5150 newest version on pre-order

Beandust

So is this the green and red or green and blue? Definitely less expensive so maybe made in Chyna? Or Mexico? Has half the 12 ax7s as the 5153, maybe you can't hear it hiss from 2 streets over? Has built in gate tho.. damn, anyone had an opportunity to hear or play one? Definitely Has me wanting to grab one. Hate to say it , but I'm not exactly stoked about the builder. Whish it was the Jim Or Dave or Bob or Bill or Mike guy, hopefully everyone can identify with the 1st names only. Sorry I know I left out a ton

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210903-105321_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210903-105321_Chrome.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 52
I think these are made in China with a what's speculated as a FET solid state driver/phase inverter stage (hence so few preamp tubes). Beyond that, no one really knows.

Seems like EVH felt forced to do the release before it was actually ready (dealers maybe posted the preorders too soon) and there are not much details on the amp and zero demos other than apparently Wolfie is using it.

I'm stoked to hear em. It's James Brown's design so it's destined to fuck hard
True that! JB made the 1st or 2nd 5150? Can't remember, he makes some awsome gear! That is damn good news, I hope his design wasn't squashed in any way by the suits.

True that! JB made the 1st or 2nd 5150? Can't remember, he makes some awsome gear! That is damn good news, I hope his design wasn't squashed in any way by the suits.
James designed the original 5150 and the Peavey Classic series amps. Hopefully these new ones will sound good. Though I'm not excited about the country of manufacture.

I think these are made in China with a what's speculated as a FET solid state driver/phase inverter stage (hence so few preamp tubes). Beyond that, no one really knows.

Seems like EVH felt forced to do the release before it was actually ready (dealers maybe posted the preorders too soon) and there are not much details on the amp and zero demos other than apparently Wolfie is using it.

I can buy EVH's hand being maybe forced to reveal the amp before it was ready for revealing, but I don't think EVH would force themselves to release it before it was ready.

EVH has always made quality stuff and there's no reason for them to rush an unready amp into production. They know word travels fast and a horribly reviewed amp would basically mean their investment in it (researching, tooling and staffing for production) would be a waste. They could have just as easily set the expectation at the reveal that the amp would be "ready to ship in late 2022!" or whatever and we all would have understood because of the leak.

They're probably also aware that a good but late amp will be good forever, while a rushed but bad amp will be bad forever, and therefore much worse for business.

Last edited:
I can buy EVH's hand being maybe forced to reveal the amp before it was ready for revealing, but I don't think EVH would force themselves to release it before it was ready.

EVH has always made quality stuff and there's no reason for them to rush an unready amp into production. They know word travels fast and a horribly reviewed amp would basically mean their investment in it (researching, tooling and staffing for production) would be a waste. They could have just as easily set the expectation at the reveal that the amp would be "ready to ship in late 2022!" and we all would have understood because of the leak.

They're probably also aware that a good but late amp will be good forever, while a rushed and bad amp will be bad forever, and much worse for business.
Yeah, I used the word "release" which was the wrong word. "Announce" is probably the better word.

I can’t think of a single damn person walking the face of the earth that should have the honor to design this 5150 other than James Brown himself. Dude single handedly designed one of the most brutal metal amplifiers on the face of the earth and provided it to the masses without a boutique tax. They’re also bulletproof - you can drop a 5150 off a cabinet and as long as the tubes aren’t damaged brush it off and fire it right up.

I can’t think of a single damn person walking the face of the earth that should have the honor to design this 5150 other than James Brown himself. Dude single handedly designed one of the most brutal metal amplifiers on the face of the earth and provided it to the masses without a boutique tax. They’re also bulletproof - you can drop a 5150 off a cabinet and as long as the tubes aren’t damaged brush it off and fire it right up.
Agreed, I didn't mention James in the OP, and I should have! He did the 2nd gen of 5150 right? Plus as mentioned some killer peavey amps and his Tight series pedals are outstanding. He's a cool guy! Super down to earth and appreciative. I know he had his own amp some of us rigtalkers were waiting to pounce , did it ever hit the streets? Last I remember he was surveying for a name for that amp.

The Tweaker 15 has a SS Cascode input stage; a FET into a MOSFET.. Apparently it's real common setup.. Guys that know electronics say that it's a good thing because it has a lot of headroom, gain, and it's very quiet because there's no filament hum and no microphonics. All the bad things won't be amplified by latter stages..

We can all assume JY knows WTF he's doing. With only 2 preamp tubes, he must have a lot of SS in there to equal gain levels of the early models. We'll see if the community gives it a pass.

Attachments

• SDFsdf.png
    SDFsdf.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 27
Given the MDF cabs, odd Celestions, and the price, this clearly seems aimed as a budget line below the 5153. That doesn't mean the amps and cabs necessarily will sound bad, but it does temper expectations.

I am very interested in this amp.
Will it replace my FJA mailman mod 6505? Doubtful.
But at the projected price, I wanna try one for sure.

Back