Wizard MCII vs Morris Perplex'd

I've had the Morris S3 and a 100 watt MCII as well as a KT75 MCII. The wizards are very different amps from the Morris. I would consider the Morris more in the BE100 quadrant of the tone galaxy than the Wizard. The Wizard is unique in how open and punchy it is. The Morris is more of an idealized Marshall style. The Morris is easier to solo on and has some more squish. The Wizard is dryer brighter. I thought both were great amps. Both were exceptionally well built.

Also meant to ask how the boost works on Wizards. Does it add both volume and gain? If so, is there any way to adjust either or is it preset?
i missed this earlier. I have a 3 way switch on mine. up is gain boost to tighten with low end thickness. Palm mutes are very bassy and strong. Center is no boost. Down is like a clean boost, kind of. Has more of the tight palm mutes with it. Both are great depending on how you dial. But the sweet spot is when you boost the amp additionally to gain a little saturation and that uppermid push...

Attachments

• wizard.jpg
    wizard.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 55
I prefer to run both my MCT and MTL just to the point of grinding gain. And then using an external boost to add the saturation needed for solos. I don't like to run the added gain of the boost stage and would prefer to use an external boost instead. I find that wizards in general don't like the typical volume boost but respond better with a clipping circuit run at moderate volume. I find that if you run too much added volume in the preamp to boost it it mushes out way too much

The perplexed might be the single greatest amp I have owned. It’s like a Plexi with options and not straying too much it has a really perfect feel

The perplexed might be the single greatest amp I have owned. It’s like a Plexi with options and not straying too much it has a really perfect feel

I'm wondering if LP Freak's Perplex'd was running right? I've read his Morris opinion before, and really don't find any other reviews like his. I've loved the Morris clips for years, but I know better than to listen to clips to form any opinion... . Anyway, LP Freak, I value negative reviews definitely as much as positive ones. . Did others have bad experiences with current Morris's? Eric

Last edited:
Not many amps are in the same class IMHO...at least for my tastes.
The Morris I had was terrible, not even in the same class as a Wizard

I tried the Morris a few years back, A/B’d with Wizard when I had my 2016 MTL to compare and the owner of the Morris just kind of smiled and said “well, they’re really different”… I didn’t want to embarrass him, I just agreed and said “yes they are really different”… 😉
There was no contest at all.
I don’t often say this because tone is subjective but I cannot think of anyone who would’ve been in that room that would’ve thought it wasn’t completely laughable, not even close.
And I’m not talking just high gain tones, I’m talking everything in between, the whole ball game.
Now, (in my opinion) The Morris is a great ‘plexi sounding’ Amplifier but it’s just very, very different from the Wizard, I wouldn’t say it’s bad, if you didn’t have an amplifier like a Wizard to compare it to, you would think it’s fantastic, in fact👍
But Also to consider is a huge price difference.

Last edited:
I tried the Morris a few years back, A/B’d with Wizard when I had my 2016 MTL to compare and the owner of the Morris just kind of smiled and said “well, they’re really different”… I didn’t want to embarrass him, I just agreed and said “yes they are really different”… 😉
I don’t often say this because tone is subjective but I cannot think of anyone who would’ve been in that room that would’ve thought it wasn’t completely laughable, not even close.
And I’m not talking just high gain tones, I’m talking everything in between, the whole ball game.
Now, (in my opinion) The Morris is a great ‘plexi sounding’ Amplifier but it’s just very, very different from the Wizard, I wouldn’t say it’s bad, if you didn’t have an amplifier like a Wizard to compare it to, you would think it’s fantastic, in fact👍
AB comparisons can be very revealing/embarrassing sometimes. I don’t form opinions on gear without them (part of why I also never have honeymoon phases with gear). I’ve not tried a Morris, but I definitely heard a more filtered/flat/less organic sound in the clip where it was AB’ed with an old Marshall Superlead, but same can be said about the Metroplex (sold mine fast) and lotta other amps. Still kept my 2016 MTL for 4 years now

The Wizard you had was 100 watts (??) vs an older Perplex'd that I think was about 40 watts? Plus, they are totally different amps to begin with, as you stated. The Perplex'd is more straight up vintage Marshall and is not going to sound very similar to the MTL. I always prefer an amp that is going to give me more of a vintage vibe in terms of tone and feel, so I would gravitate more toward the Morris. But that's just personal preference. If the OP is looking at an MC II vs a Morris, I would not be looking at a Perplex'd; I would be directing my attention toward a Morris XSIII or the Sirrom.

Damn, I have literally 2 dozen amps, many great ones, but I'm still totally envious of you guys having Wizards and Morris's in the same room. . I hope I can try either, as I know I'm not going to buy one without trying , especially after reading some of these posts.. . Anyone within 3-4 hours of VERMONT, wanna invite me over? :) Love this thread.. Eric

The clarification of you own views and perspectives makes this a good and informative ready that is fair and genuine. I really love the Morris, maybe my favorite non Marshall Plexi amp. However like you said, they are different. The Wizard does a lot more, but can still completely do the classic style thing. I have to agree, if money were not part of the equation I would take the Wizard. If you just wanted the Plexi sound and a less expensive price that will absolutely nail that sound profile, the Morris will do it. If you want that plus extended spectrum and an amp that is just all around killer, the Wizard takes it.

Actually, in my opinion, the Wizard MCII would even be more of a landslide winner than the MTL in an A/B comparison with the Perplex'd as the MCII is closer to that ‘upper-mids flavoured kerrrang’ territory.

Now, I’m not at all trying to knock the
Morris. It’s a great Plexi-ish head, it just is NOT in the same league as a Wizard…

Actually, in my opinion, the Wizard MCII would even be more of a landslide winner than the MTL in an A/B comparison with the Perplex'd as the MCII is closer to that ‘upper-mids flavoured kerrrang’ territory.

Morris. It’s a great Plexi-ish head, it just is NOT in the same league as a Wizard…
Oh ohh you said it now ;) LOL them be fighting words! J/K

Hey, we all have our preferences, and it's great that people are passionate about the amps they like, but "landslide winner"? "Not in the same league" ? Based on what criteria? Not everyone is looking for the same things from their amps, so how could there be a winner? I like the clarity and definition of Wizards, but to my ears, the Morris amps have warmer, sweeter tones that provide more of what I would consider to be vintage vibes. So, it really comes down to what the OP is looking to get out of his amp and what his tastes are.

Hey, we all have our preferences, and it's great that people are passionate about the amps they like, but "landslide winner"? "Not in the same league" ? Based on what criteria? Not everyone is looking for the same things from their amps, so how could there be a winner? I like the clarity and definition of Wizards, but to my ears, the Morris amps have warmer, sweeter tones that provide more of what I would consider to be vintage vibes. So, it really comes down to what the OP is looking to get out of his amp and what his tastes are.
There is really only one solution. Someone needs to bring a morris and a Plexi to my house. I will play them both with my wizard and declare the winner. I think you will find that in this way, Everyone wins.

One realization I've had, is that if you are looking at a NMV amp buy one WITHOUT a master like the amp was intended. I've tried SOO many early/mid 70s Marshalls and they were meh to me; but they all had that added master..my 72 Tremolo is the first one totally stock...and it is goddamn incredible tone that shits on EVERYTHING I've ever owned, modded Marshall or Wizard or whatever. Those others are also great but in the room, that 72 is the voice of GOD if he owned an amp. If you like or value a good Marshall tone I'd highly recommend looking at a bone stock NMV Marshall, vintage or newer...if you can handle the extreme volume the reward is amazing.
This but also Trainwrecks … 👍🤘

I’ve never played or heard a Wizard in my life. But I’ve owned almost all of Glen’s models at some time or another. All of them were great but I narrowed them down to find the best one for me…….satisfying and painless to do when you get the best customer service ever.

Based on YouTube clips, you need to be comparing the Wizard stuff to the Morris XSIII. That is the only one I still own. It is like a Marshall/Hiwatt/Fryette mashup that can pretty much do anything I want with the dual gain pots. Sounds great at any volume. I will never get rid of this amp. I recently had to sell of my Morris 69/70’ due to some unexpected bills, but that was also an incredible head.

One thing about Morris amps is that they really show the difference in subtleties like guitar wood, pickups, tubes, etc. So I could easily see why someone might have a bad experience.

I’ve owned two Morris Perplex’d amps, and six Wizards. An early, VC100, an MCII 50, MCII 100, MTL 100, and currently own the MCII 150 and the MC25. For me Wizards have much more of the fundamental in the note, and Morris seems hollow by comparison. The Wizard rhythm tone just does it for me. A Perplex’d with a good boost is a seriously amazing lead tone. The controlled feedback and the way feels and sounds like the amp could blow, but it just holds together, is awesome. A Wizard by comparison stays way more composed at all times. I prefer the Wizard in every way except that boosted lead tone. But I have yet to experience any amp come anywhere close to a Wizard in a mix. The Morris disappeared by comparison, but was easier to play in its own.

Back