Fractal FM3 Thread , tips to rock ! ? @

With modeling gear, if you're going FRFR, make sure to find some IR's you really love, because with high gain sounds, the cab (IR) is the most sonically influential element in the chain. You will probably dislike the vast majority of cabs you try, only liking a handful of them. That's totally normal. Don't be afraid to blend IR's you do like.

Also, just advice in general, EQ does wonders. Don't be afraid to put EQ blocks both before and after the amp block to experiment with what you can get out of a model. The right boosts and cuts can make all the difference.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips , this has been great. So as far as stock IRs that come loaded in the FM3 .....What are some favorites you guys use ?

Thanks for all the tips , this has been great. So as far as stock IRs that come loaded in the FM3 .....What are some favorites you guys use ?
There are some great sounding stock IRs, I just don't have the patience to wade through 2,000+ of them to find ones I like. With the factory cabs I'd go down the rabbit hole of auditioning them endlessly instead of playing or building patches. I highly recommend checking out York Audio's IR packs. They come with a folder of multi-mic mixes that are good to go with little to no high or low cuts. Scanning through a handful of great sounding IRs instead of thousands of hit or miss factory cabs keeps my OCD in check. I can almost always just grab one of the first few mixes and be happy. He has a $1 demo pack of a Mesa 2x12 with V30s if you don't want to drop $15 on a full pack.

I typically blend some form of Greenback Marshall 4x12 cab with a Vintage 30 Mesa Recto 4x12 cab. They seem to compliment each other really well.

If you need a more specific recommendation, with the Fractal stuff I usually start with Legacy Cab #103 - 4x12 BASKETWEAVE TV MIX. It's an old IR that works really well as a foundation, then I mix other cabs in with it. I think it's a great starting point.

Last edited:
... I'd go down the rabbit hole of auditioning them endlessly instead of playing or building patches...
I think that's exactly why I ended up liking Austin Buddy's presets if I'm not using a real cab. I obviously can't be trusted to just pick an IR and go, so I just let him do it :)

Another fm3 usar with power amp and cab. I'm still trying to get a good high gain tone. I haven't been able to spend a good amount of time with the unit. Leon and Cooper are a great source of information when it comes to fractal products. Cooper even has a masterclass you can download for the axe and fm3.

Attachments

• 20210731_100318.jpg
    20210731_100318.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 50
Just a quick question on this thread I have 2 Bogner Ecstasy 3534 1-12 cabs with the 65 creambacks what type of solid state amp will work great but won't break the bank? I'm not looking for the cheapest but I don't need the best. Thanks

Last edited:
Just a quick question on this thread I have 2 Bogner Ecstasy 3534 1-12 cabs with the 65 creambacks what type of solid state amp will work great but won't break the bank? I'm not looking for the cheapest but I don't need the best. Thanks

What's your budget and do you need stereo?

I'm going to run in stereo but I'm moving into a condo so I don't need to rattle walls. I'm going to have the 2 bogner cabinets with cream backs in them. I looked up the amp that psychodave is used is using it's $849 that's more than I want to spend. Best Bang for the buck I'll spend what I need to to make the 2 cabinets and speakers I have sound great.

Last edited:
I havent tried the pedal amps but these one space rack power amps are pretty good
carvin dcm 150
marshall valvestate 8008

Back