More Fortin silliness...

If you guys remember Laura’s Uber or Recto that were Fortin mids, they weee some of the sickest sounding amps ever.
I've heard both of those amps in the room and honestly was not impressed with either. Not saying that they sounded bad by any means just not anything special to my ears.

The whole thing with Mike and Larry sounds like nothing more than sour grapes to me. Mike copied Larry's designs, except that Mike's stuff doesn't sound like Larry's? Uh, okay. So they're different then? So Mike's not trying to pass his amps off as Larry's, and he's not copying the tones? He took another builders ideas and did something different with them? You mean like almost every other amp builder on the planet?

Your ideas are YOUR ideas...until you give them to the rest of the world, which is what Larry did. He may have done so inadvertently, and Fortin may have taken advantage of this opportunistically, but it sounds like that's all. I don't recall any mention of NDA or patents, or any other IP protections. When you buy a CD, you own the CD, but you don't own the song, because of copyrights. When you buy an amp, you own the amp, except any portions that are owned by the designer (patents, trademarks). Larry didn't assert ownership of his ideas when he handed them out or when he sold them. Sorry fellas, in the world of business, none of that is implied, and that's nothing new.

Yeah, life's not fair. That's really what all the crying boils down to, right? There was nothing illegal done as near as I can tell from what I've read. Maybe unscrupulous, unethical, whatever. Welcome to the world of cutthroat capitalism. It's dog eat dog, and most consumers don't care. Taking a couple of business courses over at the "annex" can save someone a world of headaches.

The whole thing with Mike and Larry sounds like nothing more than sour grapes to me. Mike copied Larry's designs, except that Mike's stuff doesn't sound like Larry's? Uh, okay. So they're different then? So Mike's not trying to pass his amps off as Larry's, and he's not copying the tones? He took another builders ideas and did something different with them? You mean like almost every other amp builder on the planet?

Your ideas are YOUR ideas...until you give them to the rest of the world, which is what Larry did. He may have done so inadvertently, and Fortin may have taken advantage of this opportunistically, but it sounds like that's all. I don't recall any mention of NDA or patents, or any other IP protections. When you buy a CD, you own the CD, but you don't own the song, because of copyrights. When you buy an amp, you own the amp, except any portions that are owned by the designer (patents, trademarks). Larry didn't assert ownership of his ideas when he handed them out or when he sold them. Sorry fellas, in the world of business, none of that is implied, and that's nothing new.

Yeah, life's not fair. That's really what all the crying boils down to, right? There was nothing illegal done as near as I can tell from what I've read. Maybe unscrupulous, unethical, whatever. Welcome to the world of cutthroat capitalism. It's dog eat dog, and most consumers don't care. Taking a couple of business courses over at the "annex" can save someone a world of headaches.
Once again, Yep. The banality of evil can be a persuasive fallacy.

The industry is all borrowed and copied designs. Using just one example of this is Mesa Boogie directly copying, among many other amp manufacturers from the Soldano SLO circuit. Think about how much money Mesa Boogie made from a circuit that they copied. And yet we still go proudly buy that $3k piece of gear from them.
Find me someone who owns a rectifier and an SLO and thinks they sound even remotely the same... I’ll wait... because im one of them... and they aren’t even in the same ballpark.

The only reason we are even talking about Larry amps vs fortin, is because Larry brought it up and is under the assumption he stole his designs... if that’s the case, fair enough. That’s one situation in and of itself, my point of view is that his amps simply sound ungodly terrible and no one is actually making records with them. It just makes it more hillarious to me that they don’t even sound like the amps he copied. That’s even more ammo against the guy in my opinion. Because take that equation out of it, if they were “original” designs and sounded that terrible, then fine, try something new. But he’s made his platform on copying others designs and sound terrible. Yes I’m aware this is an opinion... but im
Also right.... bring on the flames.

Also, the recto and SLO couldn’t sound farther away from each other. I couldn’t get rid of my SLO fast enough. My new SLO with the depth knob had less usable low end than a gorilla amp. Flame away.

Back