Whats your go to sound?

ClintN667

I always dial in everything pretty much the same way so I always sound like me.

I tend to just use a boost and then a delay in the loop. Then I usually have my mids around 6, bass between 4-6, then treble 5-7. The gain is usually I keep the gain a bit on the lower end then let the boost take it the rest of the way into high gain territory.

What do you guys use and what are your typical settings? What is your go to sound?

Just curious to see what you guys do and maybe I can learn something new to try. I've seen some people use EQ's in the loop or different tone stack settings that might not seem like the typical setting but it works.

We always talk about gear but only superficially so let's geek out a bit. What do you find that works in a mix that doesn't typically sound good on its own?

It's maybe lame, but I just use some pretty standard issue amps (2204, 5150, Tremoverb) with the standard cabinets (1960 with either G12M or V30 or a Mesa OS412) and just let them do what each of them is meant to do (crunch/boosted metallic rock, metal, and boosted METAL, respectively).

I just end up frustrated when I try to use something more esoteric or to get one of these amps outside it's comfort zone.

More specific with the QC. I have 12 presets with the exact same block set up.

EXP pedal (wah) > OD > chorus > vibe > AMP > hi-lo pass EQ > loop > reverb > 9 band EQ for cleanup

NO IRs/CABs needed cause I'm using a guitar cabinet.

OD is set based on the amp.
El Cap and Dig pedals in the loop so they can be easily tweaked and also be global.
Reverb after the loop is shimmer used only occasionally.

Mesa Mark IIC+
Omega Obsidian
Soldano SLO100 lead
Bogner 101B XTC red boosted

Matchless Lighting 15
VH4 CH1 cleans - stock model
Vox AC30 top boost - stock model
2203 - stock model

Mark III red - stock capture
Mark IV red
JP-2C - stock capture
Gijora 5150 III Stealth

Last edited:
The Larry dino British channel is my go-to sound.

I run it into a stereo 4x12, with a power station powering the line out, and with reverb/chorus/delay in the power station fx loop.

I have a MXR line driver for a slight boost, but most often I just set the Scream channel volume a cunthair higher and switch to that for leads.

My eq is set bass 5, mids 5, treble 6.5, presence 6, bite at 8, punch at 4.

It ends up sounding something like this
Listen to The Doom of Mandos by Daniel Travis on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/ooZWE

I’d have to say that as much as I love my Mesas at home, it takes a little work to get them to gel in the mix. That’s why 98% of the time I’d grab a Marshall for the gigs. And, my home eq for the Marshall became even brighter at the show.
It’s all about the cut in a mix. Over the last 10 years I’d say a boosted Jubilee was my main gigging amp; with an 82 2204 a close second.

I’m a boosted Marshall guy at heart.

SD-1 always on and I run it at 12V, zener limited internally to 11V. This reduces the drive level cleaning it up, letting me crank the drive to get a more raw tone than running the drive low but at 9V. Also lets me push the amp harder on the level control. Level almost all the way up but not quite, drive at half, tone in the middle.

2203 Marshalls set with gain on 8 to get the bypass cap into the tone, mids at 6.5, treble at 6.5, bass anywhere from 5 to 8, presence depends on the day and humidity but usually from 5 to 8.

I like a lot of mids/high mids and treble with a tight deep bass and not much if any low mids like a mesa. I tend to dial in amps this way regardless of what it is.

I’m a boosted Marshall guy at heart.

SD-1 always on and I run it at 12V, zener limited internally to 11V. This reduces the drive level cleaning it up, letting me crank the drive to get a more raw tone than running the drive low but at 9V. Also lets me push the amp harder on the level control. Level almost all the way up but not quite, drive at half, tone in the middle.
Yank out that zener and throw in a jumper. I did it on mine and it made life easier. :cool:

I like a Les Paul with a nice PAF, etc into a Marshall or Marshall-type amp. Not as low gain as ACDC but not quite full metal.

Reactions: Geo
Generally non cathode follower is more my thing .... 4 gain stagers , as cool as some of the jose stuff feels the zener just squash my tone to much.

Mesa Mark series also one of my favorites as well

We are talking about different things.

The link states how to convert an old boss SD-1 from 12V to 9V

Im taking an already rated 9V made in Taiwan SD-1 and running 12v up it’s ass 😂

Im getting lots of interest in PMs over this so just know the limiting diode for MIT models has a shunt diode from Vdd to Gnd that isn’t in the link above - it limits to 11V. I’d suggest leaving it to save the opamps if you can but you can change it out to 12V. All electrolytic caps need to be rated to at least 15V for this to work.

Yes, I prefer the sound. More angry, more use of the level knob, more output, and you can crank the drive now to add back in gain that you’ve removed running the opamps at a higher voltage.

Its like an SD-1 on steroids and with a whole lot more headroom. It takes it to a whole new level. The Bogner clip I recently recorded in the Bogner sub forum uses it In this manner.

We are talking about different things.

The link states how to convert an old boss SD-1 from 12V to 9V

Im taking an already rated 9V made in Taiwan SD-1 and running 12v up it’s ass 😂

Im getting lots of interest in PMs over this so just know the limiting diode for MIT models has a shunt diode from Vdd to Gnd that isn’t in the link above - it limits to 11V. I’d suggest leaving it to save the opamps if you can but you can change it out to 12V. All electrolytic caps need to be rated to at least 15V for this to work.

Yes, I prefer the sound. More angry, more use of the level knob, more output, and you can crank the drive now to add back in gain that you’ve removed running the opamps at a higher voltage.

Its like an SD-1 on steroids and with a whole lot more headroom. It takes it to a whole new level. The Bogner clip I recently recorded in the Bogner sub forum uses it In this manner.
Ahhh. My MIT had the old style power jack, so it wasn’t seeing 9v. So I converted it.

The link is only for the old style power jack models.

Lots of us love liquid gain in the bedroom and Marshall wallop live.

My old 'other' guitar player from a road-band we had in the 90s came up to show off his kemper last weekend.

He sounded exactly how he always did.

He said the same thing about me and my Axe-3.

We used to both play MP-1s and tube power amps together.

Back