Pulling the trigger on a Wizard MC25

If I was going to do it, I'd do at least a 50 watt, depending on what it was for.

The 25 is a great amp, but it excels at the lead tone oriented stuff when cranked. It's still loud, but manageable.

Rhythm tones seem to benefit from the bigger iron and headroom though.
Thx for that. I’m mostly into rhythm.

If I was going to do it, I'd do at least a 50 watt, depending on what it was for.

The 25 is a great amp, but it excels at the lead tone oriented stuff when cranked. It's still loud, but manageable.

I assume you’ve played both?

This 110%. I've owned 5 Wizards; 4 100 watters and an MC25 and I'd take the 100 watt or at least 50 watts every time. Make no mistake, the MC25 is BADASS, but the headroom and girth is night/day between the 25 and 100. If you never experienced a 50w or 100w Wizard you'd probably be more than satisfied with the MC25 as it does punch as hard or harder than most 50w and some 100 watt non Wizard amps. Just do a 100w as they're 95% as good at low volumes but will punch harder than anything out there when wound up a bit. Just my 2.

Last edited:
I've owned a 2012 MTL 50, and a 2010 MC100. The 50 felt like 100, but the MC100....like a damn carnival ride. Just unreal how that amp pushes...nothing like it. Not even my Coliseum pushes quite like the 100w Wizard; and the Coli is 180w. The Coli is a wall of sound while the Wizard had this percussive thump...if you are going to pay for a new one I'd wait till you can go all in on a 100w. As others have said, they have great MVs. In fact the MC100 had a spot very low on the volume that makes it sound like the power tubes are being pushed.

Fuck it. Unless y’all talk me into a 50 watt.

I support your choice(s)! Couple things....I'm heading into year 4 with my MC25, its freaking nuts. Volume has never been an issue with a loud drummer or bass player in the mix (3 piece). This aint your normal 25 watt amp, it ate my old Bogner 50 watt Helios in every category. I'm getting involved with a new band and had first rehearsal with them last week, (2 guitars). Hard hitting drummer, we were loud, chunky massive rhythms are no problem, lead tones crushed it. I never got close to really opening it up volume wise. Felt bad for the other guitar player, he realized his amp wasn't in the same league as the Wizard and immediately started plotting...

My only other hands on experience with a Wizard was JDubs original NMV 100 watter. Way over the top but the light went off in my head. Space is at a premium for me as well as the moving of gear so the small format MC25 on a vert 2x12 cab takes care of that beautifully. If Rick would make a 50 watter in the MC25 head size I would jump on it becasue too much power is generally better than not enough.... I've used the MC25 weekly for years now in a loud band format and feel pretty comfortable with what it can / can't do. Especially now with a 2nd guitar player. My only concern with the higher power heads is the potential overkill factor and what you can reasonably use all the horsepower for....lots of valid stuff being pointed out here will work killer at home or alone, but has to be dialed back in the band to not step all over everybody, and these amps will OWN the sonic airspace. If you can use the big heads and take advantage of all they offer I say that's a no brainer....if space or lack of need for horsepower is an issue, go with the MC25. This is a win situation either way you look at it.

Rick actually talked me into the 25
Awesome, congrats on the incoming! . I had rehearsal #2 last night with the band I mentioned above and the MC25 simply crushed it. That amp sounds so ridiculously good, no pedals, no nothin'......I would also consider looking into Mather Cabs for a vertical 2x12 like mine, perfect match all the way around. Re 2x12's, I'll never go back to a horizontal 2x12 format. I also have a matching Wizard piggyback 1x12 that's very cool but the bigger cab is the goods and it looks Sexy AF :ROFLMAO:

Back