Fryette Deliverance, your feedback

I sold a bunch of the Deliverance amps back when they were VHT. Used an UL as my main amp for quite awhile. For classic and hard rock tones, I would look elsewhere. A Wizard MC and Deliverance really sound nothing alike. For Classic and hard rock the MC is pretty awesome, its what I have now (since 2005).

Both are great amps just very different….

Been a few years since I've posted (or played much tbh), but I recently started getting back into the swing of things and just picked up a new D120II. Sounds amazing. I think it works for just about any genre.

Full disclosure, first one I received had a defective gain ii pot, which hopefully would've been identified by someone else. It makes a noticeable difference. Also, I play mine through a PS2 because it is extremely touchy.

Have you seen this recent clip?

Listen to any Page Hamilton/Helmet - that's a UL with P50E loaded cabs, straight up no bullshit Fryette punch-to-yer-face goodness.

That's a new model right, the W800? Tell me about it, I'm curious to know how different it sounds to an MCii. I mean I'm aware of the circuit differences, but in practice I wonder if they are that different.

I sold that amp to smashedguitarist. His is a pre-production prototype so it's a little different from the current model. I owned that and my MCII at the same time. There is a little bit of similarity (based on the way I dial them in), but the W800 definitely has more of the Marshall DNA to it. The MCII has more gain and is tighter. Both have that signature Wizard punch. The W800 likes a little bit of volume to come alive as well. I once ran the preamp of the W800 into the power amp of my KT150 MTL and it was incredible. Some day I'll probably order a KT88 W800 with a depth knob (instead of the contour). Rick actually has one in the works right now for another member on this forum.

I like the new D120. Been very happy with mine. I had an old 60 as well and really liked it. Both are very loud and need to be played with some volume. I find the right cab and speaker makes a bigger difference than some folks may realize. When you get it all right the sounds are golden. Takes pedals well if you want to go that route. It can cover a lot of ground if you know how to work it and your guitar volume / tone knobs.

I sold that amp to smashedguitarist. His is a pre-production prototype so it's a little different from the current model. I owned that and my MCII at the same time. There is a little bit of similarity (based on the way I dial them in), but the W800 definitely has more of the Marshall DNA to it. The MCII has more gain and is tighter. Both have that signature Wizard punch. The W800 likes a little bit of volume to come alive as well. I once ran the preamp of the W800 into the power amp of my KT150 MTL and it was incredible. Some day I'll probably order a KT88 W800 with a depth knob (instead of the contour). Rick actually has one in the works right now for another member on this forum.
I wonder who...you already called dibs on it :p

I sold a bunch of the Deliverance amps back when they were VHT. Used an UL as my main amp for quite awhile. For classic and hard rock tones, I would look elsewhere. A Wizard MC and Deliverance really sound nothing alike. For Classic and hard rock the MC is pretty awesome, its what I have now (since 2005).

Both are great amps just very different….
Ya, I bought one of those. Still use it. It doesn't sound like a Marshall, but I think it really shines in the mid gain department. I've used it for country, motown, rock, you name it. Really sensitive to preamp tubes, though. Fryette is using JJ tubes now (instead of Chinese), might be some of the reason the new ones are darker.

Ok yep that all makes sense. Out of interest, how similar to a 2203 is the W800? I have a nice 2203, and can't at all justify getting another Wizard... but tell me anyway.

Ok yep that all makes sense. Out of interest, how similar to a 2203 is the W800? I have a nice 2203, and can't at all justify getting another Wizard... but tell me anyway.

I haven't had them side-by-side to really go into a good comparison, but it's basically a JCM 800 circuit with a little bit of a Wizard flare.

The Deliverance is for the weak who can't tame an Ultralead.

(quickly covers head and runs out of the room dodging the rocks being thrown)
Agreed… sometimes both is good too!

pLOcEfp.jpg

Deliverance is great man.

If I played different genres than I do, one of these would make it into the stable

That said, they sound glorious clean and dirty

One of my favorite amps ever. Ive had the d60, and the 120. A very dynamic amp and will do alot with just your volume knob. If i ever run into one again with a loop and a decent deal, ill jump on it.

Back