George Lynch WTF?

Someone from sweetwater or someone should have cut the power mid song, I might ask why that didn’t happen in one of the multiple daily calls or emails I get from them, like wtf

The gain level is fine to me... he just doesn't pull of the jeff beck thing very well... He sounds best when he works out a solo within the context of a song.
That's true too. He sort of has a set template of chord progressions or things that he solos well over. Things that have a tempo that groove or that are familiar. Doesn't always do so well on the improv side covering other people's music. I often wonder if that was the issue with Ozzy as well. He was on fire back then and an incredible player but this sort of spazzy playing didn't really work over the sort of straight ahead and minor lick style Randy was known for.

Father Time always wins. I remember seeing that Jake video where he had to improv on That Metal Show and he wasn’t very good. Everyone has an off night..especially when you are at his age.

Well, the 1st thing I heard was after the intial start of the song, the entire vibe dropped out between the band and George.
That's where a beast like EVH fills that gap.
Just one of them bad match-ups & the wrong song at the wrong moment.
I'd like to get on that goldtop though!
To be fair, when EVH jammed on other people's music he also just did his set tapping, squealies, and dive bomb licks. Maybe we just expect too much from these guys. Same with Demartinni.. terrible in Whitesnake when he subbed in but amazing in the context of RATT. Not a lot of guys can cover all the genres like Gilbert or Guthrie etc...

I would like to hear his Ozzy audition because I just never could see that working.

I think that too... but I just looked this up and actually, not as bad as I thought. It could have been interesting if he stuck to the script every night and didn't just go off the rails. Way better than Gillis.

Looked to me like he was just having fun at an impromptu jam. No vocals, so he’s just jazzin it up a little bit. It’s a different take on the song and I’m good with that.

Ya, the more I think about it, if George had been invited to play he would have brought his own gear.
Definitely impromptu and probably not something he expected blowing up on YT. Or at least here.

To be fair, when EVH jammed on other people's music he also just did his set tapping, squealies, and dive bomb licks. Maybe we just expect too much from these guys. Same with Demartinni.. terrible in Whitesnake when he subbed in but amazing in the context of RATT. Not a lot of guys can cover all the genres like Gilbert or Guthrie etc...
Actually its the same with any guitar player, they know what they know. A band unknown or huge is the same/ they have a set of songs they know wrote or learned. The biggest challenge is/ was keeping it together over personalities, imo. Some got lucky in the biz, most didnt.

The fact that he was improvising was cool, but there was no cohesion. For whatever reason, it seems like he just wasn't into it. I'd have to hear the entire show the gain insight as to what was going on. Was the entire show played like this or just this one number?

The funny thing is, George has been like this for more of his career than the brief period you are all yearning for. THIS is George Lynch

I used to think that just playing with a band was enough fretboard time to maintain a skill level. But whenever my bands stagnated and stopped learning new material and rehearsing regularly we got sloppy and just worse all the way around and my playing did too. Kind of makes you appreciate guys like Gilbert that are still getting it done at their age.

I liked the guitar...it was the best part!

Improv for sure but it seems like the drummer was having a very hard time following George. Kind of hard to play such a know and iconic song and then the have the guitarist pull a complete improv of the song that was all over the place and didn't follow anything.

I look at guys like Nuno, Yngwie, all the Shrapnel guys, Dweezil, Blues Saraceno, etc, and granted most of those guys are younger by a few years, but they all have their chops intact. Lynch just doesn’t seem to have it anymore.

Nothing wrong with Furious George's performance there unless one is expecting classic George.

I think he's on an overall exploratory guitar mission after all of the decades of Aqua Net and fingertip blisters.

I thought this was one of those videos where they replace the real audio with funny noises like that BB King Shred video for a moment

I have no right to dog on GL, but that sounded like a high school talent show. I get the improv thing, but GL back in the day would have been able to pull this off. He has been thru some style changes and I get he wants to mix it up, or possibly hes bored of his older licks... but at least try bending the notes of the chord to give it an attempt to sound in tune.

The last few jams I've heard from him it sounds like he is practicing his technique onstage instead of at home. Very odd.

Back