Fryette Deliverance, your feedback

ZEN Amps

So just saw some talk of this amp in this thread and it prompted me to consider one again.

Amps you've gigged with

Tell me about your experience with either the new or old models. I have the Synergy module but interested in the amp. The usual prob down here in Australia, can't try before buying and the return policies are either non-existent or shit.

I have a bunch of amps - I'm guessing the most similar ones to a Deliverance are a Wizard MCii and Friedman BE100. Not sure where the Fryette actually sits to be honest, but I've heard lots of good things.

I played an old D120. It was badass. Very big sounding amp. Could do a great midgain crunch, in the same ballpark as a 2203 sorta. But could get much higher gain too and be tight and aggressive but not stiff.

Very nice amp IMHO to be able to do all that without needing a boost pedal.

I've owned the D120 and D60 series II and returned both. Something about the feel and the tone in general I didn't jive with. I liked the D60 series II better than the 120 II which was dark unless you cranked up treble and presence but then it became harsh.

I also owned the old VHT D60 which I remember liking quite a bit, but I acquired an MCII shortly after and it was just a better amp in every way. The old Deliverance is a bad ass amp, but the Wizard is more articulate, bigger sounding, more organic/open, more dynamic, has more harmonic swirl or bloom, and just has a better overall tone IMO. The series IIs I recently returned sat next to my MCII and it was no contest.

D120 original I had. Big sounding amp, needs some volume to sound right but by that time its at band volume if that works for you. Very very clear and dry. I think the 60 would be the way to go if you want more of an organic tone with a little more give and compression but I haven't tried one to say.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 120. I think either amp would be badass. Love to try one. Buddy in the great northern wasteland has an old d60 with a choke. But he won't bring it down to let me play with it.

I think I'm more interested in the mid-gain (say 2203) sounds. Besides the Wizard I have a few amps for the high gain stuff, but would love to have more options for classic to hard rock.

On the other end of the spectrum I'm keen to try the Diezel Herbert MkIII. A MkI version I had many years ago did surprisingly good medium gain rock tones.

Im sure some would disagree but I wouldn't go Fryette for classic and hard rock, Ive had a bunch of them but if you did do fryette I would say clx can do almost anything. Bogner comes to mind though if you want something different from a Marshall sound that is more organic than fryette.

I think i heard someone say that a Jcm800 was the base for the deliverance. don't know the truth of that. I know that Fryette said the dr103 was one of his favorite amps. So it could be a mix of a hiwatt and marshall kinda. I know wizard is kind of hiwattish, so maybe you would like it too. I have the wizard version of the jcm800 and i htink that a deliverance could be a cool friend for it.

I think i heard someone say that a Jcm800 was the base for the deliverance. don't know the truth of that. I know that Fryette said the dr103 was one of his favorite amps. So it could be a mix of a hiwatt and marshall kinda. I know wizard is kind of hiwattish, so maybe you would like it too. I have the wizard version of the jcm800 and i htink that a deliverance could be a cool friend for it.
That's a new model right, the W800? Tell me about it, I'm curious to know how different it sounds to an MCii. I mean I'm aware of the circuit differences, but in practice I wonder if they are that different.

I am afraid I will be of little help. I have never played the McII. Love to try it though. To me, it has a really good gain sound that is dead quiet. When you turn the master to around 10 am the power tube saturation kicks in and gives it this bell ringing type quality. But i have a few clips of it on soundcloud. They are just my shitty playing with a mic into the interface around 103 dbs. I don't know how to do anything fancy like post eq, so it is just what the amp sounds like. this is a track i made to show boosted vs unboosted.

I think the Deliverance is a killer amp. Can certainly pull a fat mid gain tone and excels at it in my opinion. I have only experience with version 1's. I preferred the D60. The Hiwatt/800 description fits well.

I’ve owned a series ii and after Fryette got rid of the choke version D120. I didn’t like the series 2 as much because I felt it didn’t get as saturated and didn’t like the feel as much. The D120 has a plate voltage of 420v so to my ears it tends to Be darker voiced then the 60. I liked both amps tone but ended up selling them.

I love Fryette amps. LOVE them.
Pitbull's likely my fave but man, the D60 was and is just glorious in its delivery.
Tight, thick, percussive, a simple sound with a complex tone (if that makes sense).
Punch to the gut potency.
And imagine, they're not boutique priced.

Fryette is HIGHLY underrated IMHO both cabs and amps. Shame, cuz they're bloody great kit.

*had to edit due to typo - I loathe typos.

Last edited:
I had a D120 back when it was VHT. Probably 13 years ago. I got it new at GC for $1k and added the Deliverance 4x12 cab. It was spectacular sounding! However it was wall shaking at 9 o'clock. The master is all or nothing. I stupidly sold both on CL.

Last week I purchased a Fryette D60 Series II new from MF. It unfortunately arrived damaged and it did not come with the footswitch. I played on it before sending it back. Once again the master was the same. This amp just kicks you in the gut. Talk about an in your face amp! Crushing, tight, mean, articulate, and then beautiful cleans on top of it.

How this amp cleans up with your guitar volume is like no other. If this amp didn't need a Power Station, I would have asked for an exchange.

I think I'm more interested in the mid-gain (say 2203) sounds. Besides the Wizard I have a few amps for the high gain stuff, but would love to have more options for classic to hard rock.

On the other end of the spectrum I'm keen to try the Diezel Herbert MkIII. A MkI version I had many years ago did surprisingly good medium gain rock tones.
Herbert mk 3 does great classic tones

I am afraid I will be of little help. I have never played the McII. Love to try it though. To me, it has a really good gain sound that is dead quiet. When you turn the master to around 10 am the power tube saturation kicks in and gives it this bell ringing type quality. But i have a few clips of it on soundcloud. They are just my shitty playing with a mic into the interface around 103 dbs. I don't know how to do anything fancy like post eq, so it is just what the amp sounds like. this is a track i made to show boosted vs unboosted.

Thanks for sharing this, sounds great. Hard to tell without having them in the same room but that does sounds more Marshally to me than the MC, which makes perfect sense.

Thanks to everyone else for chiming in. So many amps I'd like to try, but in my part of the world buying one new is often the only option, and that stings. The D60 in Australia comes in at $2900 USD, and the Herbert at nearly 5k. I've said it before to my American friends - you have no idea how lucky you are when it comes to music-related gear!

Thanks for sharing this, sounds great. Hard to tell without having them in the same room but that does sounds more Marshally to me than the MC, which makes perfect sense.

Thanks to everyone else for chiming in. So many amps I'd like to try, but in my part of the world buying one new is often the only option, and that stings. The D60 in Australia comes in at $2900 USD, and the Herbert at nearly 5k. I've said it before to my American friends - you have no idea how lucky you are when it comes to music-related gear!
Bring yours over here. Texas and Australia are brothers. I would love to try the MCII. I think it is based on a silver jubilee which is a sexy fucking amp

Ha of course, I'll drop by when I'm in the neighbourhood! Yes I believe the MCii has some topology in common with the Jubilee. I have a 2555x that sounds good, but the MCii blows it away big time :rock:

They are really cool amps. If i was playing in a hardcore or metalcore band or something? That would be a great sound.

but, its DRY. Really, really dry. Not as dry as a pittbull UL, but it takes getting used to.

So it can be a great amp if it's for you, but make sure you can handle that sort of stiffness and sterility.

Back