George Lynch WTF?

George can definitely still play... but it is what he is CHOOSING to play. His phrasing and timing are very much experimental when he's live and it can be a bit of a mess if it is not a Dokken or LynchMob tune. Listen to his studio solos, they are still plenty good. The difference is they have direction and are probably the result of 20 takes. My only gripe is that the older he gets, he should play with the gain necessary for his style, a pick, and stick to what you know. His style doesn't work jamming over mainstream stuff.

I thought George and Eddie were the same age (if Ed was still alive)? Both born in 1954 no?

This was 5 years ago. Ignore Dave.

That is the most recent one I could find. I liked George too, but like someone else said; when he has to improvise something else he kind of falls down. And yeah - age affects everyone differently.

In his 80s. :oops:

For classical guitar Manuel Barrueco and David Russell are both getting close to 70 and sound as good to me as they ever have and with more musical maturity than when they were younger. Guitar technique has come a long way since Segovia's time. Seems to me though like most classical players don't maintain as good dexterity or agility after a certain age, but Russell and Barrueco seem to still have it

Manuel Barrueco

One of my top 5. There's a classic story about him:

He's teaching at some music conservatory class and the subject is memorization.
He's going on this long explanation of how he goes about remembering very long
and complex pieces. At some point he stops, pauses, and then sheepishly says:
"I've forgotten what I was going to say". :ROFLMAO:

Maybe 10 years ago wife & I saw Angel Romero perform Concierto de Aranjuez
at the San Diego concert hall.

Also was lucky enough to see DeLucia with DiMeola and McLaughlin from up close
at the old Boston Opera House. Jeez, that was forever ago.

Caught Strunz & Farrah out here too.

Last edited:
completely disagree, maybe they can't run all over stage like they used to but I know plenty of local guys in their 60's that still rip.
It's called practicing, do it once in a while and you can keep a good amount of your skill set.
I know people in their 60's who are actually better players now than they were 20 years ago. Unless you have real physical issue the age argument is BS.
Then they probably weren’t very good 20 years ago.
I get it, you can still maintain some of your chops as you age but the speed players are going to lose a bit; Father Time always wins. Show me someone, with clips back in the day 40 years ago that still rips it just like they did then at age 68-70.

^^Also, when you get to that age many health issues may start to affect you..arthritis being on.
Expecting, and then harshing on players who aren’t what they used to be, and blaming it on not woodshedding? Really?
None of you know what may/may not be happening to them physically.
Slow the roll dudes. Give him a break ffs.

Nothing wrong with what I just watched other than he's a bit out of tune.. He probably improved the whole thing. Probably not his guitar and he walked on cold.. I'm sure you all could do better.. LOL

You people are a bunch of keyboard brave, Youtube watching faggots..
You need a hug, man?

I started at 10. That's soon to be over 50 years ago.

First thing to go for me was memory and concentration.
At 17-18 I could play Rush's Hemispheres all the way through.
Ask me now to play a complete campfire song and I'd struggle.

Then consistency. Not having immediate muscle memory
means it's more instincts and emotions.
Some nights I can improvise really fucking good.
The next night I'm glad the audience is only me.

Impossible to just grab a guitar and be 'on' all the time.
Anyone watching and I could easily trip all over myself.

Last edited:
Well damn, wasn't that bad except the wierd ending!!!!

I thought it was pretty good. A tribute to Eddie at Sweetwater, for guitar players.

Thumbs up from me.

Then they probably weren’t very good 20 years ago.
I get it, you can still maintain some of your chops as you age but the speed players are going to lose a bit; Father Time always wins. Show me someone, with clips back in the day 40 years ago that still rips it just like they did then at age 68-70.
Truth: SRV was playing 9's before his passing.
He had insane arthritis in his hands.
This really surfaced after getting clean.
A luthier friend of mine worked on one of his guitars when he came thru here touring with Jeff Beck.

Last edited:
Sometimes when I hear George playing these days I'm like "This is the guy playing the solo at the beginning of Paris is Burning?"

Truth: SRV was playing 9's before his passing.
He had insane arthritis in his hands.
This really surfaced after getting clean.
A luthier friend of mine worked on one of his guitars when he came thru here touring with Jeff Beck.
I wonder if playing the heavy strings caused his arthritis. He was 35 when he died, kinda young to have arthritis isn't it?

I didn't say woodshedding, please don't take my words out of context , that clip of Lynch is hardly shredding, it's terrible.
and the guys I know that are still playing great in their 60's were very good players back in their 20's. look at some orchestral players
violinists etc. there are plenty of older classical players that can still rip it.
Physical ailments aside, I stand by what I said I've seen plenty of real life examples of older guys that still have it.
Joe Satriani is only 2 years younger than Lynch
Vai is 60, I've never seen any clips of those 2 sounding anywhere near as badly as Lynch sounds in this clip , and don't get me wrong I'm a big Lynch fan, but that is one jam he should've opted out of, whatever the reason

Last edited:
Back