempted to put the Legendary Tones Hot mod into it :)

Quick room clip:

Had one. Like you said, sounds just like it's big brother.
Marshall hit a home run with these.
Reviews of the SV20 are just as good too.

Thanks, still tweaking the tones. I could use some more gain:)
Your second clip sounds much fuller and sounds good there ACEV.

If you start gaining things up in the preamp circuit you will start hearing compression like your EVH has which is antithetical to the crunchy goodness of a 2203 circuit, but that is just my opinion. Probably a good amp for simple gain mods.

You could try a higher output pedal or maybe something like the VFE standout.

Your second clip sounds much fuller and sounds good there ACEV.

If you start gaining things up in the preamp circuit you will start hearing compression like your EVH has which is antithetical to the crunchy goodness of a 2203 circuit, but that is just my opinion. Probably a good amp for simple gain mods.

You could try a higher output pedal or maybe something like the VFE standout.
Thanks, I was thinking of Legendary tones Hot mod, about the same price as a hi end boost pedal.

Not a fan of those but YMMV. I have a older VFE standout EQ and it turn a mildly gained 2203 into a metal machine.

Maybe even a VFE Dragon OD as well.

Check out Psychodave's vid of the VFE pedals into a stock 1980 2203.

Sounds cool. I wouldn't mod an 800-type amp. To send it into modern metal tones, I'd look for a parametric eq to boost it. Center the mid boost around 600-650 Hz. Adjust the Q so that it doesn't sound quacky like a wah pedal. And then boost the overall output of the unit sky high.

My new 20W JCM800 arrived a day ago, got to play it a bit today. Sound pretty awesome, more open and less compressed and less gainy compared to my EVH head. It needs a boost to get into high(er) gain territory. Sounds like a true JCM800 basically. I had some low watt heads, Origin 20, Engl Gigmaster, Jet city with ala Friedman mod and this one sounds the best out of them. Im tempted to put the Legendary Tones Hot mod into it :)

Quick room clip:

That amp sounds awesome. I wouldn't need anymore gain than that personally and like you said, throw a SD-1 or TS-9 in front and you are golden.

Sounds great!

Problem I have with the lower watt lunchbox heads is they just lack the headroom, girth, and balls of a 100w. I knew going in they wouldn't be capable and thought I'd be satisfied as long as the tone was there, but turned out I missed those attributes like a crackhead jonesing for the next pull off the old glass dick. The tone was 100% there on the Wizard and Friedman minis I've owned and they sounded and felt amazing, but I craved that air moving, pants flapping thump and kick in the nuts.

Here's is a VFE dragon and standout into a 1980 2203. I can't imagine you needing an more that this.

Never played the Standout, but the Dragon really thickens up a Marshall type circuit and can add significant gain and compression if desired. I used one in front of an MCII and a JMP 2204 and it played real nice with those amps.

Sounds great!

Problem I have with the lower watt lunchbox heads is they just lack the headroom, girth, and balls of a 100w. I knew going in they wouldn't be capable and thought I'd be satisfied as long as the tone was there, but turned out I missed those attributes like a crackhead jonesing for the next pull off the old glass dick. The tone was 100% there on the Wizard and Friedman minis I've owned and they sounded and felt amazing, but I craved that air moving, pants flapping thump and kick in the nuts.
That is the most penis references in one post that I have ever seen

Sounds great!

The smaller watt amps just miss the punch and the excursion on the speakers IMHO. They sound great but about 50 watts is the lowest I'm willing to go these days.

Back