Recording woes

I'm trying to record some original pieces I've composed, and I cannot, for the fucking life of me, produce a good-sounding tone on the DAW. I've tried my 5150 lbx. I've tried my Marshall DSL40CR. I'm going through all sorts of VSTs, including Fortin Cali Suite, ML800, Guitar Rig, etc...

I'm not sure if its just my ear, but nothing comes out like I want it.

I really like the sound of the Fortin' VST, but the issue with it is that it cuts out unless you're digging into the string like a mofo. I turned to gate all the way off on it, and I still have to work like hell to get all the notes to sound out.

It's actually this way with everything. Even with my real amps. I'm not sure why the hell this only seems to happen to me, but I cannot get the guitar sounds to act right. Nothing sounds right.

What the bloody hell am I doing wrong?

Using Studio One. Thanks!

I got sick tone from a late 70's JB equipped Ibanez and 11 Rack. What's the sound in your head?

That said, cheap preamps worked on even the black album. I think Glenn Fricker (sp) displayed that with some cheap Behringer mixer and two '57's.

I spent a bit and got a SPL Crimson 3 ($650 from Thomann). Coupled with two '57s and a Mesa 4x12 I couldn't be happier, other than when I mix a Rode K2 with Amperex Bugle Boy 6922 into the mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post the complete line of components from the mic to your speakers?
On the Focusrite,
- use input 1, only use input 2 (inst) if going directly from guitar
- make sure you have the gain knob set to a good level

In the DAW, create a mono track and choose Input 1 from the Focusrite as the source. Stereo track would include inputs 1&2 and you have nothing in Input 2.
Choose the Focusrite as the output
Don’t put any inserts on the track.
Set the track fader to unity ( 0 )
Can you get a sound this way?

this may be a good 10 minutes to check out if you have not:

Can you post the complete line of components from the mic to your speakers?
On the Focusrite,
- use input 1, only use input 2 (inst) if going directly from guitar
- make sure you have the gain knob set to a good level

In the DAW, create a mono track and choose Input 1 from the Focusrite as the source. Stereo track would include inputs 1&2 and you have nothing in Input 2.
Choose the Focusrite as the output
Don’t put any inserts on the track.
Set the track fader to unity ( 0 )
Can you get a sound this way?

this may be a good 10 minutes to check out if you have not:

Most excellent high-value reply; bravo brother! You are why Rig-Talk is great.

I'll try to mixdown a clip to post. Please give me a little bit of time.

In the meantime, here are some recent clips of me doing a livestream. For some reason I can get a killer tone with little effort using Prism/OBS streaming software. But I can't get an equivalent tone like this in my DAW.

Back