Clanky D string with late '80s OFR

SpiderWars

I mentioned this in the "Floyd Rose Fatigue" thread but only now got around to recording it. This is an original late 80's Floyd still mounted on it's original Kramer Focus 3000 body. It makes this metallic clanky noise when you hit the D string hard. In the video it does it pretty good once I hit it hard, then nothing on the A string, then its only on the last few strokes where it does it again.

It does it worse on hard upstrokes but I only did downstrokes in the video.
It is actually easier to hear plugged in.
There is a slight, very short duration 'ring' to this metallic clank.
I've swapped the nut, no change. I can actually get this to happen on fretted notes just way harder to consistently replicate.
I tried wedging folded paper in the gaps between the adjacent saddles and if anything it got worse.

I have a new OFR in beautiful black nickel waiting on body paint for my Star build so I could try it but it still wouldn't tell me how to fix the old one. Any help appreciated.

I am betting on it being the nut. The string is vibrating in the v groove of the nut. Take off the clamp for d string on nut and pinch it down right at the edge of groove where the clamp can't reach while playing your open d. Listen as you put pressure at that spot to see if it goes away.
If it goes away, then put some crazy glue there and file so that the groove sits slightly higher.
Check the string retainer is low enough also to angle more tension in nut.

If the actions in the post above don't solve this, there are a couple of things I would try to see if you can isolate what is causing this. The first is I would raise the action with the trem posts a full turn on each side and see if it goes away. We are trying to see if the note is pinging off a fret because the nut is too low. Also, I told you to wedge paper in between the saddles to see if that stops it. There can be a lot of strange noises coming from saddles that are just barely touching each other enough to buzz against each other in sympathy with the vibration. If wedging paper didn't isolate this, I would try one more experiment. Take your left hand and reach over your right hand while it is picking the note. With your left hand reach back to the bridge and push the long locking screw of the D saddle towards the G string saddle or the A string saddle so it pushes the D saddle strongly against the other saddle so there is no chance they will buzz from just lightly touching each other.

I am betting on it being the nut. The string is vibrating in the v groove of the nut. Take off the clamp for d string on nut and pinch it down right at the edge of groove where the clamp can't reach while playing your open d. Listen as you put pressure at that spot to see if it goes away.
If it goes away, then put some crazy glue there and file so that the groove sits slightly higher.
Check the string retainer is low enough also to angle more tension in nut.
This was certainly my first thought. I tried to isolate the noise but I can't. But as mentioned above I can get this to happen on fretted notes and replacing the nut made no difference. I tried filing the original nut before replacing it. I think the retainer is right, it stays pretty much perfect when I clamp the strings.

If the actions in the post above don't solve this, there are a couple of things I would try to see if you can isolate what is causing this. The first is I would raise the action with the trem posts a full turn on each side and see if it goes away. We are trying to see if the note is pinging off a fret because the nut is too low. Also, I told you to wedge paper in between the saddles to see if that stops it. There can be a lot of strange noises coming from saddles that are just barely touching each other enough to buzz against each other in sympathy with the vibration. If wedging paper didn't isolate this, I would try one more experiment. Take your left hand and reach over your right hand while it is picking the note. With your left hand reach back to the bridge and push the long locking screw of the D saddle towards the G string saddle or the A string saddle so it pushes the D saddle strongly against the other saddle so there is no chance they will buzz from just lightly touching each other.
I did suspect this and raised the action a bit but I will go further. As mentioned above I did try the paper wedged between the saddles and if anything it got worse. There is a visible gap on both sides and I had tried damping it with my hand but paper works better.

I think this might actually be pinging off of a fret. It's just a new noise that I have not heard like this before. This neck has never had much available relief, the truss rod is turned just enough to not rattle and there is zero relief using 9.5 gage strings tuned to Eb. But it doesn't play particularly sandy anywhere, it plays quite clean and good so I never worried much about it.

Thanks for help, much appreciated.

It's common to get weird notes with a Floyd. First start with the clamps. Switch them around. If that isn't it I try filing the bottom of the nut slightly in the groove,. If that doesn't work run a file over the curved part of the saddle where the string clamps. If these don't work, I replace the nut or rarely a saddle. That always fixes it. When you clamp your nut down fret across all strings at the first fret before you tighten and never tighten too much. If it's a fret you should be able to track it down. Try a fret rocker also to see if you have a high fret. Also use your palm and hand after loosening the truss rod a little by pressing on the neck at first fret area and base of neck where it meets body.

Last edited:
Since the g string has the most tension, it will cause resonance on other parts quicker than other strings. I don’t thing it’s bridge related. I would get some masking tape or foam to secure the bridge PU or and other loose parts like ploys springs etc to see it’d that’s the culprit. Could even be a loose truss rod

I had the same problem on one of my guitars recently. Wasn't the action, wasn't the nut, wasn't the relief on the neck but of all things it was actually the neck pickup was too high and even though it wasn't hitting or engaged the neck pickups magnets created that sound when the D string was hit. Actually on mine the A and D string sounded that way. I simply lowered the neck pickup and the problem went away.

I had the same problem on one of my guitars recently. Wasn't the action, wasn't the nut, wasn't the relief on the neck but of all things it was actually the neck pickup was too high and even though it wasn't hitting or engaged the neck pickups magnets created that sound when the D string was hit. Actually on mine the A and D string sounded that way. I simply lowered the neck pickup and the problem went away.
I was just going to say if it's not the nut, it could be the height of neck pickup is too high. The string is definitely slightly touching something that it's not supposed to to produce that noise. But for sure you need to check all frets with a fret rocker to see if there is a high fret somewhere.

You said it still happens with fretted notes so that eliminates the nut being too high, low or worn etc. Check your frets and then pick up height.

I build relic super Strat's with Floyds on the side as a hobby. I have run into every sort of buzzing/fretting/anomaly/gremlin known to mankind with the builds I do. I found with Strat style guitars these make the most noise on the B and mostly the D when just hitting open chords. Usually this is the nut being too high when the noise is an open chord and no fretting. When fretting it is usually a high fret or the action/relief being off. When building guitars they either just go together perfectly and need little tweaking or they require a few days of fiddling with on/off to get the balance right between the action and relief.

Seeing that his guitar is a factory Kramer build, it looks like his neck pickups are too high. If not, I would like other said raise the Floyd a turn and see if that helps if not maybe add in some neck relief as the neck might have bowed out with age/temps changing as with compound radius necks the D is so close as it is due to the neck curve.

strats 1 (2).jpg

Seeing that his guitar is a factory Kramer build, it looks like his neck pickups are too high. If not, I would like other said raise the Floyd a turn and see if that helps if not maybe add in some neck relief as the neck might have bowed out with age/temps changing as with compound radius necks the D is so close as it is due to the neck curve.
Its not factory. It is a Musikraft neck. I bought it new in '87-'88 and re-necked it a few years ago. There is no relief to be had except increasing string gage or tuning, the truss rod is just barely snug so it won't rattle.

These pickups are all new but it did this before the swap. Its not hitting a pickup. Thanks for trying tho. I've only built maybe 6-8 partscasters so still very green.

I build relic super Strat's with Floyds on the side as a hobby. I have run into every sort of buzzing/fretting/anomaly/gremlin known to mankind with the builds I do. I found with Strat style guitars these make the most noise on the B and mostly the D when just hitting open chords. Usually this is the nut being too high when the noise is an open chord and no fretting. When fretting it is usually a high fret or the action/relief being off. When building guitars they either just go together perfectly and need little tweaking or they require a few days of fiddling with on/off to get the balance right between the action and relief.

View attachment 84698
RM5153 those are some sweet looking guitars! I am a super strat guy! All mine are fender headstock or banana!

Its not factory. It is a Musikraft neck. I bought it new in '87-'88 and re-necked it a few years ago. There is no relief to be had except increasing string gage or tuning, the truss rod is just barely snug so it won't rattle.

These pickups are all new but it did this before the swap. Its not hitting a pickup. Thanks for trying tho. I've only built maybe 6-8 partscasters so still very green.
If it's not hitting the neck pickup......my next guess is your neck is slightly back bowed or twisted. I have a musikraft neck and it also won't give much relief and truss rod is not very tight.....just tight enough not to rattle. It has like. 002 relief at 8th fret with 10's and I am not going up to 11's lol

I have found sometimes having too much relief causes problems similar to having not enough relief.
It's a rabbits hole at times where there is a sweet spot and if you are plus or minus from that sweet spot zone then you are in the taint each way.....lol
Good luck.

RM5153 those are some sweet looking guitars! I am a super strat guy! All mine are fender headstock or banana!
Thank you. My latest build which I am still working on is very close to the following Luxxtone but with my spin on it. Just need the neck pickup to
be delivered and it will be complete. Pretty much identical except I went with more distressing.

luxxtone.jpg

Thank you. My latest build which I am still working on is very close to the following Luxxtone but with my spin on it. Just need the neck pickup to
be delivered and it will be complete. Pretty much identical except I went with more distressing.

View attachment 84725
I will be keeping my eye on the classified section hoping one day you sell some!

^ That is what I should build. I'm not a relic guy so I build all mine to be perfect. It is not easy to complete a build with zero scratches/dings/imperfections, especially with nitro. I mean, I know exactly where every imperfection is and my eyes go right to it. :loco:

Sounds like it is hitting a fret. You can go ghetto and fold up a flat little piece of aluminum foil to wedge under that particular saddle if you'd rather not raise the action of the whole trem

View attachment 84698
Love the reverse single iron cross!

^ That is what I should build. I'm not a relic guy so I build all mine to be perfect. It is not easy to complete a build with zero scratches/dings/imperfections, especially with nitro. I mean, I know exactly where every imperfection is and my eyes go right to it. :loco:
I get it. All my real nice factory guitars, I am always nervous with and that is why I sold off most of those. As you can tell I love the relic look so if it takes a hit, it just adds to the character.

Love the reverse single iron cross!
Thank you. Had some bodies and parts laying around and just threw that together. Then I just scour the web for inexpensive strat bodies and Floyd Rose necks and go to town. All have real Floyds and good pickups, either Friedman or Duncan. The rest who cares what type of tuners are on a Floyd equipped guitar. At most in parts for a typical build I have between $400 and $500 in parts. I may have 10 hours tops in each to build so I simply cannot see these guys paying $5k for a relic Fender new or the Wildwood Fenders with Floyds. Simply mind boggling. Just sold my super distressed Friedman Cali this weekend which was amazing but my builds play, sound and feel pretty darn close for not being Plek'd and having necks/bodies and all high end parts going into them.

Back