OPINION: VSTs Sound Like Absolute Dog Shit

BigGuitars

It's probably just me. My hands don't agree with them. My ears don't agree with them, but you'd think at least I could find one tone in the plethora of models available that suits me. Doesn't look that way. I just don't get what people like about VSTs other than the convenience. Either I'm doing something completely wrong, or they really are just cheap digital gimmicks that sound like crap. Just a big grift. Either way, I'm just left baffled by how ungodly awful anything I try to record with them sounds. I'm familiar with the basics about setting up the interface, EQing out mud and whatnot. But they still sound like cruddy, muddy, flubby pieces of crap to me. Got to be some other guys that agree with me.

Wanna play the game of, which is my real driftwood purple nightmare and which is the stl tonality plugin version?

I will play, just because I am often impressed by what you put out.
But I would probably like both versions.

Thanks homie. The stl tonality suite is phenomenal. I highly doubt anyone will say one sounds “more like the real thing than the other”, however it may be possible one likes over the other, but I 100 percent doubt anyone will say for sure which is which.

Really depends on amp sim and IRs.

Do some of them sound like shit? Of course, just like some amps sound like shit.

Mercuriall does great stuff, NDSP has some good ones and like said above, that Lasse STL Tonality suite is sick.

I have a Herbert and there’s a preset in there that sounds like exactly how I set the Diezel up with a boost and a fuzz on ch2+, big and somewhat bassy but still tight enough for chugs. It’s pretty amazing what amp sims sound like anymore, really. They’ve come pretty far in the last 5-6 years or so.

I’m the room yes. Recorded, no
Well…. Duh, yes.

Also who cares about “in the room” when using PLUGINS? And define in the room? You mean my amp through a loadbox and an IR coming out of my studio monitors vs an amp sim of the same amp with the same IR coming out of my studios monitors? I’d say no, once again , you can’t tell, if that’s what you define as “in the room”. I’m not sure how you could compare a plugin to an amp on “in the room” tones any other way. And yes I’m aware you can run an amp sim out to your power amp to a real cab, but that’s not really what we are talking about here at all, and yes the real thing would win vs that every time.

I assume you’re playing through studio monitors, what monitors are you using and what interface or how are they connected to your computer?

Yep! You just tell me which one is shittier!
Lol

All jokes aside I would like to hear it, and maybe pick your brain on how to properly use VSTs. It's got to be just that I'm a dumbass because I can't believe anybody would make products that sound this bad.

Back