A HUGE band you saw before they broke?

not really a brag, but i saw nickelback, and linkin park, with another band, at The Shelter (if you've ever seen the movie 8 mile, its the club Em is battle raping in), in Detroit in 98 or 99. I just went cuz it was something to do that night, never heard of any of the bands, and didn't really think they were anything special, but obviously shows what i know cuz both bands got massive.

Battle raping :love:

I'm with PB.

The band were doing OK but they weren't selling many albums and had no hit songs/MTV vids prior
to the Whitesnake album, which was one of the biggest of the 80s and made the band mega-stars.

Many of the bands that toured NE Ohio played Chippewa Lake Amusement Park. Here is a pic of The Bob Seger System playing at Chippewa Lake Amusement Park. I saw a lot of up and coming bands there when I was a kid.

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 9.07.42 PM.png

Hey, don't feel bad; I nominated my regular gig supporting The Wiggles back in the '80s... when they were a country-rock band called The Cockroaches. :LOL:

Late 1982 my band INVADERS played our first show at the Troubadour in Hollywood. A fairly unknown band at the time was the opening act. We were to go on right after them. The band was SLAYER. I kid you not. As they took the stage our singer and I stood on the balcony looking on in amazement as they proceeded to devastate the place. Fog machine and light show and a blistering set. Afterwards we just looked at each other in utter shock. I looked at him and said... we gotta follow that shit. DAMN. Fortunate for us we drew about 200 plus people ourselves and pulled off a decent show. We did one other show with those guys not too later on at a place in Buena Park called The Woodstock and then they became huge and the rest is history for them. Good times. Did a show with Lizzy Borden too. Best years of my life.

Late 1982 my band INVADERS played our first show at the Troubadour in Hollywood. A fairly unknown band at the time was the opening act. We were to go on right after them. The band was SLAYER. I kid you not. As they took the stage our singer and I stood on the balcony looking on in amazement as they proceeded to devastate the place. Fog machine and light show and a blistering set. Afterwards we just looked at each other in utter shock. I looked at him and said... we gotta follow that shit. DAMN. Fortunate for us we drew about 200 plus people ourselves and pulled off a decent show. We did one other show with those guys not too later on at a place in Buena Park called The Woodstock and then they became huge and the rest is history for them. Good times. Did a show with Lizzy Borden too. Best years of my life.
Wow, amazing story. Just to confirm, it was THE Slayer everyone now knows right? Because at the time there was another Slayer from San Antonio Texas who occasionally played on the west coast.

Wow, amazing story. Just to confirm, it was THE Slayer everyone now knows right? Because at the time there was another Slayer from San Antonio Texas who occasionally played on the west coast.
It was the SLAYER. It may have been early 1983. I had thought it was late 1982 but I could be wrong on the exact date but yes it was the real deal Slayer. The other venue they played was The Woodstock in Buena Park.

Last edited:
Phish - I think January of 1989. I was a cameraman for a public access recording. Not really my kind of thing, but you could see they had the dead crowd even back then.

This is too good
My friend convinced me to go saying they were this huge new rock band. The drummer was really good but I guess back then tuning your guitar, singing on key, remembering your parts, or taking baths were optional to them. Then a few years later they got huge.

Back