What's the most you've spent on a piece of gear.

Relative to the economy? $3,800 for a custom Thorn about 20 years ago. Drove to his shop up in LA
and selected all of the wood blanks.
Took a little over 18 months to get and then I sold it in less than one. Made about $500 on the deal and got an R9.

Stunningly beautiful to look at but dead as a door nail tone wise.
Plus the upper fret access was terrible.

Untitled.png

In hindsight I call it "The Liberace Experiment". Two valuable lessons learned. Never buy a new guitar brand/shape without trying and NEVER trust a luthier who lets you choose the body and neck based on cosmetics alone without first checking that they have a similar resonant frequency.

Last edited:
$1,800.00 on a Limited Edition Les Paul Standard back in 2006. The Guitar was from 2001 & had been on the shop wall for years. Other than that My Marshall Jubilee Slash Sig 2555SL I paid $1,700.00 later sold for $3,000.00

£3600 n a two rock traditional clean head and cab. Awesome amp but sold it to get a two rock jet and a Bogner 3534. Next to that it’s £2700 on my Friedman vintage s.

I look poor in this thread! I'm pretty sure the $1600 on my SLO is the most I've ever spent on any of my instruments. However, that was ~20 years ago, and most of my bigger gear purchases were when I was more active, so original Charvels, etc. were all over $1000 but years ago.

$1700 for a San Dimas built RR Jackson, serial number 1885. Metallic purple with white stripes and a gold pick guard. Anyone seen it?

:giggle:

Very true. I had to deal with testicular cancer late last year and then chemo treatments for 3 months afterward. I'm doing good now, but that experience really put my mortality into question. The past several months I've been heavy into gear buying/selling to try out some more expensive stuff that I would have never given the time of day otherwise, in an attempt to find a few "lifer" amps that I love. My logic being: life is short and the cancer could possibly come back.

I know it's not completely rational. I do feel like I have been living life more fully since chemo finished though.
Yeah man. Totally rational. 2 heart attacks here and I'm not 50 yet. 2 spinal surgeries since July and now find out I have to have carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. Been on buying spree here too. Enjoying my shit while I can. Who knows when you won't be able to anymore.

A 1954 Gold Top from Gruhns many years ago. I had a good year and wanted to treat myself, but it wasn't much of a player and I flipped it the following year for a small loss. Ah well, was worth it for the experience.

$2,500 for my N4 Vintage. That hurt my soul to send that money...lol! I'd love an SS100 or a Suhr SE100, but I cannot bring myself to spend that kind of money. I can't justify it as a weekend warrior...lol!

It's a tie, $2850 for a new Bogner 101b and the same amount for a used 2012 Les Paul Custom.

I paid around 3k for my 79 Les Paul Custom. For amps my new Monomyth was 2700. I’m ordering a Jackson Custom shop King V and that’s gonna break the bank and be around 3500.

oni customs idk how much (4500+/-) depending on exchange rate at the time

amps maybe 3k or a little more i don't know, 5 figures is extreme, i'd like to see whatever that is or was

i know a jazz musician who owns several benedettos and a fully custom comins that wasn't cheap but he's a working musician so it makes a hell of lot more sense than my custom shenanigans

B-low is the comins

I find it perplexing that most people balk at spending a lot on a high quality hand wired tube amplifier but will fork out 3 times as much on a custom shop Gibson or some other high priced guitar. I'm the opposite. My self imposed limit on a guitar is $2500 USD but I'll spend whatever it takes on an amplifier. I can get "my tone" on almost any decent playing guitar but certainly not on many amplifiers. The amp trumps the guitar on overall tonal importance.

I find it perplexing that most people balk at spending a lot on a high quality hand wired tube amplifier but will fork out 3 times as much on a custom shop Gibson or some other high priced guitar. I'm the opposite. My self imposed limit on a guitar is $2500 USD but I'll spend whatever it takes on an amplifier. I can get "my tone" on almost any decent playing guitar but certainly not on many amplifiers. The amp trumps the guitar on overall tonal importance.
I think because guitars hold their value better than amplifiers.

Back