What's the most you've spent on a piece of gear.

psychodave

Just curious as to what's the most you've spent on one single piece of gear that you kept. You don't have to say what it is if you don't want...

I personally have a very hard time spending a lot. The most I've ever spent was $2,999 on a guitar, but I ended up returning it. My 2016 Charvel Nitro was $2,800 new out the door. That is my most expensive purchase....even all of my Mark 2C+ and Cameron amp purchases were less. :yes:

TA Drop Top $4k. Runner up was when I bought a 2004 XTC 101B for $3200.00. Nothing else I've ever purchased comes remotely close. The funny thing is, while I love my TA, I usually seem to bond more with guitars in the 1-2K range. Upgrade as needed. I will say that it's my first guitar with stainless frets and that's all I want now. I do have my first Warmoth body in transit so I'm really curious to see how it will turn out.

Right around $2,000 for my Sound City head

That's probably about the absolute most I'd be willing to spend on a piece of gear

i scored a Fully loaded, stock, white tolexed, Boogie c+ long head with a matching metal grill 4x12 that was tagged at 2499 at gc one day, in 2014... i swipped it on a credit card, and when i decided to sell it, i got 3600 for both combined, so i made almost a grand on it, but i was still dumb as fuck for selling it it. that was pure luck. i walked into gc that day to buy strings, and they just had took it in, and had it tagged as a mark III. i had swore off flipping gear, and had a kemper.... and that fucking thing just dropped into my lap. unreal. should have kept it forever, but i'm cool with my mark IV.

Last edited:
I have 3 amps I spent between $4-5K for each. That's down from 6. lol

I have no problem dropping $ on amps...spending a lot on a guitar is tough for me. My R8 cost me about $3k and that's my most expensive guitar.

Just curious as to what's the most you've spent on one single piece of gear that you kept. You don't have to say what it is if you don't want...

I personally have a very hard time spending a lot. The most I've ever spent was $2,999 on a guitar, but I ended up returning it. My 2016 Charvel Nitro was $2,800 new out the door. That is my most expensive purchase....even all of my Mark 2C+ and Cameron amp purchases were less. :yes:
Don’t you have a real deal 68 plexi? A guy over on TGP sold his on reverb for $9,500 this year. I offered the dude $4750 and he turned it down with a snark remark to go along with it.

Don’t you have a real deal 68 plexi? A guy over on TGP sold his on reverb for $9,500 this year. I offered the dude $4750 and he turned it down with a snark remark to go along with it.
Yeah, I have a 67 plexi. Keep in mind I bought it in 1990. I paid a grand for it. :LOL: I'd sell it for $9,500 in a second. :hys: My serial number is a few hundred below his...

Edit. I still have an original cover for it as well as an original 60’s speaker cable. I have an original 70’s speaker cable as well. They are both pretty thin in gauge.

Just took a pic of the gauge. Notice the jack is held on with a simple screw.
1626385021222.jpeg

Last edited:
The markets hot right now so if you’re considering it by all means list it on eBay with a reserve. At least the fees total out to be less than reverb’s 😂

My 51 Esquire was my most expensive guitar when I bought it. I've paid $3500 for it.
A few years later I bought my, by then, most expensive guitar, for $10K, and that was my 56 Strat.
My most expensive amp was my 65 JTM45, for $5k.
Then, I've got three amps modded by Dumble, these were modded for myself, that were quite expensive too. One of them, for a bit more than the JTM45, and both the two other mods for way less than the JTM45.
For all of these, most everyone told me I was either insane or stupid, for spending that much money on a piece of gear.
I still have all of these, and I guess I didn't do bad at all with buying and keeping them.
Best playing, best sounding and best investment I ever done in my life.

2500.00 on a 30th ann. LNG JEM. I'm not fond of spending this much dough and I usually trade up with cash if possible.

Attachments

• P4290015.JPG
    P4290015.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • P4290024.JPG
    P4290024.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • P4290017.JPG
    P4290017.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
a couple gibson les pauls. one is a true historic '59 and the other is a '58 true historic collectors choice. both guitars were bought brand new and definitely had to be financed because they were stupid expensive.

Most expensive single piece of gear was well under $3k. Lots of nice, ‘higher-end’ amps bought and sold in the $2,500.00 range: Bogners, Mesas, a Bray, etc. Nothing north of $3k though. My guitars are largely used Warmoth and Musikraft bodies and necks that I have slapped together along the way.

Somebody had too much money cause a 69 is not worth that. People that sell things for too much must like looking at them. like whoever had the egnator modded jcm 800 for sale at 3k WTF

I got 13 marshalls and cabs all 73 and down except for a 79 mv. Purchased all before 85 except 66 super pa head in 89 paid 750 for that one.all the rest $400 or less. Bought Trussart Steel Paul before gibson came down on James 2k Most Ive ever spent. Got a1973 Black custom purchased used in 80 $475.

Back