Monomyth modded origin50

Monomyth

Hey guys, I've had a couple of free days waiting for faceplates and other build items so I tore into an origin 50 head I've had here, my buddy Jason T (burger) had made a great youtube video with tutorial on how to turn these into a 800 style circuit, I ended up pulling the tilt control and repurposing it as a second gain control / do my thing , after I had the circuit I spent a day tweaking other parts etc, I made an unlisted video for my friends to see, I was pretty impressed and something I might offer in the future. Cheers.

Shea are you waiting on parts for ground up builds of your own amp line ? Heard some rumors and was wondering if that is true.

Hey guys, I've had a couple of free days waiting for faceplates and other build items so I tore into an origin 50 head I've had here, my buddy Jason T (burger) had made a great youtube video with tutorial on how to turn these into a 800 style circuit, I ended up pulling the tilt control and repurposing it as a second gain control / do my thing , after I had the circuit I spent a day tweaking other parts etc, I made an unlisted video for my friends to see, I was pretty impressed and something I might offer in the future. Cheers.

Did you add any op-amps or diodes to the circuit ?
An extra 12AX7 ?
Where's all the gain coming from ?

Haha I warned you man. There is going to be a shortage of Origin heads and your inbox is gonna be full.

Hey I'm hoping to start on Jason's MTL board this week. I may hit you up after I figure out my Iron situation

This sounds terrible. Let me help you out...send the amp to me for proper disposal.

If you start modding these origin amps, look into having a custom faceplate sticker that you can easily apply. Would give it a nice custom look likely for only a few dollars of cost. Id rather see your name on it that the origin name. haha

Really great sounding! Well done! Hope you offer something like this up! Amazing sounding!

Impressive, not sure why Marshall wont just build something like this out of the box. Great job!!
You know they really should. Idk what it is but I think some of the larger companies just cant wrap their head around the modern tone evolution. I know they've done the KK, and with some boost the Jcm800 and whatever else they have but they should really unleash a line of beasts like this into the wild.

Shea are you waiting on parts for ground up builds of your own amp line ? Heard some rumors and was wondering if that is true

Yeah man, its true! I'm doing amps full-time now and I've started building, still waiting for some key parts and website should be live very soon.

-Thanks for the origin love everyone, I wanted to post this more for the diy crowd, these amps can do it, and they're cheap which is fun, they're still a lot of work and you need to test circuit continuity, my 50 was slightly different than Jasons 20 in the video, I've sent some of you a Pm, i might have time to do a couple of these.

You know they really should. Idk what it is but I think some of the larger companies just cant wrap their head around the modern tone evolution. I know they've done the KK, and with some boost the Jcm800 and whatever else they have but they should really unleash a line of beasts like this into the wild.
I think Marshall tried to release modern amps in the 90's and 80's, but they were always coming out after the trend had pass i.e. the JCM900, or just didn't do what independent builders could do. My idea was always for them to hire a famous modder and work with them to design something production wise, but many companies have tried that and it didn't always work out. I always thought it would be awesome if Marshall hired someone like Shea to come in work on a Plexi or JCM800 platform amp and release it as a high end, but low number boutique style run. Very rarely is that done right , but I think Marshall could do it.

You know it is weird that so many companies were started due to Marshalls unwillingness to hot rod their own amps. I mean I'm thankful cause if they would have done this we wouldnt have some of the awesome flavors we have now. And I dont get why it cost around 3k for a JCM800 reissue in the U.S.

But now that you mention it, them hiring modders to design a range of amps would have been genius. Imagine if they alternated years? Like one year of Monomyth Marshall's, one year of Splawn, one of Friedman, Fortin, whoever. They would rake in the dough

On a side note I will never understand how Peavey went to having several interesting amps like the VTM, JSX, etc to just different sizes of the 6505 and the Invective.

Imho they should have continued down the VTM path with one product line and one product line of 6505 variants.

Back